I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What it's all about
Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:15AM

I just delivered a rod to a single mom for her son as a Christmas present. She's done a great job of raising him, "A" student ,scouts , all around great kid. She doesn't have much money but wanted to get him something special. I built probably one of the best 7' spinners I've ever built. When I gave it to her,her eyes lit up. I told her to turn it over and read the enscription " To Tyler Love Mom". She cried and said to me this is something he can pass down to his children in the future. I gave her the rod no charge and she wept till I left. Up I teared up on the way home. Merry Christmas to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What it's all about
Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:38AM

Bill,

Santa can come in many different forms during Christmas, and Santa always knows those who deserve such gifts.
Merry Christmas to you.

Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 06:45AM

You are the man. If everyone did that sometime throughout the year... how great would that be????

Jimi

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 08:01AM

The true meaning of Christmas!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 08:10AM

Bill - you have just used your rodbuilding skills the best way possible! Very well done.

Merry Christmas to you,
Marc

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 09:34AM

Bill = god bless ya' , that young lad will NEVER forget what you have done.i know he will treasure that rod forever!!!! so a VERY merry Christmas to you sir and terrific new year. and to all the rodcrafters out there,merry christmas ,and a great new year!! seasons greetings from the great white north[and it is we got pounded with snow last week]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 09:45AM

A month or so back a young lady from South Caroliina contacted me. She wanted a rod built for her boyfriend who l"oves to fish but hadn't had the opportunity lately because he's been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan for the past 2 years" === Yessir Freebie bass rod for that man.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 10:30AM

Bill you gave the young man way more than a rod. Merry Christmas.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 10:44AM

Bill;
That’s what Christmas has been about form the start!
God giving his Son, you giving your!
Thanks for passing on a two thousand year old tradition.
Maybe that young man will pass it on after you’re gone.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: December 22, 2007 11:13AM

You guys are great. I don't know that I've ever done anything so kind. Kinda makes you think sometimes..... The last time I was home a good friend I hadn't seen in years presented me and my wife Hitomi with two beautifully wrapped striper rods with our names inscribed on them using his own special technique. It was definitely one of the nicest gestures anyone's ever done for me.

Well, just got off watch, time to hit the sack. It's nearly 1a.m. here in Japan.

Phil

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 11:20AM

What a cool holiday story...............

This is what the people on this board are all about.......Putting someone else ahead of themselves, doing something special for someone else, actually taking into account someone else's feelings and placing them ahead of yourself and ................. actually caring about someone else.

This board has a lot of wonderful people and I am glad I visit this site to hear and see the fantastic work that is done by everyone on this site, both in rod building and the generosity I see and hear about.

Kudos Bill!

Terry

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 02:03PM

I don't know about anybody else but I kind of teared up reading the post. God bless you Bill, and good karma has to come your way.

Happy Holidays to all

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 02:51PM

Bill,

From this Bill, I know exactly how you feel. This is mainly what I do repair / restore / rebuild old cast off rods and give them to kids. It's my passion. There is no feeling that beats seeing that childs face light up when he / she sees that rod that was made especially for them. In their favorite colors, with their favorite cartoon caracter or what-have-you, and their very own name on it. It makes it ALL worth it!! Only I know that it was an old rod that someone threw away. To them it's a brand new one that is all their's.

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 22, 2007 05:21PM

Bill Larson, You are Blessed !!
I have done almost the same thing. I must share this with Bill and all my other rod building friends.
My youngest sister who is a single mom has cancer, terminal. She wanted me to build her only son a Bass rod for Christmas. She thinks this will be her last Christmas with him. He is a good young man of 29 yrs with wife and baby and loves to Bass fish.
I built a NICE one, Mag Bass flipping stick just what he needs (according to his fishing buddy). I have prepared an invoice of $503.58. Of course I have listed everything on the invoice like Library tax, Arthritis medicine,Nerve Medicine (3 six paks) etc,etc, anything to make her laugh.
When I totaled the bill I gave her a Christmas Discount of $250.00 (cause Santa's coming). A Sister Discount $250.00 (cause I love you). Her bill comes up to $3.58 cause I know she won't take it for nothing. I will deliver it tomorrow and share the tears with her. Merry Christmas to all !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 05:23PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 07:06PM

MAY GOD BLESS YOU MERRY ROD BUILDER GENTLEMEN...PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL...
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL !!!!! THE GREATEST GIFT IS GIVING...

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 07:34PM

Jay -
What a wonderful, touching story. Beautiful, sentimental, simple and ultimately loving.

Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2007 02:33AM

Job well done, you just made that young man's Christmas - AND his mother's.

I wrapped one for my Father In-Law and Grandfather-In-Law as Christmas gifts, free of charge of course. Although it isn't quite as touching as your story, I'm sure they'll get a kick when their 8' PVC pipe shows up from UPS tomorrow and they wonder what the heck they got!

Merry Christmas everyone!

SQ

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2007 11:20AM

Gentlemen,you humble me. Thanks for your kind words. As I see it, It's something that any one of you would have done given the circumstances. Have a Wonderful Holiday. Peace

Posted by: mark crouse (66.118.91.---)
Date: December 26, 2007 10:21PM

Hi Bill
I read your story, and I love your spirit of Christmas, I also was raised by a single parent, my mom, and she had it hard with 2 boys. So what I am going to do now is for you. Pick any blank from my Web-site and consider it yours free of charge.
Best Regards Mark Crouse - The munich rod man
on the left The Rod shop or www.munichrodmansrodshop.com
E-mail what blank you would like to have. mrcrous@aol.com

Posted by: Steven Kincaid (---.dyn-wireless.t6broadband.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 12:26PM

Bill: I've been meaning to respond to this post ever since I 1st read it. To say the least, it choked me up!! Being a "new guy" to the forum, I have been amazed at the help given, quality of advice and the BIG HEARTS I have seen on these pages. I am truly touched and amazed. Makes me feel like maybe there IS a little hope for this world!! If you ever build another rod for a deserving person like this and you have the need for a stabilized wood blank for the handle or whatever, please let me know. I would be PROUD to donate that towards your build. I'm not sure if you work with wood handles much or not, but if you ever have the need, please let us know. Best wishes, Bill. You should be darn proud. I'll bet that young man had a Christmas like he has never had before!
Regards, Steve Kincaid

Steve Kincaid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster