I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Something I found useful saltwater hook keeps
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.enbridge-us.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 02:22PM

For those building saltwater rods, one thing I found useful in reference to hookkeeps is using a rec saltwater snakeguide...I use size 2....I didnt invent this, saw it on a rod in Texas and liked the idea....I personally dont perfer there guides, on a baitcaster. However if you are putting titanium guides on a rod for saltwater, make sence to make the hook keep as corrosion resistent as possible. Yes, I know there titanium alloy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Something I found useful saltwater hook keeps
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:40PM

Good thought.
I have some 16g titanium V6 alloy and 304 stainless wire I was using to bend them up from,,,,, but prefab is certainly easier sometimes.
If you want to play with it a bit, you can get anodized titanium wire in colors as well. Not as bright or varied in colors as anodized aluminum, but it adds some choices.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.enbridge-us.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:46PM

Yeah, colors would be great...Would be interested in hearing the bending process, also where can you by the anodized titanium in color? Any place on line?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 07:06PM

You can anodize Titanium yourself. I believe if you search .org fr teh user name ED SINN, it should pop up. MAybe anodizing Titanium too. TEHre's instructions on Google on how to rig it up yourself.

I bel;iev eanodized titanium is sold to teh knife makers, do a Google, it should pop righ tup.

Date: August 17, 2007 01:02AM

Jeffrey,,,,, I have tripped over several places, but I like the lines that [theringlord.com] carry. One of the few places that has square stainless wire too.

Something as simple as a hook keeper is nothing to bend up with just a pair of needle nose pliers. You want to play with more compilcated things, then there are wire forming tools. So far I have either just formed with pliers, around objects like bolt heads, or using nails in a piece of wood as a jig. There are some craft wire forming jigs that basically look like a grid of holes in an aluminum plate, and insertable metal dowel pins that go in those holes. Nice idea, and they are fine for soft and light wire I guess, but have found they work poorly for anything over about 20 gauge in steel and titanium.

Date: August 17, 2007 01:21AM

Yeah Billy,,, I saw roll your own anodizing instructions too. Contemplated it for a bit last Winter, but it appears you need to have pretty decent control to get a particular color. Even the guys who do it for a living have some trouble with that. Anodizing aluminum is far simpler in comparison, as there you just add a dye for the color you want. Figured for as little of the stuff as I would play with, it wasn't worth the hassle to do it myself.

I have sorta wondered about doing my own TiN plating though. Saw a nice little vacuum chamber/oven at a place that handles second hand cleanroom equipment. Just would need to add a laser (and crucible I think), and TiN coating at home should be possible. I'd have a bit more use for that than anodizing. In no time flat I'd be plating all the reel parts I could, and probably a lot of stuff in the tackle bag too. Just another thing in the LONG list of possible to-do's. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster