I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best temp. to mix and apply Threadmaster?
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 02:02PM

Hey Guys,
I have been using Threadmaster Regular Build for my last few rods and am having a problem with Pot Life. My room is pretty cool so I have been warming the TM by standing the bottles in warm water before mixing. I usually warm it enough for my PacBay mixer to work without the rod spinning around the cup. However it seems that the TM is setting up very quickly, and sometimes thickens back up even as I pour it from the cup to my foil plate. I used LS Supreme prior to this in the same way and didnt have any problems. I seem to get less bubbles w/ TM, but it has been a pain to work with for me. So, am I overheating it??? Any ideas.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best temp. to mix and apply Threadmaster?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 02:19PM

Why don't you try TM Lite?? All the wonderful clarity of the original - yet much longer pot life, much easier bubble release, etc.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 02:20AM

it gets thick, so what. Sure it holds bubbles, it gets thick as snot pretty fast it has no choice to hold bubbles when it gets like that. it almost starts out that way if the room is really cold. After you apply it heat it till the point that it thins and releases them your not heating as hot as you think. Even at that point even where it starts to drip, touch and see how hot it is, it feels warm to the touch.

PS i dont think the pot life is as longer on the thin version its just that when it starts to hit that setting point it doesnt thicken as much as the heavy version so it seems liek the pot life is longer in reality it did the same thing just not as dramatic of an effect.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: May 23, 2008 10:35AM

Henry, I dont really have a bubble issue, I have a viscocity issue right out of the cup. I think I have it resolved, seems I have been heating the two parts too much before mixing.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Colin Dunn (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 05:47PM

You said 'bottles' Do you warm both the resin and hardener? if so try only warming the resin.

Colin

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 06:33PM

Colin, yes I was warming both. I'll try doing only the resin

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2008 08:52PM

Scott Sheets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Henry, I dont really have a bubble issue, I have a
> viscocity issue right out of the cup. I think I
> have it resolved, seems I have been heating the
> two parts too much before mixing.

I dont either really only bubbles are the ones I introduce with the brush or spatula if i get sloppy. But they are quite easy to brush out if they dont come out on their own..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster