I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Measuring Guides?
Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.att.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 04:28PM

I have some Fuji SVOG Guides I picked up to use for the New Guide Concept.
I read the article and for the Spinning rod I am building basically a M/H rod it indicated the "Choker guide" might be an 8 - 10.
I got out what was call and labeled a 10. Looked a little small. I decided to measure it with my Calipers. It measures I.D 7 and O.D 10 of inner ring. Is this the correct way to measure the guide size? Is it typically the # of the guide size relates to the O.D. of the inner ring? I guess the bottom line question here is...
How do you properly measure the guide size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring Guides?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2007 05:09PM

You got it. It's the O.D. of the insert.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 05:26PM

I always thought that it was the ID of the guide frame which you really have to estimate cause it's hidden

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.att.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 08:29PM

Thanks Guy's.....
Now that I have that straight. Here is the next issue.
I have a Loomis 1266 I'm setting up as a spinning rod.
My intention is to use the New Guide Concept system.
I mounted the reel seat and selected the reel I want on the rod and measured the spool lip (47mm)
I then take the 47mm x 27 = 1269. Is that 1269mm? If so that is like 49.9 inches. So I used 50 inches to make it easy.
I then placed a #10 guide here as I will be using 15-17# line.
I then backed up to the straight edge and placed 3 guides between the Reel and Choker guide.
The first was the butt guide @ 25" it was a size 30, next was a size 25, and then a 20.
This brought me to the choker guide.
I then looked down the rod for correct placement to find that the #10 guide was way to small as a choker.
I had to go to a size 16 to get the look described in the latest issue of Rodmaker.
If I follow this correctly then the remaining guides should be the same size as the choker? I wouldn't think I'd run 6 more #16 guides would I?
Did I do something wrong in my layout or is the choker truly trial and error? If it is trial and error would you run the remaining 6 guides as #16's?
I'm thinking I messed up the layout somewhere...Suggestions?

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2007 09:51PM

Tom, If you are using 17 # test line you might want to use #30 guide for the butt and # 20 for the 2nd and #12 then # 10s for the running guides. See how that works. I hesitate to give you advice because I'm a little new with this NGC System myself. But I've done alot of reading and people have helped me down this road on my rods that I've done. Hope tis helps. Don't forget the stress test.

Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 27, 2007 10:14AM

Tommy,
I think it's a whole bunch easier to do it like the article in the library above, where you use a straight line through the reel's shaft under the spool to find the choke point and guide sizes. Math makes my head hurt, I like my results to be more visual, where the guide size/height/position is as simple and fast as I can make it.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2007 07:19PM

I think that the 10 or 12 choker guide will be fine. Your straight edge may be off a bit. I take a string and tie it onto the reel's shaft and tie the other end to the outside rim of the choker guide to get my straightline. Then do your guide placement according to where the string resides along side the blank following the articles instructions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster