I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon Fly Rod Help
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 04:05PM

I'm going to build a salmon fly rod for a woman (a gift), and need some recommendations on line weights, blanks, etc. She'll be fishing in Alaska. I can build it, but I don't have experience fishing Alaskan silvers and other such critters. The rod budget is around $200.00. I'm also leaning toward ceramic guides and would appreciate your thoughts on that too, as I'm a little concerned about using single foot guides, even with locking wraps. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon Fly Rod Help
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 06:06PM

John,
I lived in Alaska for 20 years and fished for silvers just about every place in the state that they show up. I would suggest a Dan Craft FT 9ft 7wt 4pc, Dan has them on sale on his web site [www.dancraftent.com] for $125.40, regular price $163.02. I would go with single foot ceramic guides. Dan can fix you up with everything you need to build the rod, he is a Baston dealer and
you can visit the Baston Web site to pick out the guides, reel seat & what ever else you need.

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Date: July 20, 2007 07:35PM

Thanks for the information, Bob. I'll look at the Dan Craft FT, and am I correct in assuming it's a 7 weight that can really handle an 8 or 9 weight line? I think I remember something about the FT's being rated like that. Thanks again for your advice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 08:47PM

The silvers in Alaska aren't any bigger than anywhere else. A 7 or 8 weight rod will handle them just fine.
Not knowing anything about the flyfishing experience of the lady in question, I'm not so sure I'd put her in a high modulus, faster actioned blank. I think a med fast blank would be easier for a more novice person to use, and a 33 mil like the RX6 blank, or an RX7 Batson or Tiger Eye blank would be an easier rod in wind/wx conditions and would hold up well to the knocks, etc. in a more wilderness environment.
Just came back from a week in Alaska and we broke 3 high modulus rods while there.

Date: July 20, 2007 09:26PM

Thanks Spencer. I happen to have a St. Croix Imperial (now discontinued) in a 9'-0", 8 weight, 4 pc. The blank is St. Croix's SC II, which I think is 33 million modulus. She is very good with a fly rod, but not advanced. The CCS numbers I got from the Imperial blank are: ERN - 9.2, AA - 65. She might like that a lot. Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 11:48AM

Don't be afraid to use single foot guides, I do this all the time with serious saltwater rods, both fly and regular, and as long as you get a good locking wrap these guides will be stronger than anything else you can put on the rod

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 02:12PM

John:
After selling thousands of rods here in AK, and as a 20+ year Alaskan, I would steer her toward an 8 wt. "Most" 7 weights are at their maximum when fighting Silvers. But...that is not to say it can't be done...here me out.

Two variables to consider are most important; one,depth of water and two, speed of the current. Example: Take a 13# Coho and fight it in a very slow river or slough with little-to-no current-it can be done all day long on a 7 weight. Now, take that same fish and factor in a deep-fast river and the picture changes. The 7 weight is maxed-out and requires more time to reel-in due to less power of the rod. IMHO, an 8 weight of the mentioned blank builders is a better choice and will reduce fish fighting time which results in less arm/hand/shoulder fatigue, and therefore making the experience for the ladie more enjoyable.

Spencer also hit the nail on the head when he mentioned a med-fast action rod. I have taught many ladies how to fly cast, and this type of action seems to work best like he mentioned.

Also, that St. Croix Imperial was a legendary rod in my eyes. I sold tons of them, and outcasted many rods in front of there reps. that doubled the cost of the Imperial. That rod was close to one of most popular rods in the shop I worked at. (Mt. View Sports in Anchorage.)

Good luck John, just wanted to chime in and hope I could help ya and voice a different perspective that you may not have thought of.

Paul

Date: July 22, 2007 04:54PM

Thanks for the advice, Paul. I think I'm going to build the salmon rod on the St. Croix Imperial blank I have, which is an 8 weight. I wish I had bought more of those blanks when I had the chance. I noticed that the Batson Forecast and Diamondback's Diamondfly blanks are very similar to the Imperial's CCS numbers listed in an above posting. I would think those blanks would also be good choices. I'll complete the rod with single foot ceramic guides (lock wrapped) , good quality cork grip and nice reel seat. I think it'll be a great rod.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 08:40PM

John...

I think she will be very happy with your choice-I know many of my customers were. Good call!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster