I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epon 828
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip.fastwebnet.it)
Date: August 03, 2007 10:07AM

Does anybody help me to know where I can buy this kind of epoxy resin glue ?
I'm try to build a threadless guide wraps rod, with reference to the RodMaker magazine article.

Thanks in advance
Marco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epon 828
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2007 11:40AM

Well, you won't want to use that for your guide wraps if that's what you want it for. I think the article was pretty plain in that epoxy won't do the job of holding those guides - they'll pop off.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 01:56PM

you need to use permagloss

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 03:30PM

You can buy 55 gallon drums of Epon 828 from your nearest oil field service company. It is called Sand Set Resin. It will be fine to pump down hole but useless as a material for the threadless guide wrap. I am curious where in the world did you find the reference to Epon 828 - the product is almost fifty years old!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 05:43PM

was in the issue of rodmaker magazine that had the threadless guide wrap article....it was a history part telling how 2 guys met 50 years later at the rod building expo and such

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 03, 2007 07:14PM

Must be getting old, Bill. You wrote the article!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 03, 2007 08:21PM

I am just trying to figure out how anyone could read the thing and not realize that Perma Gloss was the only thing that will work. I guess things need to be written "See Spot Run" and nothing else. I was wondering if the original poster got some instructions over the internet from someone who heard how to do the process. Maybe Marco will chime in and let us know where he got his instructions. Rumors do fly in our space pretty fast!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 09:05PM

If I were Marco I would contact Ralph.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 03, 2007 09:19PM

Marco must be sleepin in Italy at present. When he wakes up in the morning I hope he does not tell us Italo told him what to get!
One extra thought if you cannot get Perma Gloss shipped to Europe try Swifty. I presently have a two light action rods done and they are being tested.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2007 09:22PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2007 10:42PM

Bill,

The military uses Epon 828 as a fiberglass resin to repair helicopters on non structural components. It's uses DTA as a hardener and a plasticiser, LP3, is usually added to increase flexibility. The standard mix ratio for Compound M is 100 grams 828, 10 grams DTA. and 15 grams LP3. It takes about 8 hours to air dry or 1 hour at 150 degrees F.

Michael

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.cust.tele2.it)
Date: August 05, 2007 04:56AM

Goodmorning Mr. Bill,
I waked up this morning (Italo didn't told me nothing) and with very pleasure I read your ironic answers !
With the exception of you, all other rodbuilder readers of my post has understood my incomprehension to read the article and suggest me the right way, YOU NOT !
You wanted to humiliate me with ironic answers. Thank you a lot Mr. Bill, for your assistance and help.
Oh sorry I forgot to indicate you a link where you can find evidence precence in the market today, about the Epon 828 ( [www.resins.com] ).
I'm reday to get my responsability to have read in superficial mode your article and do not understood NOTHING, but maybe you could be more polite next time Mr. Bill.

For all other rodbuilders in this post, I ask you sorry for these words and for my incomprehension to read the article, I promise to all in the future to read well any article, check the comprehension and then eventually write a post to ask help or compare and share any experience.

With this I consider close how was happened, and I wish to all good job!

Marco

Date: August 05, 2007 09:26AM

Extreme apology Marco - hope you will accept. This will completely change my response to many posts. Humor can be a bad thing if not understood. Sorry! Italo is a friend and I was teasing him.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.cust.tele2.it)
Date: August 05, 2007 09:36AM

Thank you Bill, I accept it !

Marco

Date: August 05, 2007 12:05PM

When I looked up your email address and found out you were in Italy I wondered if you had the magazine or if someone had sent you bad information over the internet. If you can not get the Perma Gloss there the two part finish by Swifty is something that may be a replacement. Ciao!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: August 05, 2007 12:29PM

Marco some times we in the states make jokes, here in the states that others outside of the United States do not understand.. Some of the builders make fun of my spelling. I am a terriable speller. I just laugh and run with it.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.106.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 10:29PM

Marco;
I use Epon 828 resin and Epicure 3140 hardener to glue my bamboo rod blanks together and I think it's great stuff. I also use it to glue cork rings together because I have it and it works fine for that,too. I don't know how welkl it would work for threadless guide attatchment, but it might be worth a shot. I do make clear wraps with white silk and thinned Flex Coat lite, but I don't think Epon would work for that.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster