I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making Epoxy smells better
Posted by: Loo Peng Leong (203.125.84.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:02AM

This would be a question directed to the Epoxy finish manufacturer... is there anyway you guys could make Epoxy smells better with some perfume or aromatic additives? Messing around with Flexcoat 5 min Epoxy and the smell of it gives me a bad headache. May be some light citrus lemon scent (like those of dishwasher fiuld) would be good.

I suppose if you do that our end product the rod would smell good when we hand them over to the owners.

Hope it is not too much to ask for... thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Epoxy smells better
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:54AM

Making the epoxy smell better would do little more then mask the order of the chemical that is giving you the head ach. Which might cause you to stay in the area working with it longer making your head ach worse.

You are getting a head ach because the chemicals are affecting your brain. You need to do something to ventilate the area before you end up with some type of permanent brain damage

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 09:03AM

I noticed the flexcoat finish to be fairly strong also. After switching to threadmaster lite, I discovered the smell was much much less noticeable, still it always pays to mix and work in a ventilated area whenever possible.

I agree that masking the smell is not the answer.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 09:28AM

You want to be very careful that you aren't developing a sensitivity to epoxy. The stuff is pretty safe, but some can and do develop a terrible sensitivity to it.

Limit your exposure as much as you can. You don't have to quit using it, but keep the room well vented and don't allow the stuff to come into contact with your skin.

100% solids epoxy doesn't give off fumes or outgas anything, but if you hover over it you will find that it has a certain smell.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 09:48AM

like Tom said hovering over it is what really messes ya up. place a small fan on low setting near by to create a breeze over the rod so the fumes arent going right up into to your face but being blow sideways and away from you also being replaced with nice fresh air by the breeze.Ventilate the room really well so you arent just blowing fumes around but replacing the bad air with some good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2008 09:48AM by Henry Engle.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:27AM

Can you make it smell like Hoppe's #9?

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:38AM

Yes ........ let's making sniffing glue and pleasurable experience .....(smiling smiley face)

If you do it could become the next teenage high ......... not a good idea in my humble opinion .......

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:44AM

Makeing any chemical smell appealing and nice to prevent headaches is a two sided sword, it may smell good during application, but it will also make it smell nice and appealing to our children and grand children. Not to mention if there is any erotic type chemicals that caused any kind of "high" the wrong kids will be selling it on the streets.

That may sound out of the realm of common sense, however, that was the first thing I thougt of when I read the initial post. JMHO

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:37PM

Why leave the sniffing to the kids and grand kids? Adults do it too, and most work in Washington DC!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:41PM

If you use chemicals YOU are responsible for your personal safety

If you are interested in your personal safety you could benefit by reading these documents

I wish I had read them BEFORE I became sensitized! Really serious business -

Information on sensitization to epoxy system components
[www.dermnetnz.org]

OSHA Solvent Safety
[www.osha.gov]

Good Practical Advice For Handling Epoxy when rodbuilding
[www.epoxysafety.com]

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 09:07PM

Bill is exactly right. Ask him about his reaction. You get sensitized to these chemicals, the reactions are not pleasant!!! Bill , are you able to work with epoxy yet?

Ed Smith

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:21AM

Thanks to Ralph O'Quinn I discovered one error in my technique and I am now using two part amine systems on a limited basis. Skin contact. I work in a air conditioned room with strong air currents. I mix epoxy using teaspoons and little mixing cups stirred by the butt end a cut off Flexcoat bristle brush. I typically place 1/2 teaspoon of each part in the plastic cup and start stirring. When I hold the cup in one hand and stir the finish a high intensity light will reveal that tiny tiny floaters (air bubbles) will float up out of the mix and off they go in the air current. The bubbles can be easily seen if you are out in the sunshine. They are large enough to allow seeing purple and pink colors sheens. I have a feeling that the release of these bubbles is related to the additives added to assist will bubble release and the method of mixing. I guess it would make sence for me to slow down and use one of the ball mixers for mixing. These bubbles were landing on my skin and causing the sites for sores. Long sleeve shirts did not help and possibly even made it worse. I now apply a prescription skin care coating from the elbows down and slip on surgical gloves and it is helping a lot. At certain times even this will not work and a flare up will occur. Arms I can deal with but when it moves to neck, ankles and belly is is back to Permglos and Swifty for a month or to.

Posted by: Loo Peng Leong (203.125.84.---)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:42PM

Wow! Bill... tat's tough. Amazing things we do to pursue our passion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster