I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis IMX 844 or Rainshadow ISB 844?
Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: January 30, 2008 03:12PM

I have been looking for blank weight on the G Loomis MB844(IMX) blank and have not been able to find it.
Does anybody know what the blank weight is of that blank?
and how does it compare to the Rainshadow ISB 844 blank?

Thanks for the help.
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis IMX 844 or Rainshadow ISB 844?
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 03:14PM

Custom Tackle Supply lists the weights..

Date: January 30, 2008 03:20PM

.7 sure does not seem like much weight.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 04:10PM

i think you misread something the IMX MB 844 weights 2.40 OZs

MB844 IMX 7'0" 1 12-20 1/4-1 FAST 6.0 .595 2.40 HEAVY

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 05:53PM

You're also comparing like products the Rainshadow is IM6 with glass scrim you need to look at the RX8+ blank for a fair comparision.

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 09:24PM

I was saying they were .7 lighter then the 3.1 oz Rainshadow.

Posted by: rich baroch (63.119.48.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 09:09AM

One of my favorite blanks is the Rainshadow IP844. You should look into the IP845...fits your description. It won't disappoint...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 09:37AM

Keith,
I don't see where we're going here. You pick just about the heaviest in all ways blank in the Rainshadow catalog to compare to the Loomis. The similar IMB is not that much heavier and neither is the RX8+. Than you're assuming that the weight of the Loomis is correct, it may not be.
The weights listed for the Rainshadows were off a bit and was fixed by the company and everything was above board and discussed with their customers right here.
No way you'd get that service or integrity from G Loomis.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 09:48AM

Keith -

Consider the Lamiglas XMG LMB864. IMO, it is a much better value than the MB844-IMX.

Jim -

Date: January 31, 2008 09:53AM

That is my fault. I should have explained more.

I am in the process of putting together some bass sticks and have been comparing the Loomis to Rainshadow. It is my intent to build on Rainshadow because of how easy the company is to work with. I was looking to gain some information on the Loomis so I can describe the differences to the folks I build for.

Is the IP844 or 845 the right blank for heavy cover bass or is the Mag bass a better option?

I would never talk about about Batson. I use a bunch of their stuff and they have been a wonderful company to work with. That is the main reason I want to use their blanks.

Thanks
Keith

Posted by: rich baroch (63.119.48.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:08AM

IMO, for the slop I'd go with the IMB844. Heavier tip, 6.5 I believe.

The IP845 has a 5 tip. A little too light if you plan on using heavy mono or power pro and ripping through the slop.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:44AM

Some of that depends on your definition of "heavy cover"
But no way would I use an "IP" for fishing cover

If you are looking for something for fishing slop I would go with the RX8+C865 was designed for that purpose and would also serve you well in other types of cover.

If you are looking for a rod to truly be pulling stuff out of heavy cover. You are going to have to give up on some of the lightness you are looking for, unless you just want to be replacing a lot of rods for unhappy customers. A lighter blank is simply not going to hold up the pressure.
Here are the specs on that blank

RX8+C865
7'2"
Hvy
Fast
12-25
3/8-1 1/4oz
2.52oz.
Satin Black
Jig / Slop / Frog

Date: January 31, 2008 11:33AM

What am I gaining on the RX8 blank that the RX7 blank does not have might be even a better question. Blank weight is close to the same..action seems the same...power is the same.

Thanks Keith

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:08PM

Look in their catalog on page 9 it will tell you about RX8+ blanks.
Out side of the factual info

My personal opinion is; the RX8+ blanks out just perform the RX7, crisper actions, higher sensitivity, balance better, casts like a dream, lighter. It is the best blank they make period!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster