I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Odd occurance from sanding
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:23PM

I have a rod on the dryer with it's last coat of CLEAR finish on it. The 1st coat had a small dust bunny in the forgrip area. I took 1500 grit paper (new piece) and sanded it out of the finish. Took maybe 3 swipes and all of 5 seconds. I've done this many times without fail.

Under the finish is nothing but black testors. I did not in any way sand through the finish, yet there is a lighter looking spot exactly where the sanding was done. It's "grey-er looking" than the rest of the area. Almost like I sanded through to the testors, but that didn't happen in ANY way.

I know the "fix" but I'd like to know why and how this happened.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd occurance from sanding
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:41PM

Sanding grit stuck in finish? perhaps it wasnt 100% dry and some of your sandings got stuck in the finish. Maybe Silicone in sand paper contaminated the finish. I like to wait days befire I sand a finish. Some brands stay soft for a while.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:57PM

Those are most likely very small scratches in the finish. When you sand, you have to sand the entire area so that any such lightening is uniform throughout the entire area.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:27PM

I have noticed that the very fine sanding papers if they are a gray grit or gray backed material will cause a grayish effect when sanding. i'm probably not doing something right with them but wish I had something else that would produce the fine surface.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:46PM

1500 grit - I'm assuming it is one of the gray/black automotive sanding papers? They are notorious for leaving particles behind - my guess is you got some of the grit on there and that's what's showing up.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:02PM

Some sand papers have a "nonstick" coating on them it is posable that some of this has contaminated the area as well

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:12PM

I think what Tom is describing is it. I'm seeing a "dull" looking area under the finish in that one spot only. Easy fix, but I just dont want to repete it again ya know? I've never seen any clearcoat do that before. I'm guessing since it was black under that the black is alowing me to see it for the 1st time. One things for sure, I'll do like Tom suggested and scuff it all, or just razor out the nub next time.

Tom, will the razor show as well with high gloss black under it? I'm guessing it might!

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster