I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who's your least favorite?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:23PM

...thats a triple dog dare you!!!!

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's your least favorite?
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:30PM

Great minds think alike....................LOL

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 12:21AM

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 09:22AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 12:42AM

This is easy. My work is my least favorite! Having made maybe 15 rods now, I look at my first few I was SO proud of and I cringe! Then I look at what I am doing now and I wonder where will I be in another 15 rods? I can't wait to find out! I need more brothers in law to give my learner rods away to!

And yet, the fellas like what I am doing enough that they will buy the parts if I build them a rod ..... it's a start!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: March 03, 2008 04:21AM

Me, for sure. I always have these great things I want to try, but when finished they never seem to quite turn out just as I'd like. Can be as simple as putting a reel seat on a rod, somehow will end up a bit off center. Or I'll have one fall out of a dryer. or epoxy will fisheye between coats.. or something. Very hard to get a finished product to turn out just like I'd want it to.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 08:52AM

More appropriate to post what "MOVES ME" on this side of the double thread. They can be located in the aisle at the corner drug store with the sign "Laxative" hanging above!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 09:44AM

My least favorite is Eden Bromfeld, Mark Janacek & Mike Crichton aka Talisman from the old photo board. These guys do some amazing work, but for whatever reason have not posted any in several years. SO becasue they've stopped teasing us with insane grips, tehy are on my doo doo list.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 02:00PM

Billy Vivona, No, no, just kidding. Billy I saw your book Saturday. Guess what I am getting for Fathers Day? I don't do too many crosswraps anymore but I have to have that book. It is so well layed out and easy to follow. Even a caveman from Houston can do it.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:42PM

I actually have two least favorites.

1- Those that think they have some sort of entitlement to the information so freely shared on this site. Instead of being grateful for the info and to the people who share it. They get upset when someone chooses not to share or not to share all.

2- Those who jump all over a new idea or concept and go into great lengths as to why it won’t work, with out even having tried it. Attempting to discredit those who have put the time and work into testing and have the actual facts to back up what they have done.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:13PM

WEll, I bet Steve was just put on a few secret least favorite lists, lol.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:26PM

My least favorite builder ever, is now one of my favorite builders and wears pink crocs...go figure. lol

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 10:10PM

I share the same sentiment as a few of you others. My least favorite is me!!! I am pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to something that my name is attached to. Plus I get real upset when things don't go right for me. That's the reason I don't attempt intricut thread wraps and weaves. I'd be throwwing stuff across the room and out the window!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:41PM

Doing house work, when I should be working on a rod or having some one start talking to me when I am tring to figure out a new pattern.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:00AM

Those that won't share info.

Just as a counterpoint to Steve's number one. I just got a copy of Dale Clemen's book on custom rod thread art.

In the first chapter he expressed surprise at the number of builders he ran into that thought they had stumbled on to some magical way of doing things and were very tight lipped about it.. This works both ways, and Dale went on to comment that their desire to keep info to themselves also prevented them from learning from others (since they already knew it all- my inference).

In general the people with this attitude were found to be much further behind in skills than those that freely learned from one another.

Yes sharing info may result in some poor "copy cat" performances, but in general will lead to everyone's progress.

IF the mindset is you want to protect your work as in copyright material, that is one thing.

If the attitude is derived because no one showed you, you paid your dues, struggled along, and figured out things for yourself, it goes back to an unwillingness to communicate with others.

It is a public forum, with the sole intent (as far as I can tell) of exchanging information- and advancing the art of rod building- to poo poo on someone asking questions seems somewhat contrary to that goal.

I will add that the appropriate attitude and ettiquite in asking questions will go along way towards getting the replies your looking for- which may have been Steve's point in the first place.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:43AM

MArk - the problem with sharing info freely, is you cannot control who gets that info and what they will do with it. I'm all for sharing info, but to a degree. I see nothing wrong with teh guy who spent countless hours and loads of money perfecting something, NOT sharing that info with other people. WHy should he/she suffer the pains - give it all away for people they do not know, when those people can go through teh same process to get teh results they are looking for.

What Steve is trying to say is people looking for free handouts of info, and EXPECT it, and have nothing to offer in return. They cannot respect waiting for an article to come out, spending $7 on that magazine - tehy want and need the info right now, and won't lift a finger to do anything for themselves except pretty much harass the person with the info trying to pry it out of them. THE best part, is if the person is given tha tinfo...tehy rarely respnd with a thank you.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 12:41PM

Sometimes my own ego if I havent had a recent attitude adjustment.

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 04:42PM

Billy - I hear ya - there are givers and takers, and those that just want a free lunch.

My only point was to say that we can all go about doing our own thing, keeping our secrets to ourselves, stumbling across new ideas by happenstance, or we can all learn and benefit faster by communicating with each other- the choice is a personal one. I prefer not to reinvent the wheel if it isn't necessary, but don't mind paying a fee for the blueprint either.

I'm quite grateful to be able to buy Dales book ,your book- nice stuff btw, the visual wrap software, and all the other knowledge base that decreases the amount of time I have to put into learning things by trial and error. It's an added bonus to be able to come to a site like this and get answers to questions directly from the authors and manufacturers of such products.

Before the internet if we had trouble comprehending certain aspects of a book or tutorial we might sit down and write a letter or shrug our shoulders and dismiss it as difficult or uncomprehensible- the internet can be a great aid if we're willing to use it.

But yeah- some people can certainly take the expectations of a free lunch too far.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark G

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster