I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing reelseat to blank - spacer or tape?
Posted by: Nick Carme (---.spfdma.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:56AM

Hi All,

I am building a 9' #9 for Saltwater. I am using a rainshadow blank and I have a reelseat with a fighting butt. I used 1/2 inch tape around the blank to see how much tape buildup that I would need to have the reelseat slip on, and it seemed like the glue would only adhere to the tape since the blank is quite a bit smaller in diameter. Thanks for your time and looking forward to your responses.

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing reelseat to blank - spacer or tape?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 06:05AM

I!m partial to the Flex-coat arbors.Tape scares me.The big gap on that rod if filled with epoxy will add weight.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 06:19AM

use foam arbors! lighter and will have better feel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 06:20AM by Barry D. Thomas Sr..

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 07:46AM

Like all things in rod building, it is a matter of craftsmanship as much as materials. I have never had a tape bushing fail. On the Flex Coat rod building video Roger Seiders shows how to do tape bushings, and said he has never had one fail. Graphite/foam arbors must have good fit and be well epoxied to work, if so they work great. Like so many things in rod building, how you do it is as important as what you use.

Marc

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:00AM

I agree with marc. I've never had a tape arbor fail but I have switched from tape to foam arbors. I think using the arbors correctly has the added advantage of lighter weight and on a 9 wt rod that I'm going to be casting a lot every bit of constructionally sound weight savings is important to my old arm.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.46.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:18AM

I have used tape and not had one fail. But if the gap is larger then 1/4" then glue in a arbor to the seat. Let dry. Then it is easy to ream it out to fit the blank. They ream fast so just a little at a time and check often.

Posted by: Mark Smith (199.253.178.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:21AM

I've found that making an arbor from that mesh fiberglass drywall tape works very well.
It has a very open weave that epoxy can penetrate quite easily, making a very solid adhesion.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:07AM

A cork or foam arbor is my first choice. A drywall mesh tape arbor is the only other good choice, IMO.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:14AM

If properly done, all methods will work........but, IMO, the graphite or foam arbors would be the best option structurally and weightwise. In addition, I feel that they are much faster and easier than any of the other options. The others may work but if you're going through the work of making a quality rod, why not spend a buck or two extra and go beyond what is commercially available?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 06, 2007 10:17AM

Thanks for all the replies, the mesh drywall tape sounds like a great idea. I have that on hand.

Regards,
Nick

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 11:39AM

Nick; I have used all the above. As Mike said all will work fine. I prefer the Flex Coat arbors as many others seem to. When using drywall mesh tape,or anything else for that matter, make sure you scuff a water break free surface with a Grey Scotchbrite pad in the area to be epoxied. Also , I like to take a popsicle stick and press the Rod Bond down into the mesh and the spaces between the mesh rings to help insure good adhesion with the blank.

Date: September 06, 2007 12:32PM

Jay,

Thanks for the indepth tips.

Nick

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 01:29PM

Fred Yarmolowicz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I!m partial to the Flex-coat arbors.Tape scares
> me.The big gap on that rod if filled with epoxy
> will add weight.
>
> Freddwhy(Rapt-Ryte)

i agree! flexcoat arbors are easy and fast...just glue the arbor in the seat then ream out to whatever size you need and glue it to the blank...doesnt get any easier

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 02:40PM

I've used masking tape, drywall tape, graphite and flexcoat arbors with no problem with any.

i prefer the arbors over tapes b/c of ease of use - in the time it takes to make the tape arbors I can ream and glue a FC arbor and with the lamar 5 or 15 minute epoxy its a no brainer for me

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 06:44PM

I've had too many rods brought to me to repair the reel seat and even the butt grip because the masking tape failed either by drying out and losing adhesion, or turning into a greasy, sticky mess. Drywall tape, graphite, cork, or Flex-Coat arbors all work very well.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:48PM

I use the Dry wall tape and foam arbors with no problems

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 01:01AM

Nick,

One thing I haven't seen in this post, that I do, when using the drywall mesh. Wrap it to the size you need to fit the seat around the blank. Then unroll and start applying your adhesive, be it Rod Bond, Kardol, or Andy's, while your rolling it back on. This will ensure that you get adequate adhesion all the way through to the blank.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 01:48AM

Small diameter blank: Reel seat arbor is a quick ream to fit with little chance of reaming off-center.

Large diameter blank slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the reel seat: Drywall tape. I don't care for the spongy feel of drywall tape built up to form thick arbors.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: September 07, 2007 08:44AM

flex-coat arbors are the best way to go structurally and weight wise. Why would anyone use anything else. You are trying to build a rod that is superior in every way to a factory rod.

Date: September 09, 2007 07:04PM

Great incite, I hope I get this much feedback if I post something else. BTW if anyone has a 16mm flex-coat arbor and wants to sell one to me, send me a PM or email.

Regards,
Nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster