I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Respirator for Permagloss/Xylene....?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 08:13PM

Ok, after getting my first Permagloss headache I'm paying more attention to the fumes. I've done a thorough search on this forum and learned of the dangers of Xylene.

Question: Within reason (meaning not multiple hundred $$ masks if there are such critters), what's the best respirator mask for Permagloss?

Thanks!
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Respirator for Permagloss/Xylene....?
Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 08:45PM

When I was a painting contractor, I had reason to wear those things frequently. I have to say that the Survivair worked the best and was the most comfortable. The cartridges are rather pricey and will go about the business of purifying the neighborhood while you are not wearing your mask, thus ending their effectiveness, so it is a good idea to remove them from the mask and seal them into Ziploc bags when not in use. You probably don't need the pre-filters since you are not atomizing your finish, and the VOC (volatile organic carbon) filters are all you need.

You can probably find one on-line, but I know you can pick one up at any paint store or Home Depot for about $50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 09:05PM by Bill Lane.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 12:20AM

The purple VOC cartridges according to OSHA guidlines deperndent on ppm per 8 hr day...use proper ventilation and common sense in reality.(ie don't hover over the fumes)

........solution to pollution is dillution.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and tylonol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 12:38AM by Michael Joyce.

Date: July 09, 2007 01:51AM

Thanks guys. Bill, do you know what model Survivair you used? I went on @#$%& and there were plenty of Survivair HALF mask for pretty cheap. Under $10 it seems? And various cartridges too. Not sure what types.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Mo

Posted by: Erik Kunz (69.228.170.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:24AM

Purple cartridges are NOT for organic vapors. Purple cartridges are P-100 (also known as HEPA) cartridges which are filters for particulates (dusts, mists, and fumes). Vapors are not particulates and will pass directly through a filter.

Whatever brand, you want a cartridge that is rated for Organic Vapors. With Survivair and many other brands, that is the black cartridge.
[www.survivair.com]

Personally and professionally, I like the North brand half-mask respirators... the 7700 series.

The cartridge will eventually get saturated, allowing vapors to break through, and will require replacement.

In the workplace, OSHA requires employers to establish change-out schedules to predict when cartridges will go bad and change them before breakthrough occurs. As a home-user, and because xylene has good warning properties (i.e. you smell it fairly easily... long before it's a hazard), I'd advise you to change the cartridge if you smell xylene when you have the respirator on.

Of course the best way of protecting yourself is to provide good ventilation, but I realize this isn't usually feasible in the home.

Erik

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:59AM

Mo

As Erik stated, the vapor cartridges are usually black. (by the way...paints don't release fumes... Vapors are the result of eVAPORation... I had that drilled into me as an apprentice LOL.) I still think the easiest thing to do is to visit a paint store depending on where you live. In San Diego, there is a Sherwin Williams, Dunn-EDWARDS, Home Depot, or Frazee in every neighborhood corner and they always have everything you need.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.sub-65-209-251-64-127.inetsvc.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 12:03PM

Bill... glad that whole Fume versus Vapor thing got through to you. As an Industrial Hygienist, I used to do a ton of respirator training, which always included pounding on that concept.

Date: July 09, 2007 12:47PM

THANKS to all. Clear.

And thanks for the reminder. I do have good ventilation in my basement. However, I've never done a threadless where I had so much exposure in a day which is where my headache came from. Previously, it's just two coats at most and I'm done - in and out. Threadless took a lot more permagloss which showed that my 'whole basement' venting fan was still not enough even though I had a nice light breeze.

Thanks again.
Mo

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:20PM

Will these masks work if you are irritated by 2 part epoxy - glues or finishes?

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:36PM

Marc, I believe the irritation with epoxies is a allergic reaction to them. It triggers the allergic reaction by contact (fumes or physical contact) with the skin anywhere on the body. So, no, the respirators won't solve the epoxy allergy problem.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.sub-65-209-251-64-127.inetsvc.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:37PM

Marc, it depends on what kind of epoxy or glue you are working with. The 2-part epoxies have significant odors often have amine-based hardners, and it is the amines that are causing the odors. In that case, an amine cartridge would be appropriate. For varnishes it is organic vapors. For superglue it is acrylates. Just depends on the material you are talking about.

The multi-purpose cartridges sold by most manufacturers (usually a drab yellow/green color) are designed for multiple different contaminants including amines, organic vapors, and several other specificy types of contaminants. These would be your best bet, but be advised that they do not protect against everything. You need to know what the contaminants are in order to properly select a cartridge. Follow the manufacturers instructions for use.

Also, if there is a material you are working with that is bothersome to you, call the manufacturer or hop on the internet and get the Material Safety Data Sheet so that you know what is in the product, and what the vapors are made of so that you can protect yourself accordingly.

It doesn't sound like this is the case, but if you are sensitized to epoxy hardners to the point where you experience an allergic-type reaction, then you would best avoid the use of those epxoxies you are sensitized to all together as respiratory exposure is only one exposure route, and dermal contact can cause the reaction just as well. Follow your Doctor's advise if that's the case.

Erik

Date: July 09, 2007 01:44PM

Thanks Erik,

I don't have any allergic reactions, but am more concerned about long-term effects from using the stuff if that makes a difference. Anyone know what the large rod manufacturers do, as they have people that work with epoxy glues and finishes for a living?

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 06:16PM

Rod Building Origin of the Species

Testors glue building model airplanes as a kid -

Hydrogen sulfide / benzene / VCM / chlorine in the oil field and refineries for 20 years -

Tank trucks of epoxy resins with cresol for 10 years -

Radiation from nukes for 10 years -

Epoxies 10 years in rodbuilding lead to severe sensitization: Check this out -

[www.dermnetnz.org]

My arms and legs are not a pretty sight -

Epoxy ran me to Perma Gloss -

Perma Gloss the final straw - even smells better than the Testors!

I made it this far and am now @#$%& air through a respirator.

I guess I am extremely lucky to be typing this note -

Take care and work safely in good air and use the correct safety equipment.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 06:17PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 12:22AM

marc morrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know
> what the large rod manufacturers do, as they have
> people that work with epoxy glues and finishes for
> a living?

Well I think the majority are built offshore. No doubt a lot of mechanization when possible too.

Date: July 10, 2007 12:54AM

I know that in the guitar world, I've seen sprayer using full suits with internal air supply. I'm not sure if they do that with rods manufacturing.....:)

Mo

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:32AM

Anyone that is having amine sensitivity issues, or is concerned about them, should look very hard at Diamondite. It is a very good finish - it is NOT an epoxy and it contains no amines.

Date: July 10, 2007 04:52PM

Thanks Jim -

I'll order up some Diamondite today!!!

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (12.213.80.---)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:51AM

I have not been on the forum for a while so I am Behind
Here is the Q
Is Diamondite a Permagloss and what other brands are?
Looking for something for the threadless guide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster