I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee Handle Popularity
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 03:57PM

Just wondering what everyone sees on this one. It seems that production rod companies have pretty much dumped TN handles, even though they are some of the most comfortable and sensitive. Do many of you still have demand for this grip as custom builds?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee Handle Popularity
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2007 04:23PM

A bit of a new twist on the old TN handle is coming up in the next issue of RodMaker. I think you'll like it.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.9.69.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 04:58PM

I just built a Rainshadow IP840 and a St. Croix 3S70ULM2 with 10" TN Sensor graphite handles from Custom Tackle. I took them on two fishing trips last week, where other guys got to use them a little when I wasn't fishing them. Anyone who used them, including me, said they were the most comfortable handles they'd ever used. I expect a couple rod orders as a result of those fishing trips and I bet you anything they request the TN Sensor handle. I have always liked the TN style in cork but I think I like the graphite version even better. It makes sense given Tom's recent ergonomics article in issue 10-3 because they have a larger diameter than an 18 or even 20 spin seat and feel very comfortable for long hours of fishing. I fished for about 24 hours in two days and no complaints. Of course, how could anyone complain after fishing two full days!

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 05:27PM

Marc is correct, that not many manufacturers are installing TN style handles on spinning rods. They must feel as if there is not enough overall demand for these type handles. That being a big plus for custom builders to offer the TN. It appears if a customer wants a TN style handle, whether it be cork or the graphite tubing, our "TN Sensor", he will have to find a custom builder and that's what we like to hear. We also have a new material in the works for TN style handles that we are introducing. It will be a split grip TN handle, made of very light weight graphite that is solid. Steve Kartalia, always glad to hear a satisfied "TN Sensor", user testimonial. Tom, it will be interesting to see the new twist idea for TN handles.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply -- **The "TN Sensor" -- In Memory of Mr. Lloyd Simmons

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 05:40PM

At times it`s a tough sell to tape the reel to top of the line rods (even to myself), but I still think a cork handle with no reel seat is the most comfortable and efficient set-up. Certainly in cold weather. One thing I do is sand the grip flat (or slightly oval) where the reel is mounted and then sand a shallow groove around the grip ( the width of slightly stretched electric tape) at each end of the reel. This looks neater and feels great. Cut the grooves just deep enough so your tape will end up level or slightly below the OD of the cork handle.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 01:36AM

As I build and repair rods for more and more folks, they often ask what rods and style I personally use. Many are really shocked and surprised that my own bass, walleye, and pan fish rods have no reel seat. I tell them I have evolved to the simple, light and sensitive feel of the Custom Tenn. handle. Some think I am joking and showing them a prop rod 'til I point out to them that this is an SCV blank with light / strong American Tackle Titans put on Concpt Style with Forhan locking wraps. Friends that fish with me often become converted in one evening of using one of these sensitive, light rods. Split Grip Tenn. handles are even lighter. Variety is the spice of life.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 10:48AM

I've never had a complaint from a person I built a rod for with tenn handles.
I had one client tell me
"Dude I can't even pick up my other rods now. It has become my favorite"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2007 10:49AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 09:48PM

I would love to find some Graphite Tennessee that's lighter than cork when considering overall weight. However, I've not found any that comes close to the weight of simple cork. The difference is made even more when one takes into account the arbors and epoxy.

Mo

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 02:40AM

You have to create the demand by educating the consumer on the many advantages of the TN handles. Cork or graphite - split or standard - the ability to adjust the balance of the rod by moving the reel up or down the handle for the desired balance, the light weight, cold weather utility, sensitivity, ease of construction - all are huge advantages. Some may not like the looks of the tape - but they cannot deny the utility of the design - I landed a 10.6 pound walleye with one of mine last year - which wasn't a huge test - but the 45.5 pound flathead cat a couple weeks later really gave it a work out for the half hour battle (pretty impressive ride for 8 pound test on a walleye jigging rod) - if the tape on versions can handle that I am no longer worried. Bottomline - you educate your customer and yourself - and you will see the world beat a path to your door (or was that something about mousetraps?) One last world of advice - you can use electrical tape (if so buy the best 3M model 33?), a self-fusing rubber tape, or the Tommy tape style silicon tape - they all work well - I find myself using more of the silicon type all the time. All the spinning rods built for our family rods are TN handles... your results may vary - some just don't care for the looks - like I said - it is difficult to deny the utility of them. Chuck Ungs

Date: July 10, 2007 09:25AM

Since Chuck brought about the subject of what to use in order to mount the reel on a TN Style grip, I'll throw out one way that I think really helps hold the reel better. I make at least 2 to 3 rounds of the nylon filament strapping type tape. This is really some very tough and strong tape and you can really put a lot more pressure to it, when using it as a base wrap. This type of type requires you to cut it. It does not tear into. After making the few rounds of the nylon filament tape, then cover it with the high quality black electrical tape, shrink tubing, self-fusing tape, tommy tape or whatever you prefer to use. As a suggestion, never get too bulky with whatever you use to mount the reel, as too much bulk of the material holding the reel on, will become a dis-comfort in your hand. Keep the mounting to a minimum. The 2 to 3 rounds of nylon strapping tape will actually hold the reel, while the top covering is just for comfort.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:26AM

Bob nailed it - the strapping tape holds the reel and the electrical tape is just a cover up. The secret to the electrical tape (Scotch 33) is to put it on under light tension. If you stretch it too much you get a sticky handle.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 12:03PM

Question!!! I noticed that no one seems to use the graphite sliding rings. Is there a reason for this?? I have even heard of them being used on the graphite/texilium grips. Really curious!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 01:05PM

On one of my rods it's simply stupidity! I forgot to put the rings on my graphite TN before I glued the cork ends on. On my SCIV vertical jigger I did Rich Forhan's Rodmaker version and I built it with a 1.25" diam for MN October/November walleye fishing with frozen hands.

I have some very nice graphite slip rings that I got from Merrick - can't remember who's they are- that will go on some rods soon. I think slip rings turned some folks off when used with plain cork - they loosen up. Burl cork or inserts (poker chips or other) cures that.

Date: July 10, 2007 01:28PM

Mike -- I think slip rings, whether metal or graphite, are personal preference. I do not care for them, but sell lots of them to others that like to use them. I don't care for the metal rings. At times of the year, the metal can be hot or cold. Another issue of rings, they are just too bulky and hard in the hand for me. Also as Chuck mentioned, they can work loose and that is very annoying. This is just one of those cases of personal preference. For me, spin rings and color preserver fall into the same catagory. Even though I sell both here at the shop, don't like either. It's tough on me when somebody calls at the shop and ask me the question of what spin rings or color preserver I like. I start to studder and stammer a little.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster