I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who's your favorite?
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 09:13PM

I'm a little apprehensive to start a thread such as this, but this is the most civil group of people I've seen.

I have favorite artists, photographers, writers. People who inspire me. Pieces of art that have literally stopped me in my tracks. This is true of some of the work that I see here. I think Terry Henson does beautiful work. The wood work of Ray Jorgensen is stunning. Whose work moves you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's your favorite?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 09:20PM

Doc's first passion, helping others, motivates me. As does Stan Grace's and Mark Blabaum's. Very generous, giving people!! Many others to add to the list, but these three jump out at me right now.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 09:21PM

i have admired work by so many on this board there are too many to list. if you look closely each has their own style and i freely admit i have taken ideas from many builders. terry henson and ray jorgenson are two of the best. i probably attribute ray jorgenson's work to getting me started in working with wood. i dont think it is a competition and it is unfair to try to compare. how do you compare a nice handle to a weave or exquisite wrap? we are fortunate that so many fine craftsmen share their work and how it is done. that is what makes this board and the people that use it so valuable

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 09:25PM

Problem with something like this, if I answer and I leave someone out - they might be offended & I'll feel like a jerk. For me personally, when I see some of Bernie Cohen's rods, I get inspired. IF you seen a set of his rods, and a set of my rods, it's obvious that he is the person who has the most influence in how I do my rods, from butt to tip.

No disrespect to the dozens of guys who I really really admire - you guys all know who you are as you're on that secret B40 e-mail list, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 09:26PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 10:14PM

Oh my!!! This one is just to hard to answer. I am with Billy's first sentence. The list is big and in no order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 10:15PM by Jim Rippe.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 10:28PM

Hiro Tanaka's threadwork, Terry Hensons fly rods, Ray Jorgensen / Mark Blaubams wood handles...and Mark Crouse, I spent quite some time REALLY looking at his threadwork and talking with him. His threadwork aint bright, but its really,really intense!!.......then you got the other guys that inspire me daily, impress me weekly, have done huge things for rodbuilding in general for many years,help myself and others if asked...you know who are.......and then there's the NERBS, and the ones that will never admit they are one....and Roy Braurer.

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:25PM

If I posted names of all my favorites Tom would kick me off here for using up too much band width.
A lot of them have already been named. There are so many great builders on this board and each one of them has something beautiful and unique to add to the Custom Rod Building world. But the one person that has influenced me the most is Mike Barkley. We have shared a lot of information both on and off the board.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:22AM

I think we would all agree that Tom deserves lots of acclaim and praise. I don't even have a chance to see any of these guys work without the trouble that Mr. Kirkman goes through to make all of this possible. Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:51PM

All of you. I don't think there is anyone who has posted here, at one time or another, who I have not learned from. And that makes it easy for me to help someone who comes to me with questions, because I know I'm just continuing what others have done for me. Meeting some of you in person at the Shows for the past three years has been absolutely a highlite each year, because it's even better in-person. When you sit with someone after hours and you think later what unreal talent they have, you just have to appreciate that.

I don't ever hope to lead the list - too many great ones. I just hope to be included on it someday.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:56PM

Some of the first custom rods that I saw were those of a fellow here in Houston that did weaves. That got me started making my rods and hoping that someday I could do weaves. It took me 20 some odd years to learn of Doc Ski and his video and later Jim Upton. I do admire everyones work especially the fine wooden handles being produced by Mark Blaubaum and others. I got a chance this weekend to see the book Billy Vivona put together and if you are into crosswraps you need to buy one. Howvever, my main interest is to become a weaver in the caliber of Doc, Jim, Hiro, and others so I guess those three guys are the ones at present that are motivating me more.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:23PM

Prior to joining this forum I had only seen a few custom rods built by Aussie Rod Builder, Ian Miller. His weaves and cross wraps have to be seen to believe the quality and individuality. He recently built a 6kg light game rod for G.W Bush. He wove the presidents name into the fore grip and bordered it with two jumping marlin in mirror image. The weave was a silhoette weave done in Ian's trademark gold and black. The rod was presented to G.W by our then Prime Minister, John Howard in a purple velvet rod cover with G.W's name embroidered on it. Talk about classy. This was it for me and a great honor for any rod builder.

Other than Ian, I would have to say the NERBS for their consistant pushing the limits, Mark Crouse for outstanding overall craftsmanship, Doc, Hiro and Jim for their weaves, Mark Blabaum for his handles and Terry Henson for his fly rods. All craftsmen in their own right.

Mark Fisher

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:55PM

First, Tom Kirkman for providing this forum, Rodmaker, and expos. Secondly, all who post here. It's rare, at least for me, to come here and not learn something.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 06:02PM

My favorites are the old (and sometimes young) masters that quietly sit at their lathes creating great works of art and function that stretch the limits of what is possible in this craft.
Just to name a few
Pat Vinzant
JP Timberlake
Billy V and the boys from Yankee land
Duane Richards
Doc.
Putter
Mark Blabaum
Mark Crouse
Terry Henson
Hiro Tanaka
And so on
OK, maybe their not always quite

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:34PM

Tom Kirkman, first and foremost! Without him, I would never have become acquainted with all of the talent, skill and artistry that this forum and Rodmaker magazine provide me!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 10:17PM

Mike got it right. Hands down, Tom K!
This forum, RMM, and the annual show put him at the very top.

Stan

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:46PM

I like everyone on this site. They give excellant suggestions and resources to help with a problem. But mostly my wife She tells me where I have gone wrong . She also keeps me from getting a swelled head.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 12:36PM

Jean Harrington for teaching me and making me do it right and my Mom and Dad for always encouraging me and reminding me to share in everything. Mushy but true.

Other than them my favorites are everyone who puts their heart and soul into their work. Dont ever stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 12:45PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.16.58.67.available.udcc.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 06:09PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is one of the the most beautiful things I have seen. I must add Mark Blaubaum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster