I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Generic rod blanks
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 01:00AM

Ok, I have been checking out @#$%& and see some pretty great prices on e-glass blanks..... shiny black.....

#8 tip, and .83 butt, 15-40lb specifically is what I am looking at.

Up to this point I have been a name brand snob..... Seeker and Calstar basically, as they have a reputation to protect, and a waranty to back them up. The @#$%& rods caught my eye as an affordable way to make some "boat rods" that I don't have to worry about guests hurting??? The starting bid is $59.00 buck for 4 blanks and shipping is $22.00 this will make them about $20.00 each. Add good guides, grips, seat, and butt cap and I should be able to make these rods for under $100.00 each.

Is buying such a blank playing roulette? Are they junk and I will get what I pay for? These blanks have about the same size and weight rating as the seeker 870.

Has anyone bought any of these?

Thanks for the feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Generic rod blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 07:05AM

If you are looking for good glass rods that are value priced ... Forecast (Batson).

IMO, @#$%& blanks are most definitely "roulette" and have the same approximate odds ... it won't take long for you to lose your money. I have heard horror stories about blanks purchased from there - of course, there is the occasional success story too.

I would suggest going with a licensed vendor with guaranteed results - Forecast blanks are carried by Angler's Workshop, Custom Tackle and a few others to the left.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:10AM

John,

I've been down that road have learned if somethings on @#$%&, it's there for a reason. Your time, effort, and skill are worth more than the few bucks you might save.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:00AM

John -- As Jim mentioned, we are a distributor for the Batson/Forecast blanks. There are a couple of their E-glass blanks that I can offer you, that are really, only a few more dollars per blank. Those will come with a warranty and on top of that, you know what you are getting. Also if customers like them, you can obtain that same model again and again. I can also help you all the other parts and work out a package price for you. If you are interested, just give me a call at 931-684-6164 and I'll be glad to discuss this with you and get you taken care of. Thank You for your time.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:02AM

I appreciate everyone's feedback, however, some of the vendors to the left actually put things on @#$%&, and I have had great success buying many things on @#$%&. I actually bought a Seeker Blank, fuji guides, Pac Bay guides, and other things there.

While I will use all your collective caution and not purchase @#$%& generic blanks, I have to repsectfully disagree with the comment that if it is on @#$%& it is there for a reason..... Many businesses have found a way to capture internet buyers through this source and sell quality new products..... others do exploit the internet, so a buyer must beware....

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:34AM

Not knocking @#$%& but when it comes to things that can't be identified (blanks, etc) I would avoid like the plaque!! There are huge numbers of blanks sold as first quality that are actually rejects, blems, etc that the manufacturer's have designated for either destruction or NOT to be sold as first or have their name used with them, That is one reason many now destroy the culls!

Their are alternatives Batson has some good quality boat rod blanks and Mudhole usually has good inexpensive blanks on sale.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 12:36PM

Very good vendors do sell on @#$%&, but if the product they have on bid is so great then why can they not sell it through regular channels. It seems that most use @#$%& as a clearinghouse for clearances and closeout of merchandise that won't sell through other methods. Some offer a great product every now and then as a form of advertising, which is great but that is rare. I'm not knocking @#$%& as it's a great service and I use it all the time, but you need to be aware you get what you pay for and the old adage, "if it seems to good to be true, it usually is," is the standard.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 01:24PM

check out Gator Glass blanks! mudhole sells them and they are CHEAP but VERY very strong E-glass blanks...and $10-50 is about what they run for not on sale (example: 8' 15-40lb $20.89)

i have a couple rods built on gator glass blanks and they take a beating

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (199.76.168.---)
Date: September 07, 2007 04:55PM

Check out Janns netcraft, I've built some cheap boat rods on their glass blanks, I think they are around 10-13 bucks for the blanks...can't baet it and if the guests aren't discerning as a chap you'd find on here then they'd never be the wiser.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster