I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closure-It's called integrity!
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 02:29PM

Mr. Kirkman;

Thank You for your diligence and commitment toward keeping this site on a professional level to were Rod builders such as myself can come to learn, grow, share, and improve on the craft and businesses I (we) so truly love and enjoy.

Thank you also for “taking it on the hip” from those that have ulterior motives and would like to tear down what you have accomplished through this site and you magazine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closure-It's called integrity!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 03:02PM

Well Said, Steve!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 03:47PM

Agreed, Thanks!

BTW - What is up with some people being negative about this site??? Occassionally, I have received an Email that comes across very bitter...Just the other day I got some kind of crazy rant about a product and I am crazy if I listen to anyone here that says otherwise. Is there some sort of rod builder rift that I am unaware of?

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Date: May 22, 2008 03:51PM

For those who hadn't read it earlier I think Richard Forhan summed it up perfectly in this post

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2008 04:08PM

In the 6 years that this site has been online, we've gotten nearly 300,000 posts from thousands of rod builders. There are currently over 7000 registered users here. In all that time and with all the traffic this forum has had, only about 10 or 12 people have been banned. Usually for very bad conduct and only after they received multiple warnings. But, it only takes a few out of that extremely small number to decide that they weren't treated fairly and then decide to use their time to bother the legitimate users with such emails. Sometimes they take their "case" to other forums which aren't closely moderated and fire shots from those places. Of course, that's one of the reasons that those forums can't build much of an audience beyond a dozen or two dozen guys - the average rod builder isn't interested in that nonsense, they just want to learn about custom rod building.

I've never understood why the few folks who don't like this site, or perhaps me personally, just don't go somewhere else. But then, they seek a large audience and that's tough to find too many other places. So, they continue to come back here, with aliases, private emails, etc. Most of the folks who have the worst things to say about this site spend a good portion of each day here - I see they've been looking in whenever I record the log files for the day's traffic. They just can't stay away.

You will never please everyone and you'd be naive to think otherwise. I do the best I can for the greatest number of people and provide a tremendous amount of leeway in nearly all cases. But there have been a few, rare cases where I had to ban someone or boot a sponsor (again, very, very few) and I firmly believe this site is the better for it. But those very few folks will sometimes continue to try and cause trouble by whatever means they can. Thankfully, we're only talking about a very, very tiny number compared to the total database of registered users and other non-registered readers here. A dozen or so out of thousands, maybe.

And now let's not take this topic into the same realm that the "value rods" topic went. Let's get back to what we do best here - talking about custom rods.

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 04:12PM

THANKS TOM..............THANKS FROM THE HEART

Date: May 22, 2008 04:24PM

As in all business, organizations, publications, forums, and even political parties, sometimes the rise and success of one leaves another headed the other direction.
When the leadership of the one that is not going in the direction they want realizes this, it leaves them with two choices

1-To adjust and turn it around to go in the direction they want.

2 - Blame the one that is being successful for their lack thereof and start a smear campaign hoping to turn things around.
The sad thing is the smear campaigns hurt a lot of people in the process and seldom stop the inevitable. Partly because many people will leave the organization causing the smear campaigns because they simple deicide they don’t like being in an organization with this attitude.
And partly because they are attracted to the one that refuses to partake or bow to the type of garbage they are spouting out.

Sam Walton (Wal-Mart’s) is the perfect example of this.

At one time he and his store were on the verge of bankruptcy. He stepped back looked the situation over adjusted his business plans and became the largest retailer ever.
He did not whine, or complain, or blame anyone else. He took the helm and steered the ship to success. Now the same people that were successes when he was failing want to cry foul and blame his corporation for their lack of success.

I too have received these emails, and for that reason alone I stay here choosing to be part of a group of people that manifest character and integrity that chose to educate and inform others instead of spreading bitterness and hostility.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:36PM

I appreciate the kind notes, but per the rules. let's just get back to talking about rod buildng. Thanks.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 05:53PM

I've talked to people over the years who thought Mother Teresa was a publicity hound and not a very good person at all. Not comparing Tom to MT, just pointing out that there is nobody that is universally liked by everyone. If you are held in high esteem by most then you are on the right track.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 08:42PM

To those that complain: -- - AN EMPTY BUCKET RATTLES THE LOUDEST ! ! !

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 11:02AM

Steve, a good product form down in the bayou is great for complaints. Boudreaux's Butt paste or Boudreaux's Butt wash www.buttpaste.com is where it can be found. it always lightens the mood atleast

Date: May 23, 2008 12:45PM

I want to mention, just so there are no bad assumptions made, that neither David Ahrens nor Sevier Mfg. were banned from the site. We have had 2 nice phone conversations and everything is fine.

The unpleasantness that took place was on the part of unrelated parties who were using false names to post under to further their own personal agendas. It had nothing to do with David or Sevier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster