I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Special edition fly rod
Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:36PM

I'm building a special 40th anniversary fly rod for our fly fishing club raffle. The blank is a Loomis GLX 4pc 5wt. I want to the completed rod to reflect the club name and the fact that it is a 40th anniversary special. Here are some options I'm thinking of:

1. I had Decal Connection supply some decals of the club logo and will probably put one on the blank near the inscription. The inscription will state that the rod is a 40th year anniv. special.
2. I also think I'd like to do something with either the reel seat or grip to include the club logo or our 40th anniv. logo, e.g
- grind an oblong shaped "window" in a Fuji graphite reel seat to reveal the blank, adhere the club logo decal on the blank at that point, and then maybe backfill the reel seat with epoxy to to create a sort of window in the reel seat looking at the decal on the blank. Would build up the blank at that point to the ID of the reel seat and finish with epoxy to create a good base for the decal.
- Merely adhere the decal to the reel seat and cover with epoxy or urethane
- I have a small oblong pin of the club logo about 3/4" on minor axis, an 1" or so on the major axis. Was thinking of insetting it at midpoint of the grip, either in the cork directly or in some other material. Then epoxy over it. Would that create an undesirable or uncomfortable hard spot in the grip?
- Have a scrimshaw artist recreate the club logo or our 40th anniversary logo in a piece of ivory-like material as a segment in the grip. SImilar to some of Terry Henson's fine work.

These are just ideas now .. and I am looking for other ideas, experience or comments. Grip materials and the reel seat are options are wide open.

Appreciate the help.

Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Special edition fly rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:44PM

A window pane in the reel seat? Hang on the for new issue of RodMaker - I think you're in for a treat. You can do more than just a window pane in that regard.

Most likely, though, I'd just put the decal on the rod blank, framed by some feather work (fly fishers like that) and use the seat for some nice wood or scrimshaw.

The thing for most fly fishers is a simple but elegant rod that has just enough embellishment to set it off, but no more.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:54PM

American Tackle windowed seat. You can put something in the window, on the seat insert, and not have to do any "backfilling". Just a coat of finish over that little area.

Date: May 12, 2008 07:16PM

Well now you have me all curious Tom. You are right about subtle but elegant for fly fishers. Any leads on where to get custom scrimshaw done at a reasonable cost?

..and Ted .. I have a American Tackle windowed seat with a green graphite insert. Thanks for the tip.

Wayne

Posted by: Jeff Breidenbach (---.uscg.mil)
Date: May 12, 2008 09:26PM

Many embroidry/vinyl/print shops now have laser engravers that'll do glass, plastic and soft metals. I've had my logo etched on reel seats before, and it turns out really well. Hand them a file on a disc, or they can make one up, they put in in the computer, and hit "enter" and it does the rest.

The window idea is a good one, but I'd skip the back-filled epoxy. It'd look nice up front, but over time I think you'd have to contend with yellowing, and cracking. Plus, I backfilled a void I had in some cork one time with epoxy and you could feel the additional weight in the rod. I don't know what a whole reel seat filled would feel like.

Jeff

Posted by: Joe Spencer (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 12:30AM

This might be a bit too subtle of an idea - but for weddings the 40th is the "Ruby anniversary." With a little thought, you could work some small faux rubies in as jewelry. It would be extremely easy to be gaudy, though.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: May 13, 2008 08:56AM

I agree with Tom's advice on simple and elegant. I would use a nice wood insert reel seat with a butt cap thick enough to engrave. I'd have a jeweler engrave the butt cap with club name, date and 40th anniversary.

Date: May 13, 2008 10:57AM

Thanks Steve .. and others. I appreciate the ideas .. keep them coming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster