I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for rod building books
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 04:48PM

Trying to find copies of the following. Used or even lightly damaged are fine.

How To Build Custom-Made Handcrafted Fishing Rods by John Emery

Crafting Custom Rods by Henry Larkin

Please E-mail to me if you have either and are willing to sell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2007 04:52PM by Ken Finch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for rod building books
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2007 09:18PM

Ken,

Not to get your hopes up, but I have copies of both of those books. However, they are not for sale.

I have been thinking about having a display at the ICRBE in February showcasing some of the older books, tools and components from years gone by. I wonder how many new rod builders have ever seen a multi-position Featherweight casting handle, or a Lews white gripped casting handle. What about a Heddon Magnesium rod blank? And all the old catalogs and books from the 60's and 70's that are pretty rare these days. I think it might be pretty interesting for a lot of folks.

But, I'm reminded by a buddy that much of this stuff is irreplaceable at this point and the older books and catalogs are easlly damaged by hundreds of guys thumbing through them. I have to think on this a bit more before deciding the feasibility of such a thing.

In the meantime, put your request on the buy/sell/trade page. Somebody with a copy might stumble through and see it there. As it is your post here will be a page deep in the next day or so.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:34PM

Tom;
if you deside to do so. I would put things behind glass or in glass cases.
It can really be diheartening to have something damaged by an unintentional good hearet soul. Could ruin yours and his week end.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:48PM

i would say put the books in a case and open them up to a good page or something just to show what the old books look like...i think that would be a good idea and it shouldnt get damaged

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:16PM

careful you old guys are showing your age lol. That would be real interesting Tom I for one would love to see what you pros were doing when I was using wood glue and a prayer.

Posted by: Ron Flynn (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 22, 2007 01:32AM

saw the book How To Build Custom-Made Handcrafted Fishing Rods by John Emery on amazon

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 11:43AM

Ken,
Powell Books and other quality independent book sellers can usually come up with copies of some of the older books in a few days. Just don't expect them to give them away. Amazon is the same thing, you get listing from all over the coutry from indie shops, but the cost is usually a litte higher than what I've experienced elsewhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster