I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best TN spin rings?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:29PM

Just wondering if anyone has found a brand or style of TN handle slip rings that holds better, or is more comfortable. I have used the graphite rings from Pac Bay and American Tackle, have not tried any aluminum rings in the last 10 years.

I am trying to "push" the TN handles and educate fisherman on it's benefits - mixed results so far. Some really get it and can't wait to try it, some look at me like I am talking a different language.

Any opinions on the slip rings is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best TN spin rings?
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:40PM

I dont use em, cuz for my fishing I don't see the benefits of them, but I was looking at Seiver's website and they have some metal ones that are TICH coated that look nice to me.....From my lil' bit of experience with them the metal ones are more confortable and hold better...

Good luck,

Danny

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:50AM

Something in the system has to "give." If you use a hard TN handle, such as a graphite tube, then you need rings that have "give" to them such as the nylon types you mention. On a cork grip, which has its own "give" then aluminum or other rigid type rings tend to be better.

The biggest advantage of the nylon rings is that they're not as cold to the touch and tend to fit a wider variety of reel foot sizes, although most reel feet outside of fly rods are fairly standard in size.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 10:32AM

talk to fred Gardener. He just taught me how to do the one he had on the cover and in a recent article. He advocates the tape method if i am not mistaken. Any way his offset method is second to none.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2007 11:07AM

I think Steve actually wraps his reels onto the handle with thread and then finishes with epoxy just like you'd do a guide wrap.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.linncounty.org)
Date: November 19, 2007 11:50AM

I like the TN handles and so do the guys I build them for, with out any rings. Tape works well and this ground has been covered before but try 3M brand electrical tape, tommy tape, or seal-all self sealing tape. Each has some advantages/ disadvantages. If you looked at my rodrack know you would see some of each of these and NO metal or graphite rings. I prefer without personally because I don't like the rigid rings under my hand. Tape will hold a reel on fine for you - I have caught several walleyes over 10 pounds and a flathead catfish that was 45 pounds on tennessee handles with just tape. If I can land fish like those then so can anyone else with just tape. My 2 cents...

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:31PM

Marc,

I've been building some 'combo' spin/fly rods with Tennessee handles. Since they need to 'convert' by changing/moving the reels, some type of rings were required.

I went with the graphite rings, primarily because, as Tom pointed out, they 'feel' better under your hand.

No troubles with them coming loose or 'slipping' in the fly configuration. Since they are under hand during spinning operation, you do need to occassionally snug them back in place (That has happened with ANY sliding ring type for me, the natural pressure of your hand on the ring is in the same place you'd apply pressure to 'loosen' it, so...nothing I can see to be done about it).

If it was just a spinning rod, I'd use tape. Much more secure. Wrapping the reel foot to the grip is a neat idea, as long as you don't need to change/remove the reel often....My rods spend too much time in a tube in transit for that.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: David Ahrens (---.69-130.unk.tds.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:35PM

Marc, this is Dave from Sevier, we carry graphite, titanium finnish and a black finnish, in 3 sizes. If I can help, just let me know

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 03:56PM

Ahh yes as Tom said STEVE Gardener (So So Sorry For The Name Mystake Steve Was In A Hurry) wraps them with thread. I just built one for a customer using Steve Gardeners offset graphite handle and he just LOVES IT!!! When I sold the customer on it I just couldn't convince him to do the reel wrap. I tried and tried but I know next time he will trust me and I guarntee he will be back as he really loved it. I tell you what that is the lightest and most responsive rod I have ever held. I mean that you can feel every vibration with the offset and its just light as a feather!! Hats off to Mr Gardener!! The customer I sold it too will use that packing tape that has like a fiber running thru it? and cover it with tenniss wrap. He is a old timer and has used tenn.handles all his life. If a guy like that says the offset tn handle is the best he has ever felt and used what does that tell you?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 06:14PM

Tom is correct.
In fact it's the only way I do them, IMO nothing else even comes close as far as sensitivity and comfort are concerned

Billy thanks for the comments

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster