I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glues for installing reel seat arbors?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 11:51PM

I still use Flex Coat rod builders epoxy for installing reel seat arbors. I find I can get it to flow and minimize clean up after installing. Wondering if anyone has any tricks for using a gel type (especially Lamar's) epoxy, and keeping clean up of the reel seat down?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glues for installing reel seat arbors?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 12:10AM

I use white plumber's Teflon tape for masking irregular surfaces. That keeps clean-up to a nill for me. This type of "tape" (it doesn't have any adhesive) stretches as you put pressure on it and conforms to even the threads on the reel seat barrels.

I still use Rod Bond for this gluing task. I seldom need to use any of the Teflon tape when gluing up grips and reel seats anymore.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 12:14AM

Outstanding idea. I'll be off to get some teflon tape Friday.

Thanks Putter,

Marc

Date: November 22, 2007 12:18AM

Any good hardware store should have it, Marc.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 12:42AM

Randy;
Excellent idea!
Can't believe with 20+ years of rod building and 30+ years as a plumbing contractor I never thought of that

Date: November 22, 2007 01:08AM

I went without it for over 20 years, too, Steve. Use tons of it in the oilfield and didn't start using it in rod building until about 3 or 4 years ago.

Another tip using this stuff. When ending my wrap, and I go to break the tape, it's hard to find that end when I go to unwrap it later. Before laying the end of the tape down (after breaking it off), I twist the end up so that I can easily grab hold later on and unwrap it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 01:09AM

Thanks for the tip Randy ! Great idea !
I always use Rod Bond, never tried anything else.

Steve; you should be ashamed !!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 01:19AM

I should be ashamed also. I have been a welder for 30+ years and realized a few days ago what a good thread burnishing tool I had laying in my tool box. It is a 7" piece of 1/4 " dia pure tungsten electrode used for TIG welding heavy Aluminum. I rounded off the ends and polished it on a buffing wheel with rouge, looks like it has been chromed. Haven't used it yet, but it's got to be a goodun !

Marc didn't realize he was going to get all these good ideas when he posted !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 01:21AM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 03:46AM

Putter, that is a great idea. I always usie masking tape, but teflon plumbers tape sounds much better. Thanks for the idea.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 10:32AM

We cover the reel seat with blue painter's tape. We make especially sure to get the tape to cover the very ends of the seat, but not the rims, because then the tape ends up being part of the joint and you have to cut it out of there.

We use the "slide and twist" method of actually installing the seat, to ensure that most of the glue gets drawn into the channel between the blank and the arbor (we do the same thing when installing the arbor into the seat). We always leave the two end areas of the assembly bare of epoxy so we don't get a buildup of glue during the installation. Any excess that does get pushed out is wiped off immediately. We also make sure that no excess remains on the rim areas.

We, too, leave a little "tag" of the tape up so we can see where to start removing it. We also wipe off the seat with a moist shop towel (that has a neutral liquid, no residue) as soon as we unwrap it, to get rid of any residue from the tape. We use these twoels to clean our hands before touching anything, and also during and after the installation to minimize the chance of accidentally touching anything while there might be glue on our hands.

I really like the idea of the plumber's tape, though.

A little prep, a little practice, and as little handling as possible seems to be the "secret".

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 05:26PM

Harbor Freight has boxes of teflon tape at a good price. One box has about 10 rolls of tape or there abouts.

Stan

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.206.207.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 07:07PM

Putter-- That is a great tip on useing the teflon tape.
Here is a tip to use as so the tape don't get dirty and is at your finger tips the next time you want to use it.
Take the roll of tape and push the inner ring of tape out of the outside ring.Now take an x-acto knife and with caution cut a slit just large enought for the tape to be pushed through the slit and put the outter ring back on. Now you can hold the roll of teflon tape and pull out and the inner ring will turn freely.Break off the tape and just let the tape fall back on the ring for the next time you need it.

<<<DON >>>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster