I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is cork sealer required on a saltwater handle?
Posted by: Jason Smith (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 09:18AM

I have never used sealer before, but someone suggested it for saltwater rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is cork sealer required on a saltwater handle?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 09:29AM

I don't know that it is "required" but it surely isn't a bad idea. I build inshore rods with cork and ALWAYS apply a coat of U40's Cork Seal. I believe it adds a protective layer to help keep the "cork" from coming apart as quickly.

Unfortunately, today's cork has too much filler - the epoxy in that filler is easily damaged by saltwater ... that leaves you with a really crappy looking grip with pits all over it. So ... I slow the process by putting that coating on it.

You will still find yourself "reconditioning" cork grips that are used extensively in saltwater. Just a fact of life.

Date: June 11, 2007 02:18PM

Is there a home-made alternative to the U40? I need to seend my rod out tommorrow. Thanks.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:14PM

I I agree with Jim! Salt water is vary abrasive, just like sand paper. As for a alternative. Try a Lite coat of tru oil, gun stock oil or maybe a urethane finish

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 04:04PM

Some Wal-Mart stores carry Tru-Oil ... Bass Pro carries it too. Most gun shops will have it - although at a higher price. It is primarily marketed for the conditioning of gun stocks. It is a blend of various natural oils, it will do the job nicely. It will darken the cork a bit ... 2-3 very light coats will achieve what you are looking for in protection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2007 08:03PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Jason Smith (---.dal.net.va.gov)
Date: June 11, 2007 06:26PM

Thanks, great advice as usual.

Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 08:42PM

Futures floor wax applied with a paper towel.... don't laugh, it works

-jb

Date: June 11, 2007 08:57PM

In past years I have used Johnson's hard wood flor wax. I took a old nylon (wife's) and burnished it in at a high speed.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 11, 2007 11:00PM

Simple white spar varnish, from any hardware or marine supply store. Relatively inexpensive for the amount you get on a per-ounce basis, takes about 3 or 4 coats to get a gloss finish on the average 7"-9" grip. Or just one or two for a "sealer" finish.

We use Trondak's Cork Seal if we're doing one coat as a basic protectant. We use spar varnish or Cork Seal if we want a gloss finish - the result is a bit different between the two products.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: June 13, 2007 12:35AM

One coat of spar looks great so far. I cant decide if i'll put another coat on. I dont want to gloss it up, just protect. Thanks

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 11:38AM

I put 2 or 3 light coats of spar urethane on all my cork handles using a coffee filter. If you don't want a glossy finish after the final coat dries rub it lightly with super fine ,0000, steel wool and the shine will go away.

Bob Crook
La Pine, Oregon

Date: June 14, 2007 12:10AM

What one has to temember, is cork is vary dense and no matter what product you use. You get vary little penitration. In reallity it is just covering the surface
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster