I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

one more time: epoxy help
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:37PM

Well, yesterday I put the first coat of LS Supreme on the RX8+ I had just wrapped. I went out for a few hours, returned and stuck my finger into the mixing cup to see how hard it was. Still wet! Noooooo! It had a layer of the orange tinted hardener on top of the gelled solution in the cup. I must have goofed up even though I used the syringes, went to the wrong graduations, or just didn't mix well enough. It got pretty hot in the garage today and I left it turning all day so that helped it get to a tacky state, at least.

Does this stuff get old? It's not crystalized. I didn't expect this with u40.

Will the second coat set off the tacky first coat, or will I just have hard epoxy over soft epoxy? Should I try to wipe it off with alcohol first?

I would appreciate your suggestions,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: one more time: epoxy help
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:05AM

If it's gooey wipe it off and start over. If it's hard but just tacky a second GOOD coat
will fix it just fine.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:10AM

is the hardener being orange normal? the LS supreme i had the hardener was orange but the threadmaster ive got now the hardener is clear

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:22AM

The hardner will yellow over time with most all 2 part epoxy finishes.
Some will yellow more than others. I didnt have my set of TM long
enough(LOL) to see just how much it yellows but others have posted pix
that show little IF ANY yellowing.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 12:26AM by Raymond_Adams.

Date: September 05, 2007 01:25AM

Thanks, Raymond.

I was afraid to try wiping it off, but after your suggestion I went at it with a soft rag and denatured alcohol and it came off just fine. All the threads are clean on the surface. I will let it dry out tomorrow and coat it again. I have some new LS Supreme so I think I'll throw out the old stuff even though I am pretty sure it was operator error.

The first rod I did, the Flexcoat didn't set up well and I went over it with another coat (it was high build) and I wasn't happy, it was lumpy. Haven't had any problems with LS supreme, even mixing 2 cc parts each, in the past several rods. Guess I got over confident!

Greg

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 06:53AM

You MAY have added to the problem by using the denatured alcohol for the clean up. The solvent COULD affect what is going on down in the thread and the tunnel. I would put it in the sun and add a few hours to insure that you have given time for the solvent to escape, if it EVER will. If solvent is in the underlying coat it MAY mess with the cure of the top coat. If I did not really give a hoot I MIGHT consider applying a coat of color preserver over the thread before applying a top coat of finish to build a barrier. That Rx8 is one fine blank and if you have the time you MAY also consider rewrapping. If it is a mistake on your part you should be punished so you will remember the lesson - rewrapping would sure be appropriate punishment for just about any mistake made! Please note the WEASEL WORDS words in all caps. We can all fire bullets but the final decision on just how you want to turn out a rod is yours alone.

Gon Fishn

Date: September 05, 2007 09:52AM

I don't think using the alcohol ADDED to the problem. Adding more epoxy may have. I will let it dry out before finishing. Rewrapping will certainly take care of it if it need be.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 10:37AM

Greg, about five years ago I did ssomething very similar. I work out of 4 oz plastic bottles with Yorker caps. I fill the 4 oz bottles from 32 oz main storage bottles. I filled both of the "use" bottles with new hardner that had no color. I will guarantee you one thing - two portions of hardner mixed properly will not set up! When the stuff did not get hard in the application pan I finally figured out what happened. I had done two rods with the bad mix and I wiped them off with a rag and alcohol and applied a good finish mix over the top. The only thing that was securing the guides to the blank was the overlap on the end of the wrap. The guy brought the rods back to me and told me the guides were rotating on his brand new rod! My punishment was a mad customer, poor references and increased medication costs.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 01:16PM

lol bill filled both with hardener! thats something i would do haha

could you burnish it to move around the threads to make sure if there is any alc. under it will get out?

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 02:24PM

I think one day in a warm corner of the garage where the workbench is will evaporate the alcohol. I believe the hardener separated out from the mix by either using 3cc of hardener to 2cc of epoxy or just not stirring enough, so there was a film of hardener on top. After letting it dry I will check the threads and how well the guides are adhered before finishing the wraps again. At some point it is better to cut my losses and redo the wraps.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster