I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium (fly) reel seats
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:35PM

I'm looking for some options for reel seats to be used on saltwater fly rods. I immediately thought (Struble) titanium, and then checked the prices. ...lol Not in my budget right now.

Are there other (brands) titanium seats that are more affordable? I've never had trouble with aluminum but I'm building a couple of 'special' rods and thought Ti. would be nice if I can afford it.

Thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium (fly) reel seats
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 02:20AM

i've used pac bay's titanium colored channel-lock AL seats on fresh water rods. not sure if it's real titanium coated or simply colored but they look very nice, and they were MUCH more inexpensive than my buddie's struble Ti colored AL reel seat. also, i'm not familiar with salt needs so take this with a grain of salt. heh heh heh get it? grain of salt, saltwater.... i crack myself up sometimes....

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 09:48AM

Keith, why do you feel like you need/want a titanium seat? Is it for their lightness? Or is it because they're impermeable to saltwater corrosion?

If you're looking at a Ti seat because of corrosion, I'd use an aluminum seat and not worry about it. With minimal care, they last quite long. You're much, much more likely to break the rod, either on a fish, in a car door, or on your mother-in-law's noggin, before you need to replace a corroded reel seat.

I love the Struble Ti seat -- it's a thing of beauty. But I have to have a big day at the track to even consider one. It's hard to justify the cost when they're really not needed, except for the Bling Factor, and you can do so much else with the money. It's just my opinion, of course, but they're mostly for rod builders who drive Ferraris (or their customers who drive Ferraris).

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 14, 2008 05:56AM

I remember reading somewhere that titanium seats really do a number on the reel foot as well.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 07:57AM

I posted that I had three fly rods made for my by a very well known Wa state builder and I specified Struble Ti seats. I did this because they were the "best" you can buy (expensive - so they must be the best. Very sorry I did this because the rings beat-up the reel feet and the knurled lock rings do not tighten NEARLY as well (smoothly) as Al. Aluminum-on-aluminum seems to function smoother than Ti-onTi.
I don't use the rods very much any more since I build my own - but when I did use them I would have to work the leading reel foot into the hood a number of times and then tighten the locking ring a number of "clicks" to secure.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2008 07:59AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 04:28PM

Admittedly I wanted Ti for a couple reasons but mostly because I thought it was "the best." Once in a while i want to spoil myself. ...lol

I'm finding a few aluminum seats that look great so i think I'm past the Ti seats...

Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 03:32AM

For Titanium fly rod reel seats look at the CTS and Seaguide.

I have used many of the CTS in the 16mm and 18mm sizes and they can be anodized.

Regards,

Mike

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 07:10AM

Listen to Herb-he knows saltwater fly builds/fishing.

My Alps aluminum seats after many years of salt fishing look like new. I rinse with fresh water from a hose immediately after every use. Same for the same seats I've built into many rods for my son.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2024 03:09PM

Struble made two seats in Ti, one, the U22 all metal Ti didn't last long, the more standard construction U21 was around a good long time, the U22 adjusted by turning the fighting butt, the internal threads never were as smooth as the external thread U21. My Perigee 9 wt. has a U22 Ti seat and to this day it hasn't gotten any smoother.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (68.235.61.---)
Date: February 14, 2024 03:14PM

If we are talking about a reel seat that will hold a reel ultra-securely, never come loose, never rust, corrode nor jam, and is about as light as you can get then a Fuji pipe seat is the ticket. Titanium seats do not come close.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 04:46PM

I really like Alps fly seats, not titanium but function and look great. Have not had one to corrode either with heavy saltwater fishing.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2024 05:14PM

"Titanium seats do not come close." But Alps aluminum seats do just fine in salt. And look great as a bonus. Double locks, reel never moves. What more could I ask?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster