I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Off subject: Line for Spining Reel
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 01:35PM

After several different ways of searching I've given up and decided to ask the people who use this board what brand of line they feel is their favorite. I use to use a line that came from France that was developed by 2 of the people involved in their space program but it is no longer made and I'm looking for a replacement for 8-12lb line. Distance is the primary focus.

Any body want to put their 2 cents in

thanks

darby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off subject: Line for Spining Reel
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 01:48PM

I've always liked DAM Tectan when abrasion resistance wasn't a big concern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2007 10:37AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 01:51PM

What kind of fishing are you doing, with what reel?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 01:52PM

If you are talking about Mono I use nothing but Stren. They have many different types for many uses.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 02:08PM

McCoys Mean Green is what I use. I have had several tournament partners ask me what I was using for a line because they noticed that my line did not show any memory and was practiacly laying straight on the water, where with their line, you could see the curl in the lin still.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 02:53PM

I use Fireline in 6lb, 8lb and 10lb. Great for distance, no tangles (as you can get with the more supple braids) and great knot strength. I havent used mono for years.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:11PM

100% Hi-Vis yellow Power Pro user here. Wouldn't have anything else. I do color the last 10ft with a black magic marker, more for my peace than the fish's ability to see.

DR

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:25PM

Likek DR, and thanks to DR, I use powerpro as well.

for general freshwater, mostly bass, I use the 12 lb test.

for heavier fishing, catfish and musky, etc, I like the 50 and 80 lb test.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:01PM

I like triple fish "Spinning RX". Small diameter, very low memory, great abrasion resistance and very low stretch. I like 8lb for all of my spinning. I fish for bass only.

-Mike

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:42PM

Powerpro is great stuff, and for mono, I still have yet to find a line better than good old Trilene XL. In fluoro, Seaguar Carbon Pro is outstanding line.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:49PM

Stren MagnaThin for monofilament, Stren Super Braid for superline.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:37PM

I switched my brother's reel over to Siglon F this past fall for Salmon fishing (FF is actually the latest version now) and he could not believe the increase in distance it gave him. I have Siglon F on at least one spool of every reel I have and I just bought more so I would have it (mail order only in my area). Great stuff and it floats!

Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:12PM

Power Pro is the way to go. Stronger than steel, 30 lb. test is the same dia. as 8lb mono.

Good Wraps..
Russell C.
Bastrop,Tx.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:34PM

Power Pro - all applications is really, really hard to beat. The only thing I do (and not all the time) is attach a 6-8' flourocarbon leader if the fish are really "line shy" .

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.sub-75-196-138.myvzw.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 07:00PM

Maybe it's just me, but I get more wind knots throwing Power Pro at the surf with a 15-plus knot wind in my face than when I throw mono. And for mono at the surf, hard to beat Suffix Tritanium Plus. Freshwater bass fishing, I'll use Trilene XL mono.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 07:49PM

Tom -
I had the same problem until I upped the lb test of the Power Pro. I agree the lighter pound test is a nightmare casting! Someone talked me into trying the 10lb test Power Pro for spin casting to breaking fish -- total disaster! Ripped it off the reel as soon as I could and tossed out an almost new 500 yard spool. So I moved up to 40 & 60 lb test Power Pro for the surf - good bite detection/limited stretch -- downside of that is that is if you're fishing bait and the wave action is heavy and the rod doesn't lift the line out of the inshore break the limited stretch will pull the sinker... Kind of a win/lose/draw match up of surf conditions, style of fishing (bait / plugging), and weight of the terminal tackle. Sells rod though -- LOL

Posted by: Marc Morrone (208.157.188.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:04PM

For spinning reels, it's really tough to beat either Stren or Trilene. I have never had a problem with break offs, and the idea that you could use 30# line on a walleye rod because it is 8# dia. doesen't blow my hair back. I have landed more 10# plus fish on 4# mono than I can remember (not all walleyes though!). I think the no-stretch heavy pound super braids account for a lot more busted rods - none of us care for that too much!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:09PM

Tom, you are not alone, at all. There are many other lines preferred for surf fishing rather than Power Pro, as wind knots seem to be a characteristic of PP. If it were the anglers fault, then switching to another line wouldn't fix the problem.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:19PM

Wind cannot create a knot in a fishing line. Knots are caused by loose loops of line in the reels spool, and the wind doesn't make them. However, with the wind blowing a gale in your face, it's harder to keep a taught line on the retrieve and at the end of each cast, so it can contribute. But, if you keep an eye on your spool and keep your line taught on the spool, all knots will go away forever.

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:47PM

Or just switch to a line (and there are a number of them) which does not get wind knots. Why change how you fish to make up for a particular line's shortcoming?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster