I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper bench - that moves, rather than moving down the bench.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 10:27PM

To avoid moving my station down the rod wrapping bench, I move the rod past my fixed wrapping station.
I have a 10 fot long power wrapper that I built.
My wrapping bench is actually 4 feet wide.
Then, I have another 4 foot long bench on each side, that has a 4 inch gap between the tables.
In the gaps, I have placed a lumber roller support from Home depot. This is a foldable roller support with an adjustable height that typically sells for about $20.
I use a total of three supports. One on the left, one on the right side of my bench on the left side of the right bench, and another on the right side of the right bench. My wrapping typically moves the bench further to the right, rather than to the left, since I wrap with my left hand; rather than the right hand. A right handed wrapper would have the opposite setup.

In use, I have all of my threads, lights, tools etc. set up in about a 2-3 foot wide space at the center wrapping bench. Then, as I move down the rod, from butt wraps to first and ensuing guides, I simply slide the wrapping lathe down the table. The thread, tools, lights and tape stay fixed in the center position. Slick and easy.

I simply got tired moving up and down rods as I wrapped the rods.
Of course, if you have a limited amount of space, you wouldn't have the ablitity to move the rod. Many wrappers are limited so that their bench "just" fits in the space in the shop.

This saves time, save the floor, saves the chair rollers, and most importantly keeps everything well organized and makes rod production faster.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper bench - that moves, rather than moving down the bench.
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 10:52PM

I've been doing the same thing just without the rollers. I just slide my lathe in the direction I want it to go, toward the tip I have to move a bit but for the most part I stay stationary and move the lathe.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:46PM

Hey guys, How about posting some pix!!! Sounds like great setups!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:08AM

i was thinking the same thing mike! come on guys out with the pictures :)

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:33AM

I think you would want to see pics of Roger's not mine. I bought my Renzetti used and it didn't come with the anchors. I just slide the lathe down a table, not much to take a picture of. I would like to see Roger's though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster