I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly threadders as pull loops
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:45PM

I am thinking about trying to use some of those fly threaders out of a threader type fly box to use a pull throughs for finishing off wraps. I am currently using a doubled over piece of mono and it is fumbly and I am always dropping it on the floor and loosing it.

I am thinking the threaders may work better and if I drop it I can at least see the plastic tab on the end. My only concern is that the wire may cut the thread as it is being pulled under the end of the wraps.

Has anyone tried this and if so did it work OK?

THanks,

Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly threadders as pull loops
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:56PM

Ray

I have tried them and you have to be careful or like you said the wire will cut the thread so I gave up on them and went back to mono. I solved the problem of loosing them on the floor by dipping the end in that red or yellow rubber stuff that you can get at the hardware store that is used to dip screw driver & plier handles in, it dries fast and is bright enough to see when you drop them on the floor.

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 04:01PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 03:58PM

Another option is to use a piece of braided fishing line with a bright red bead tied on the end. Gives you something to hang on to when pulling through and easy to find as well.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 03:59PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 04:00PM

I use 10# Powerpro carried a small thread spool to my favorite tackle shop, had them put on 30 yds they didn't charge me!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 04:01PM

Mike, instead of using a bead, which is heavy and tends to flop all over teh place, tie a piece of bright yarn.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 04:03PM

Good idea, Billy. Thanks!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 16, 2007 04:10PM

Hey Thanks guys

I will try coloring the end with something. I have some small electrical heat shrink tubing in bright yellow. I may try tying a knot in the end of the loop and shrining a 1/2" piece of that tubing around it. And I'm going to make about 50 of them and keep them on a cup on the bench.

I have to try something because sure as the world everytime I get to that spot I need the loop its on the floor and invisible.

Thanks,

Ray

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 05:01PM

I cut a piece of the same thread I am using and use it for the pull thru..

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 06:19PM

I use 30# Spider Wire. Tied each end to one end of a brass barrel swivel. Have to change the Spider Wire about every 10 rods.
If I were to thread a plastic bead on to a length of my Spider Wire and tie the ends together I wouldn't be wearing it out at the same spot all the time.....hmmm ....good thing I thought of that.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2007 10:19PM

I use something that was referred to on here several times and has proved invaluable for me. It's the plastic loops that you use to thread dental floss through your teeth. I get them at WalMart. I screwed a small cup hook onto the upright of my thread carriage and keep several hanging there. They last a long time.

Bill in WV

Date: August 16, 2007 10:26PM

Thanks BIll that sounds easiest yet.

Ray

Date: August 16, 2007 11:24PM

I agree with Ray,,Thanks Bill, got to try that one !

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: August 16, 2007 11:44PM

Thanks to Bill for the yarn idea. Tried the bead, tried coloring, etc. I have been using 6# high vis yellow Fireline & it works well.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 12:12AM

Ray, I originally got the idea from L.A. Garcia's book; but with a little twist... I use a Number 10 guitar string. Cut a few inches off, form a loop and stick the ends through the forward threaded barrel (about an inch long) of an old mechanical pencil. A dollop of Rod Bond holds the ends in place. An inch cut off the plastic barrel of a ball point pen would work too.

A #10 guitar string is of a quality that it doesn't fray the wrapping thread. I haven't had a problem in that regard yet. It's flexible, but a little stiff so it's easier for me to thread the wrapping thread to pull. It's also cheap-- cost a dollar.

RON.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2007 06:22PM by RON NIX.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.161.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 12:15AM

I can't count how many tie off loops I've made in advance, and used beads and tape and everything else on the ends. It doesn't matter, I'm loop challenged. I tie off a wrap and the loop vanishes. My bench is usually terribly messy, but if I have six guides to wrap, I end up making at least 2 during the rod, out of whatever is close at hand. Mono from a nearby reel or thread from a nearby spool. Whatever you have on hand that works, is what works. A tie off is a tie off. Holding a wrap tight with one hand while making a tie off loop with the other hand and my teeth is routine for me. I don't know why, it just happens. When the rod is done, I find a dozen tie off loops on my bench.

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:25AM

The real test of a master wrapper is to hold the thread, bend over and pick up the loop off of the floor, straigten up, and still get the thing under the thread, only to find out you put the loop in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:38AM

... in which case you insert another loop of thread into that tie-off loop and pull it halfway through and then use that one to tie off in the correct direction.

Sometimes rod building is about making mistakes and learning from them.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:43AM

You forgot one thing Tom, the phone will ring while you're doing all that.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 01:31PM

Yeah, and if you answer, there be a telemarketer or 'borrowing kin'. I use the dental floss threaders for Forhan locking wraps and 10 lb. PowerPro for other wraps. I tie a triple overhand loop in the powerPro and touch the knot with red nail polish to see it.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2007 02:02PM by Ralph Jones.

Date: August 17, 2007 05:58PM

You forgot one more thing Tom,,,,,,,,WHY HAVEN'T YOU TOLD US THAT TRICK BEFORE NOW ?? LOL
I am very capable of putting the loop in backwards on a double foot guide. I guess I am fishing and wrapping at the same time.
I will remember that one !!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster