I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide concept question
Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:41PM

Hello out there,
Looking for some opinions, building a spinning rod using the NGconcept and will be running a 30-20 first two guides. Will be using 10/2 powerpro exclusively on this rod. Question is, will I be alright going from a 20 down to a 6mm intercept guide or should I use a 7mm. I usually use a 7mm when goin from a 16, but I wanted to see if I could get away with a 6mm running such small diameter line. What do you guys think, is it too restrictive goin from a 20mm to a 6mm, should I stay w a 7mm and forget about using the 6's?

Thanks, Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide concept question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 11:01PM

Tim,
You need to read the article in the library again, you don't select the guides, the rod and reel does. Using that small a diameter line and I'm assuming a smaller reel the 30 is probably to big to start with. Go with the absolute smallest and least amount of guides that you can.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 11:25PM

I am with Speecer on this. Here, take alook at this...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 12:04AM

Me too! What size rod? 25's about as big as I ever use and often a 20 Then usually a 10 and the rest #6 ceramic fly guides
The first guide sizeshouldn't be bigger than 1/2 of the diameter of the reel spool (50mm spool = size 25 guide)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 12:06AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 12:35AM

hey guys, maybe if I give you a little background on what I am doing it might help you guys understand what I am goin for and therefore be able to help me out.....spencer, it really isn't a small set-up at all (a Salmon rod, 11'3") but it is a rod that I want to get maximum casting distance fishing a superline......

Chose the 30-20 based on the spool size and angle of the reel, (a daiwa 3500 series) falling btw the "17-25"" parameters but doesn't the builder have a little "decision making" when it comes to the size of the guides on the tip section of the rod (intercept and running guides) basically based on the diameter of the line you are running (see #2 in the article)? There are a couple of questionable issues that I have, one being that yes, the spool is larger, being a 3500 Daiwa, so the 30-20 is what works BUT this is somewhat of an interesting dilemma because generally speaking one wouldn't run such small running guides based on that spool size (because usually on a reel that size one would use larger diameter line) but based on the 2lb diameter of the line. Am building a spinning rod that I am looking for the greatest casting distance out of, and this will be my personal rod so I am looking to push the boundaries a bit. If I were to follow the NGC to the tee, I could be running up to 15 guides on this 11'3" rod, virtually eliminating whatever benefits the NGC and its smaller guide system offer, loading the tip section up w/ unneccesary guides and weight. But I have decided not to run running guides on the tip section of an 11'3" rod every 5 inches and space it out according to a static distribution within the boundaries of the intercept location. I would like to keep the tip as absolutely light as possible using TLSG's for running/intercept (titanium SIC's, looked at gold cermets be believe it or not, they are heavier than TLSG's) and have used 7's in the past for the same blank, somewhat of the set-up except used a 4000 shimano, 25-16-7's all the way out as the guides. The daiwa spool is about a half an inch larger in Diameter than the Shimano 4000 so in this instance, I went w/ 30-20 tlvsg's instead of the 25 (tysg) and 16 (tlvsg) and 7(tlsg's).

Now you guys have me wondering if I should try to squeeze a guide in between the 20 and the intercept, but I really don't want to run more guides on the butt section than I need.

Things are so much easier using the NGC when moderate sized rods and reels are used. If a builder varies away from that '6'6" rod, 2500 series reel, things get much tougher when it comes to decisions...guess this is what makes rod building rod building.....

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:05AM

Why don't you spend a little extra on a couple of extra guides sizes mount them with tape trying the diferent sizes to see what you can go with, If you feel you need the larger sizes for casting distance then put them on first.. Do some test casting. Mark your casting distances then start palying with the smaller guides to see if you do infact have restriction problems with the smaller sizes or at the sizes they start. So you can have the rod that performs to what you want. My guess is that you will find Mike and Spence correct and be able to use a smaller setup.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2007 09:11AM

I would think you'd be fine with the #6 running guides. I am, however, having a hard time visualizing how you'll get a straight line path going from a 30 to a 20 to a 6. Unless you have a ton of distance between the 20 and the 6. Something just doesn't sound right about this.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 01:02AM

Just finished a 11 1/2' older Fenwick HMG rod. Using a Daiwa 3500 my guide sizes went 25-12-6(11 of them). I am casting with 14lb Fireline and 2 ounce lead constantly in the 100-110 yard range on the test field. Slightly shorter distances on the beach during actual fishing. The guides are Fuji titanium single foots with the choke/running guides being TSG fly guides. I had to use a 7 ring tip because I couldn't locate a 6 ring with the correct tube diameter. The rod catches fish nicely too. Hope this helps. Also wrapping a 12' Fenwick now, concept layout with a Daiwa 5500ZA . The 50 sized BSVLG works the best so far with size 10 running guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster