I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BERKLEY SS304CS guides
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 11, 2007 10:10AM

Has anyone had a chance to use these guides yet (available from Jann's NetCraft) to determine their durability? I've seen them on factory built rods in the stores and they seem super light. Or have you seen the factory rods with them show up with grooved rings or other wear problems? They've got some sort of metal "ring" and no ceramic insert. Any feedback from users would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BERKLEY SS304CS guides
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 10:26AM

Steve I think you will find they are made by a few manufacturers or made to different specks, there seems to be a big problem with the rings falling out on many of the maassed produced rods, BUT I have no idea if these guides are identical to what janns offers
John

Date: June 11, 2007 10:46AM

According to Jann's, these are the guides used on virtually all the new Fenwick, Berkley, and ABU Garcia rods, which jives with what I have seen in the store racks. Those rod companies tout them as being MORE durable and lighter than standard aluminum oxide guides but that's in their advertising, so I am not inclined to believe it until I hear from those who've built or repaired rods using them. John, I guess if the ring falls out, then the ring''s durability is a non-factor since you've got to replace the guide anyway. They are priced similar to Batson H-ring which I know are durable from using them a lot. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 11:19AM

Steve I don't know if the frequency of repair is much different from other rods but every repair I have done with them and it is quite a lot was do do the ring falling out. One thing to remember most of the people using these rods don't pay particular care of them and they get far more abuse then high end rods. Again not certain if they are the same guide but Ugly Stik also uses them on the lite versions and have the same problem with the rings
John

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 11:21AM

I built an UL spinning rod with them about 4 years ago, and no problems yet. They are very light, and over-all I like them. I did do an abrasion resistance test with some of the tip tops, comparing to Hi-alloy's, and they did scratch or dammage easier.

If I built with them again, I don't think I would use them for the tip top. They are still just stainless steel with some type of chrome plating.

Marc

Date: June 11, 2007 11:25AM

John, good point about the rods having these guides probably not getting the best of care. Even decent or high quality components won't stand up to abuse. I appreciate the feedback.

Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.246.218.85.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 11:29AM

I can't believe my luck. I "discovered" these guides while browsing the internet sites sponsored by Rodbuilding.Org looking for appropriate guides to fit onto my elderly (45 years old and counting) Garcia 7 foot light action fiber glass spinning rod. I thought that these guides would do the trick since I noted that they are used on Abu Garcia rods. I have the old guides which are OK, but since there were only four between the tip-top and stripper guide, I thought that five would be more proper. I also wanted the advantage of not having to wind twice on a guide when one would do.

I guess I'll give this one some more thought. In any event, not to steal anyone's thunder, but if the Berkley guides won't do it, what would be a good alternative that will work?

Date: June 11, 2007 02:01PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with them Marc.

Patrick, compared to what was original on your ABU Garcia, just about any guide available will be an improvement, including the SS304CS I am talking about. You could also use Fuji Alconites in chrome or black frames, or Batson H-ring in Chrome or black frame as high quality but inexpensive options. If you are trying to "restore" the rod to original, you probably want chromed metal guides without ceramic inserts such as these from Mud Hole and other sponsors (I'm assuming the originals were plain wire guides):

[shop.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:03PM

I agree with John Britt. These guides are not of the best quality. As you know Berkeley is made off shore. I think Korea, not sure. In any case I would go for Batson or Pac Bay. Their guides are also made off shore , butt their quality controll is great.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: June 12, 2007 07:50AM

Steve, I've used them on light rods that were not going to be abused or used for heavy work. They are great for things like small stream trout or blue gills. I've had no problems with them, however due to the material in them I would not recomend them for braidrd line as I'm sure they will groove over time.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 09:14AM

I use them for Bass rods exclusively unless the customer requests otherwise, They are light....inexpensive....the rings NEVER come out. The only downfall is that if they are stepped on and bent...you can bend them right back...but several times of this and they break. That is probably true of all guides that are not made of titanium. I love them...Haven't had a complaint from a customer yet in over 50 Bass rods.

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.linncounty.org)
Date: June 14, 2007 04:54PM

I had contacted Berkley a year ago asking about purchasing their guides and they actually sent me to Janns as a supplier of their guides. So they are exactly the same ones seen on Berkley, Fenwick, Mitchell and Garcia rods... Chuck Ungs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster