I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cobia Fishermen ?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 08:18PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been invited to head over to Destin, Florida next year and spend some time fishing offshore with a good friend of my fathers. He is an AVID Cobia/Ling fisherman and I would like to make him a custom rod as a thank you for letting us stay with him and his hospitality. I've never even SEEN a Cobia in person. I've read up some about them and read some pretty hilarous reports about people getting accidentally hit with the fish mallet while the Cobia destroyed the rest of the boat... (well it was funny to me for sure... ;-) )

So, if there's anyone out there that is familiar with offshore Cobia fishing I would love to hear from you.

I've already purchased an 8 foot live bait rod (Rainshadow RCLB 80M 20-50lb.) that I was told was fantastic for Cobia since he often uses live eel. I know it will be a spinning rig for sure. I just need help with things like what is the typical fishing style ? Cast and restrieve then hold on for dear life ? Rod in a belt or held under the arm or braced on your leg ? Butt length, grip style... etc.

I have some pics that his wife sent me of some of the rigs that he's currently using. So if anyone is up to the task of helping me out just shoot me an email, I can send you the pics and we can go from there.

shieldski@hotmail.com

Sorry for being so long winded but this is a very special project to me and I want to blow his socks off.

Thanks as always for all the support, Jeff Shields
Shieldski Customs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 08:54PM by Jeff Shields.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cobia Fishermen ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2007 09:29PM

A cobia is a supersonic catfish on steroids. Very strong, very fast and they don't tire easily. My best was a 75+ pounder way back in the mid 1980's.

There are different ways to fish for them. Some people troll, others cast. You might want to find out a bit more about how your friend actually fishes for them. Then you can make him something that he can use in the style which he prefers.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 09:43PM

I just spoke to the wife and she said that he actually site casts to the cobia in the clear Destin waters. He typically uses live eel.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 11:35PM

12 inch rear grip, 8 inch fore. Aluminum reel seat. Use a size 40 first guide and leave the tip a size 10 or 12. I would recommend a mushroom butt cap, as I know very few that would use a gimbal... at most a basic belt that a mushroom is fine with. A Quantum Cabo 70 makes a nice reel to balance this out with. If you made the whole set-up go with the Pac Bay silver/blue seat and make the whole thing match. The same set-up will also make him a good Tarpon rig.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:59AM

Calstar 800L would make a great cobia blank and is also a great tarpon blank if the opportunity presents itself.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:17AM

My best is just 80#, but they get a lot larger. Saw a 5-footer gaffed way to early and brought aboard a 16' Whaler a few years ago. Destroyed the inside of the boat, including the center console. Every time the dad hit it with the priest it just got more enraged. His son was kind of hiding in the back of the boat. They had to tow the guy in.

Our waters on the southern Outer Banks are pretty good for cobia but Destin is one of the best places for them. We watched boats trolling 30-50yds off the beach taking them regularly.

Most of the folks round here use a 7' or 8' standup-type rod for them, similar to what was described above. Most of the fishing for them here is live-bait, in the deep holes where they are found most of the time. Boat-rod guides as opposed to rollers. I've been wondering what a spiral wrap would do for live bait (I do like the new "bumper guide" idea) on an 8' stick.

See what he likes and then build it for him after the trip as a "thank you"

Gee, you sure are going to have fun! Let us know how you did.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.152.228.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 11:04AM

Jeff:

Just as Tom ,Scott, Steve & Russ said they are fighters ! Just got one two weeks ago that went 65 + I was under rodded & fought it for a while, Remember to cut the tail and let him bleed out before you bring him into the boat. They will hurt you! I'm with Scott on the rod a Calstar 800 but I like the 800-H for Destin as offshore the Bill Fish up there are Monsters. I also would use double foot guides . All around great choices and would make a nice gift to show for your trip.
Good Luck
Bill Rice

Posted by: Steven Garcia (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 09, 2007 03:15PM

Jeff, perhaps the local gulf coast fishing forum may be of some help for information : [www.pensacolafishingforum.com]. There has been lots of discussion of what gulf coast fisherman think is a good cobia setup. I believe the majority of fisherman targeting cobia in the Destin (Gulf coast) area use live eels, sight fishing, rely on very accurate casting, long casts. However they also use cobia jigs that I would guess are in the 2 to 4 oz range (when the live eels don't produce). Hope this helps...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster