I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait blank
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.60-67-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 07:58PM

I built a St Croix 3C66MM for a friend of mine who wanted to throw a Bandit 200 series crankbait. It turned out great and he loved it. He showed it to some other fisherman and I now have orders for 4 more. It truly is sweet for this crankbait and that's all we throw down here in south MS. However, he's fishing a trail and on occasion he wants to throw a big DD22 (whatever that is) with a seven footer. I'm looking for suggestions in the G.Loomis or St. Croix line that will have the right amount of give in the tip that won't rip the crankbait out of the fish's mouth. Still have enough butt to handle this DD22 (whatever that is). Does anyone know the weight of a DD22 (..again) and are there any suggestions? I really want to stick with graphite to keep fatigue down but I'll entertain any and all ideas.
Thanks guys
Greg Marshall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2007 08:08PM

Use a graphite popping blank or livebait blank ... look at the G Loomis lineup. My favorites are P844-GL2 and L842-GL2. Light enough to enjoy yet durable enough to survive bass fishermen.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2007 08:37PM

That Crank Bait is made by Bill Norman Lures.
DD22 stands for Double Deep with approximant diving depth of 22 ft.
The lure weighs 5/8 oz.

My suggestion would be close to Jims

I use graphite poppy blanks for this type of lure in a med/heavy.

With this type of lure most times you are fishing off sure and want to throw it as far as possible.
I prefer an 8ft blank for casting distance but would ask my customer. Stay at the least with a 7 to 7-1/2 ft blank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2007 08:40PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 09:12PM

I throw DD22s a lot during the heat of summer. I use a 3C70MHM, and it's the perfect rod for this application.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 09, 2007 09:30PM

The St Croix 3C70MHM noted above.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2007 09:31PM

Agreed, Graphite Popping blank for sure. It's all I use for the bigger cranks. Mine is a Baston IP904 that is 7'6" MH power. I'm sure Loomis and SC has similiar, but for me that Baston is the best crankbait blank I have ever used. I've build and used others, but NONE KEEP the fish attached like that 904 for some reason.

DR

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: December 09, 2007 10:36PM

St. Croix MHM or a Loomis CB845.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 03:55AM

I've built four DD22-specific rods this year and have two more in process for myself and a few other bass fisherman. All were Batson's crankbait series, specifically the CB70H in the RX7 blank. Excellent performing blank for the task. I typically like 7'6" rods for this application, but after trying others in the Batson crank series, I just had to try the CB70H for DD22's. I was very pleased with the action and not let down with casting distance. My team partner uses his for primarily DD22's, but does drop down to Deep Little N's with this rod as well. I haven't tried the popping blanks yet, but likely will this coming year.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 09:10AM

For larger bodied and deeper diving baits like the DD22, I tend to go with the heavier crank bait blanks. In Batson Rainshadow the CB70H or IP845, in G*Loomis the CB847 [Blend] or P845GL2 and in St. Croix the 3C70HM. All of those mentioned are graphite models. Lamiglas has a glass blank, model CCB 84 5M. All these crankers are moderate.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 04:54PM

For what it's worth, as near as I can tell on the bench, the CB70M and the IP843 compare pretty close in static load testing, but the IP is slower.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 09:17PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 11, 2007 11:08AM

I throw alot of deep diving crankbaits and have found that by going the extra 6 inches to a 7'6", I am able to throw the DD22's farther, get them deeper, and not get tired. I now use the Rainshadow RX-7 CB76MH from Rainshadow, through Custom Tackle Supply.
The blank is extremely light and perfect for heavier cranks and traps.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 10:42PM

MB 841 E from lamiglas gets my endorsement. Although I am not a big fan of graphite/ graphite blend blanks for crankin'. I have built on ATC (advanced tubular composites- Bob Loomis' co.) cranking blank and have been very impressed. It was light, small diameter, yet very slow and able to throw baits a mile for a 7' rod. It really is all personal preference, I prefer an even slower blank than the StCroix, which is slow but not quite as slow as the ATC. In reality build all the recommended blanks ecxept ones you know will not work than the ones that work out use, and the ones that don't sell. Becoming a great builder is all about self education more than being told what to do. The best would be ask the customer what he/she exactly is looking for than do it.

Remember that a lot of butt strength is not a great thing for crank blanks or most treble applications including some or most popping applications. There is nothing worst than getting that pig near the boat then because the fish decides to dive and the blank locks up, POP goes the fish. Glass is best. ATC, StCroix are great also, the relaxing but heavier power butt will get that fish out of most trees, and allow forgiveness for the fisherman. You will always make your biggest mistakes with the biggest fish, why not try to put the odds in your favor as much as possible.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2007 10:19AM

My picks in order would be a Seeker BS706. The blank can launch a heavy crank like the DD22 and it plays fish very well. With that kind of crankbait it is usually a prolonged fight, so the give of the seeker is helpful.

After that I would go to St. Croix 70MHM in either the 2C or 3C lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster