I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay and Flex Coat rod dryer
Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.41.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 05:56AM

I am getting an order ready and was looking at the Pac Bay Rod dryers and the Flexcoat ones. Do the flexcoat dryers come with any other stands, or is it just the motor/chuck on its stand? I am leaning towards the Pac Bay since it includes one of the adjustable stands, so leveling the rod will be much easier. I would also get a second stand so I could level everything, and then hand turn for the first hour on the 2 roller stands w/o the motor hooked up, then hook up the motor to the butt and let it go for the rest of the time and free up my wrapping stand. I am currently using my home made wrapping stand for my drying stand and it's a pain to level out. I searched and people have some issues with the chucks from PacBay opening up, but I would use a hose clamp on it to keep the chuck closed. The Flexcoat is like $70, plus getting two stands at around $35 each, the PacBay is $60 and then another $35 for the extra stand. $140 vs $95. It doesn't look like I can use the hose clamp trick on the Flexcoat chuck, will it handle butts up to 1.50" at the end?? It seems like the RPM is a personal preference, some prefer 4-6,others 9-11, others 40, so I figure if i really hate the 9rpm, I can get another motor. I also have a functional sewing machine that i stripped, so I have a motor, foot pedal, etc for my rod wrapper, so I can apply the epoxy at higher speeds. I just need to get a basic chuck, make a stand for it, put the gears/pulley on the shaft and hook up the belts.

Any other things to watch out for? Slip Chuck is not needed, and the hose clamp should take care of the problem with the jaws loosening. I will hand turn to begin on the 2 rollers, and the use the motor to finish after an hour or two, that way everything stays level. I am debating just getting the Pac Bay power wrapper with dryer included, but I don't have room for it yet!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay and Flex Coat rod dryer
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:12AM

I just started this craft and bought the Pac Bay model. I too have heard some warnings about the chuck opening but I have been using mine religiously for 4 months and have not had any problems out of it.
Good luck.
Steve

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.197.33.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:20AM

Sounds good! It won't see much use yet at this point! I just need something to keep it turning while it dries and to get it off my wrapping stands! Ordered the PacBay dryer and an extra rod stand, and a bunch of other goodies today! Ordered everything I need for my tuna rod!

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:14PM

The Pac Bay chuck will open at times if the locking wingnut is not tightened down well. For me the problem has been mostly with heavier roller rods. For extra security I'll loop a rubber band through itself around the base of the grip and then pull the loop over the chuck.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.197.33.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:16PM

Ok. A local rodbuilder showed me his setup, he uses the hose clamp and loves it! Nice and simple. Tighten chuck down, then put the clamp over the outside of the jaws and cinch that down. No movement!

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:33AM

Over tighting of the wing nut will also cause the center to pull thru on the pac bay unit. I just push it back thru and try to remember to not over tighten it the next time.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2008 08:05PM

I've had some of the same as Timothy. I find that looking at FC equipment is a guess on what you are buying such as stands. I lean more toward other manufactures only because the distributors give more info on what is or is not included. To me its a marketing problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster