I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: RX8+ vs SCV
Posted by: Marc Locke (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 08:47PM

I really like ST Croix as well and am using their 7'6" 4pc 2wt blanks in the SCIV and new SC3. My question was asked because every blank series seems to have its shining stars and its ugly duckling ( ie.. great 4wt but 6 wt is a club etc.).............. and I don't want to commit to a blank only to find out it was the dog of the series.

I also really, really like Batson as a company and like to use their stuff where possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:34PM

RX8 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. I think the rod is more responsive, crisper and the customer support/service for the RX8 leaves St. Croix in the dust.

Just my blunt .02
Paul

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 11:53PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought it was "common knowledge" that the RX8's
> were made OEM by St. Croix for Batson? I've heard
> that for quite a few people for quite some time? I
> don't see what the big deal is, obviously if all
> Batson blanks are being made overseas, except for
> this one series, it doesnt' take a brain surgeon
> to figure out they are being made by one of the
> few US blank Manu's, and when you look at the
> specs.....what's the big "Secret"?
>
> Batson = RX8+864-4 = Tip 4.5 Butt:0.325 4 weight
> 1.45 oz
> St. Croix = 5F864.4 = Tip 4 Butt: .325 weight 1.4
> Lami = doesnt' do 8'6 4pc fly rods, and all their
> fly rods in 9' are over .4Od at teh butt
> SAge = 486-4 SLT = Tip: 3.5 Butt: .325 wt = 1
> 3/16oz...or 1.19oz
> 486-4 VT2 = Tip: 3.5 Butt: .355 wt = 1 3/8 or
> 1.38
> 486-4 Z-AXIS = Tip: 3.5 Butt: .330 wt = 1 3/16
> 1.19oz
>
>
> NERBS - North East Rod Builders

I dont know for certain, but I was told months back this to be true...I never assumed it. Anyhow, who has the better warranty policy...I got Batson blanks and Croix, however I would think this would be a consideration.....

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 12, 2007 08:07AM

Steve K e-mail me at broderick6@comcast.net

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 08:12AM

Just being the Devil's Advocate, but it seems kind of silly to worry about the origin of a blank when, as far as I know, NONE of the components that you add to it will be made in the U.S. (probably, neither will the hooks, line, sinkers, etc)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 12, 2007 08:29AM

Mike - where are Rec Recoils's made? What about Bellinger or Struble seats (I have no clue abotu fly reel seats)? Venerri's inerts?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 09:34AM

Billy,

Have no idea on fly stuff (or according to my wife, on much of anything else.) that's why I said "as far as I know"
Did you get any fishing in with Al or are you waiting for the walleye run up here next spring?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.sub-75-198-50.myvzw.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 10:07AM

Billy B., I e-mailed you. Check your spam filter if you don't see my message.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.172.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 12:38PM

Another devil's advocate. Many of the differences between rod "weight" and line "weight" being discussed here are trivialized by variations in the dynamics between supposedly uniform rod blanks and variations in the flexibility, diameter and weight of supposedly uniform fly lines, to say nothing of variations in individual casting strokes, personal preferences, and angling needs. In short, the tolerances of fly fishermen commonly excede the tolerances of the equipment they discuss, as those who have themselves weighed "identical" lines and deflection tested "identical" rods will likely admit. On the bright side, such discussions stimulate interest in fly fishing and rod building. Still, one test cast mating a particular rod and a particular line is worth a thousand words.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster