I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single strand trim Tricks???
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:08PM

I am starting another rod tomorrow and I am try to match and existing rod. It has three silver trim strands on the outsides of the guide wraps. I have not done a single strand before.......can anyone give me a pointer on that? Do you use super glue and just do a single strand?

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single strand trim Tricks???
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:15PM

I am confused by your question. You said 3 trims then you say they are single. Do you mean 3 singles like the ones in the middle of this under wrap?

[i208.photobucket.com]

If so thats done by wrapping two threads side by side at the same time.

Date: November 18, 2007 11:22PM

Yep.... single strands... the rod I am copying is not as uniform and perfect as teh one in the photo. It has three strands in the middel, and three on each end of the guide wrap.

It has a silver underwrapp, blue guide wrap. The underwrapp is left out as a 1/8" trim band and then there are three single strands of silver about 1/16" apart on the blue guide wrap, and then in the middle of the silver underwrap it has three single strands of blue centered on the guides.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:59PM

This might help you with it.

[cabochonrods.com]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:11AM

David - any chance you could email me the PDF file? My computer didn't like the file.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:39AM

Thanks, Dave a welcome addition to my collection of tutorials

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 07:43AM

Mine Too!

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.49.30.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 09:56AM

Hey David. . . This is one of the best tutorials on this type of wrapping I've seen. It's easy to follow and has great attention to detail. We all owe you one for being so giving in your knowledge. ThhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaannnnnnnK you!

"Life is too short to fish with UGLY rods!"

Date: November 19, 2007 10:29AM

David,
Thank you, I actually saw this post and have used it before for trim bands and such....... didn't seem that you would threadeach strand individually for a single strand, but maybe I am wrong...... I thought there would be an easier way.....

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:07PM

That is a great tutoral and a good technique. John there are other ways to accomplish the same thing and like most things in life there is always a different way of doing things. As too a easier way I don't know just different. Guess it all depends on what your used too. Billy

Date: November 19, 2007 04:20PM

Yep... different not easy..... This has a single strand of thread and then back to the main color for 1/16" and then a single strand of thread, and then back to the main, etc.... I think I may have figured it out in conjuntion with this tutaorial. I will simply wind in a single thread while wrapping and then wrap a few strands of the main color, and them wind in a single strand etc....

It is always fun doing new things!!!

Thanks to all for your help! Off to wrapp........ :-)

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 19, 2007 04:41PM

What a great tutorial that is! Nice - and thanks! Only problem I can see with it vs. the way I do it (nail-knot technique), is with this technique, if you don't use CP on the wrap, you will be able to see the pull throughs after epoxy - but it's a great technique, I'm going to have to try it.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.205.163.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 05:30PM

John- Raymond Adams has a good detailed tutorial on -- Trim Bands & Inlays-- that might be of some great help on what you are trying to acomplish. I don't have his email adress, but baybe someone else may have it ,and could post it for you.

<<<DON>>>

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 07:09PM

I'm at work now so I can't send my tutorial till I get home. However,
it can be viewed and saved at www.visualwrap.com
see the "step by step" section and thank Dave for posting it on his site!

Lots of other good stuff there as well. THANKS Billy 40 & others!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 07:11PM by Raymond_Adams.

Date: November 19, 2007 10:14PM

THANKS RAYMOND!!! That is what I was looking for........ similar to what Dave had, but did not show me the crossover inlay. That is what I was thinking I was going to do, but with a simple single strand of silver....... it is an inlay rather than a trim band...... I will learn the right words eventually..... As I begin collecting Rodmaker and reading more.....

Thanks, again,
John

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 10:56PM

When I think of trim bands I think of what is on the end of a wrap. An inlay has the main
wrap on both sides of it. The color is inlayed into the main wrap thread.

You can inlay a single thread or a band anywhere within the wrap and although some
people like the main thread crossing over the inlay you can make the inlay WITHOUT
the cross-over by moving the main thread over FIRST.

1) move the main thread over in the direction of the wrap.
2) wrap in the single or band by hand without turning the rod
3) bring the main thread back and wrap over the tag of the inlay.

This way the cross-over is UNDER the inlay band or single thread and not seen.

Folllow?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 20, 2007 10:31AM

yep.... I follow.... I was thinking that as well.... I think I will simply to the crossover. I think I can get all three inlays with one piece of thread, by doing one silver in lay and then laying the inlay color ont he blank do three revolutions of the main color, back to the inlay color, then three, etc.... to complete the three single strand inlay stipes.

Thanks again,
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster