I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spider Thread
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2007 06:05PM

Just a heads up; I purchased some of the spider thread after the post the other day.

To see if I could use it to fasten tiny guides to the blank for testing and to hold until wrapped.

So far while from what I understand it will hold bait sacks for fishing, it will NOT hold the guide to the blank unless it is tied off, defeating the purpose of it
Maybe because the blank and guides are rigid it does not seems to hold to itself.

I had hopes that it was going to be a little magic trick to make life easier, but at the moment it just seems to be and exercise in futility.

If you’ve already ordered some to try, keep an eye on your tiny guide, as it will shoot off when this stuff unwraps like a rubber band. 2mm guides are hard to find in the carpet.

So before you go out and purchase some for rod building you might want to reconsider
Still plan to try it on some jigs to see if it will hold.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spider Thread
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2007 06:33PM

Anything you use for wrapping guides to the blank needs to have some stretch to it. From what I've seen, most of the braided or "plastic" type lines don't have any stretch, thus, they really aren't going to be suitable for guide wrapping.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 06:56PM

yeah.... i don't know if it'll work for this purpose.... it does hold spawn sacks fine though. it kinda doubles into itself in that application, but on rods i don't see it working, unless you use a ton of it, which defeats its purpose.

Date: October 16, 2007 07:00PM

Tom;
The spider thread I'm referring to is what Dave Orr was talking about in this thread.

Re: Single Foot Guide Securement!!!!
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: October 10, 2007 02:02PM

“A new twist........
I find it particularly difficult with tiny single foot guides....Try this product. (Spider Thread)

[www.1stopfishingsupplyshop.com]

This is a stretchy monofilament like product used for securing the tops of ROE bags for trout and salmon fishing.
When wrapped over it's self it automatically grips with no need to tie off. If you wrap several turns near the base of the guide (ring end) and pull tight to break the thread it will lock it's self in place and still give you the ability to shift the guide around. Start wrapping the guide and when it's held by the wrapping thread cut off the Spider Thread.
I hope this makes sense......."

Regards
Dave

It may work with larger guides, but I could not get it to work with tiny 2mm guides. Maybe I need smaller fingers, or some tips from Dave But I was really frustrated trying to get it to work. After chasing my guides down a number of different times I gave up

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:01PM

Steve, thanks for the heads up. Dropping size 2 guides = get a magnet off the refrigerator and pass it all over teh place until you here it "click", whic his the guide sticking to the magnet. DOn't ask how I know, lol.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 08:34PM

Steve,

If you haven't tried it yet, you gotta try Flex Coat guide foot adhesive for smaller guides (and bigger ones for that matter). Once you get the hang of the stuff, which is really easy to do, it works awesome! I can't believe that everyone doesen't use it. It's so fast and easy you just have to try it. You can just wrap your guide, and don't have to worry about trimming off rubber bands or anything. Check it out!

Marc

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:00PM

You are correct about using Flex Coat guide foot adhesive. The problem I found it makes it hard to adjust the guides for spacing or alignment. I use surgical tubing to hold my guides. By using the tubbing you can adjust the spacing if needed. When it comes to wrapping just wrap up to the tub and cut it off.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:13PM

You guys who are recommending FC guide adhesive have NO CLUE how hard it is to apply to the guides Steve is using. While it does work, it's very difficult to apply and overheating the guide is VERY VERY easy to do with teh smaller ones

HEre is a photo showing the size of the guide, adn the size of the guide compared to the guides most are familiar with.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: October 16, 2007 09:25PM

Billy you are so correct. That product has to be at lest 20 years old
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: October 16, 2007 09:38PM

Steve,
I have been using monofilament for securing the minni guides. Two or three winds around the blank using resonable tension and
tie your knot. With a properly dressed guide you can force the guide into the wrap with the help of a pick. You should be able to get
a couple adjustments without retying. I use 8-10# test.

Date: October 16, 2007 10:01PM

Richard how easy is it to change guide spacing?\Say if you have to make a one inch adjustment.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: October 16, 2007 10:03PM

I have never seen a 2 MM guide let alone tried to tie one on. The smallest guides I have used are #6's and the spider thread works well here, at least for me. I hold the guide temporarily with masking tape near the guide foot end and wrap the spider thread not too tightly about 6 or 8 turns, continue for several more turns while pulling the thread tighter (almost to the breaking point) then pull hard to break the spider thread.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: October 16, 2007 10:10PM

I do the same thing with surgical tubbing. and I do not have to make 4 or 5 wraps and tie it off. If I have to make a spacing adjustment all I have to do is slide the guide in the direction I need. I do not have to rewrap and tie off
Good Wraps Bob Bands just work for me. As well as thread works for you

Date: October 17, 2007 12:48AM

Guys;
Thanks for the tips. I don't have a problem working with 2mm guides; I have been using/experimenting with them for about 18 months now.

I bought the spider thread to see if it would make it even easier to do, but it does not.

When working with the tiny guides it is necessary to be able to adjust them to maximize performance, which as Bob said using adhesive would make harder to do.

Billy is also right about the heat and size issue. For reference if you look at the link to the 4mm guide he has pictured with the ruler the 2mm's are about 1/2 that size.

these pic's will also give you a size reference
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 12:49AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 12:52AM

does the guide adhesive hold good enough to be able to cast the rod so you can set your guides for the best casting? i use the tubing right now and when i go out and test cast they get out of wack easily.

Date: October 17, 2007 01:24AM

it should hold real good but every time you want to adjust a guid you will have to remove and reheat the adhesive to make it stick again.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 03:03AM

By far the best thing I have found to hold small guides in place is the dental
bands designed for braces. the ones I got are about 1/64th in wide with a
pin sized hole in the middle. They stretch good and hold strong! Guides do
not come off durring test casting on the slimest blank and yet are easily
moved/adjusted. One touch with a blade and there off.

The only 2 drawbacks are 1) not cheap as tubing and 2) need to get from
dentist or dental suppy dist.

Steve,
Email me your mailing address and I'll send you some to try.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: October 17, 2007 03:52AM

If my guide is loose I just double the band to make it tighter. As for guide glue if you have to adjust the guide you have to re heat it. Also if some glue gets past the guide foot, you have to clean the blank or it well interfer with the wrap
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2007 07:11AM

How does this 'spider thread' compare with Pearsalls gossamer(6/0) & naples(4/0) silk thread?

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Date: October 17, 2007 08:04AM

The spider thread is a spandex type material. I don't think id would be suitable for permanent wraps. Just to see I took a two inch length and stretched it to just less than twelve inches on a ruler.
But stretched out it is almost invisible and apart from a slight sheen it all but disappears on a blank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 08:06AM by Steve Gardner.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster