I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Am I alone beyond belief
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 05:39PM

Back to rod building after a two year break.
went down chemist (pharmacy) to pick up some acetone usual place didn`t have any so i go to my local one.
Got told "Nobody uses acetone to clean rods . I have been fishing for forty years and NEVER cleaned a rod yet so what do you really want it for??" I explained to degrease the rod and clean up epoxy drips and got laughingly told "your joking NOBODY BUILDS FISHING RODS THEY BUY THEM".
I took a few samples back and got sneered at..
Then i thought OK I`ll have the last laughhere (remember I`m in the UK and cant get denatured alcocol ) so I asked the nearest thing to it ( Knowing that isopropynol is the nearest i can get ) got told "mmmm errrrrr try VODKA" ..
so nobody builds rods anymore eh so what are we all doing are you all just talking and posting old pics??? is Tom a figmant of our imagination is rodmaker really in existance.. I believe so but feel free to post EXACTLY what your up to (and where you are) so I can run the laptop down to this so called pharmicist and show him where to stick it.
On a happy note I went to my other chemist and got a welcome like I`d never been away to find that they had "stockpiled" acetone for me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Am I alone beyond belief
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2008 05:48PM

Just show him this:

[www.rodexpo.com]

Heck, people even make their own "pharmaceuticals."

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 06:14PM

NICE ONE TOM that will make the daft b+s_@~d think twice about not selling me what i ask for .
I mean like i can do soooooo much damage with 50ml of acetone like er maybe blow up a ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm well errrrrrrrrrmy 25ml epoxy mixing cup wow think of the damage there

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 02:09AM

Allen here in the states we can get Acetone at any hardware store or auto parts house. Buying a pint (not beer) is ok. Some stores kind of gives a guy a second look. They are wondering what you are up to. Some druggies use Acetone a ingredient to make Meth. You can also try MEK
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2008 08:10AM

You can probably get by with less than acetone. Regular isopropyl alcohol, 90%+, is going to do most anything you'd need to do.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 11:19AM

Hey Allen, I am one of a dying breed (likely because I use sooo much acetone) that uses acetone a lot in my rod building. I usually get it in 5 Gallon containers and just pour off a quart at a time as I need it. It is still readily available here. My best buddy is a Taxidermist who makes fiberglass fish mounts and he uses it a lot in his business too so I can always sneek a quart in an emergency. Just be careful and use the stuff in a ventilated or very open area and watch for skin problems too because some have sensitivities to it. You might check into shops that make fiberglass items like auto body shops and the like if you still wish to use it.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2008 11:20AM

Here in OZ.......... MEK is the hard thing to get without those special looks from the other side of the counter.
its local tag is "sniffers delight"
I used to use it for cleaning reel components under the house , but the missus banned it as she hated the smell with a passion & started yelling as soon as the lid came off.
Best source for acetone is anyplace that does fibreglass work.............. they use it for cleanup.
They get it in bulk & its cheap there rather than hardware stores or pharmacy...... just take an empty tin with you.
DenisB

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr04.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 28, 2008 01:52PM

Hey Allen
I too am in the UK,if you go to any maplins store you can buy sopropynol ot denatured alcohol there,i bought a big tin and it has lasted me a while for a tenner.

hope this helps

Bryan

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 09:23PM

Hey try going to WALLYWORLD aka WalMart
and try it there I buy it in 16oz bottles there
its where the fingernail polish is.
good luck ,don't know if they have walmat there in the UK.
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster