I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Epoxy Mixer
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.mmm.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 12:17PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got one of the Pac Bay epoxy mixers in the mail yesterday. The cup is a 2 oz. size and so I'm confused. The cups that I currently use for mixing and measuring are the 1 oz. size. So, how the heck do I measure my two parts in a 1 oz. cup then transfer it to a 2 oz. cup without leaving behind much of the epoxy parts behind in the first cup ? Or do I just place the 1 oz. cup in the 2 oz. holder ? Or are there graduated 2 oz. cups ?

How do you guys handle this ? Thanks, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Epoxy Mixer
Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 12:26PM

Hey Jeff,

Just a thought, how about using syringes to measure your finish? They are reusable and are extremely accurate.

Date: August 16, 2007 12:50PM

I thought about that, but I've got about 500 1oz. cups and no syringes and no 2 oz. cups....

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 01:27PM

I've seen other mixers but not sure how the pac bay is set up. Seems to me that you could just substitute the 1 oz cup on the mixer instead of the 2 oz. The cup that is on the mixer serves as the holder. You place another cup on top of it that has the epoxy in it. I suppose that you could just glue in a 1 oz cup into the 2 oz cup. Then the 1 oz cup will fit within the 1 oz cup that is glued on. Does this make any sense? lol

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 02:53PM

Mel;
that sounds like a good idea. I though about using clay to fill the gap until I read your post.

Date: August 16, 2007 03:12PM

Does anyone sell a 2 oz. graduated cup ??

Date: August 16, 2007 03:41PM

Jeff,

Acid Rods sold the 2 oz cups at one time but I don't believe that they do any longer. If you Google '2 oz Plastic Souffle Cup' you will get a ton of hits. I have purchased the clear cups from www.webrestaurant.com . 125 cups @ $2.49. Shipping costs more than the cups, so you may want to order +125.

Note: Unfortunately, the cups are not graduated..................

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:51PM

maybe you could try to find a shot glass thats 2 ounces(some shot glasses have the ml markings and such on them) and use that then you can wash it out with alcohol or whatever and use it over and over without having to buy cups

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 04:04PM

syringes are cheap, or use double face tape to set the smaller cup or wrap a 1 oz cup with masking tape to fit, then just put another 1 oz cup inside and mix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 04:06PM by Barry D. Thomas Sr..

Date: August 16, 2007 04:29PM

It's just frustrating... am I the first person to buy this mixer and run across this ??

Date: August 16, 2007 04:53PM

Jeff,

I bought my Pac Bay Mixer from Acid Rods and they sold the non-graduated cups at the time but once again, the cups were not graduated. I had always used syringes so I wasn't surprised. I don't use this mixer that often because it rotates much faster than one that I had built myself myself out of an 18 RPM Flex Coat mixer.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 05:53PM

Jeff,

We still have cups, but it looks like I lost the page that contained them! I'll get them back up on our "Finish Tools" & "Finish" pages tonight. They're $1.79 per 50.

I've never seen a graduated cup that will fit the PB Mixer barrel. I draw the finish with syringes, shoot it into the 2oz cup, then wipe the side of the cup with a spatula after it's rotated for a minute or so. I don't think a cup with inside graduations would do well with the mixer as the sides aren't smooth, so you're liable to get a less than complete mix..

By the way, the mixer won't mix most epoxy "glues", so all is not lost with your 1oz. cups.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 06:20PM

Jeff..I also have a PacBay mixer I purchased and also did not know about the 2 oz. cups. I borrowed a hunk of that foam type stuff the wife uses to hold artificial flowers upright [hobby stores also sells this product] that she arranges into pots , cut it to fit into the 2 oz. cup and cut the 1 0z. cup hole into that, and it has worked great for me until I ordered the cups from Mudhole. I also use the syringes so I also don't have to worry about graduated cups. [I will use up all my 1 oz. cups this way.]

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 07:50PM

I too did not know and it is still sitting in its box.

Most of my mixes have been 2-3ml(total) and that to me would seem to be a puddle in a 2 oz cup..

One day I will use it..

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:31AM

Actually, the mixer was designed for a 2 1/2 oz. cup. When I got my mixer it came with 125 cups which are made by Dart Container out of Mason, Mich and are actually souffle cups. [www.dart.biz] Mudhole has them in stock.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: August 18, 2007 12:42AM

Any restaurant should have 2 oz cups.....they use them for everything, tartar sauce,
shrimp sauce, cole slaw and on and on. the restaurant my works at gave me 200 of
them free! I also use syringes so no problem with measurements.

I love mine...sure eliminated the bubbles!!!!!!

John

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 08:50PM

Party Supply stores generally have condiment cups in various sizes.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster