I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Checking for the spine
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 01:43PM

I have noticed on some videos and books that some check for the spine after they put the grip on and some do it first . Is it kinda like somethings its just a matter of prefernce. I just got all my equipment in today and will start on my first rod soon. Thanks for any and all comments. This forum has been really helpful.
Thanks again
Brent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Checking for the spine
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 01:58PM

Brent,

Do a search here for spine and select ALL DATES and you will get enough opinions to last a lifetime! Any mention of the spine is almost certain to kick of a debate on whether to consider the spine or not when buiding a rod. Many consider it a non factor while others consider it important.. Read the opinions and then do what you think is important. Keep asking questions!
You might want to go into MY CONTROL CENTER at the top of message list and go into your e-mail settings and enter and verify your address so builders can contact you direct with help.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2007 02:01PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:04PM

mike makes some good points

I'll offer that I don't pay any attentino to the spine when building my rods but rather use the straightest axis.

Also, if you do think spine is important, then it doesnt make much sense to put on the grip before checking the spine as the grip will be in a fixed position in relation to the spine that may or may not be what you are looking for.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:52PM

I agree with Mike and Joshua! This is topic well start a fire storm. Even if the spine is not a functionally debate. At least the rod well have a cosmetic appeal. I am from the OLD SCHOOL.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 11, 2007 08:24PM

If your going to find the spline of the blank, I would do it before anything is
installed. Especially the seat if you are going to orient the seat in any
relation to the spline.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 11, 2007 11:08PM

We, on the other hand, pay particular attention to the spine, including that the first thing we don with a new blank is to check spine on the little Renzetti spine finder tool. We also check it "by hand" (the old fashioned way). Now, I'm not going to generate another of those three page threads here about the "rightness" or "wrongness" of caring about spine, and yes, I know we're messing with "apparent" spine, or "strong-side" spine, or whatever you want to call it.

We find the spine before we add anything to the blank because we want to line up the reel seat and tip, both along the spine. We also find out if the rod has multiple apparent spines (which many do). Sometimes we find that the strength of the spine wil determine whether we use the blank as a spinning rod, or as a casting rod.

- hope that helps
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:05AM

Thanks for all the input. I did find the spine I think seeing this is my first rod. When refearing to grip I just meant the bottom grip not the seat. Just to add a little weight. All is good I found the spine. Have the grip and seat in place this is so exciting to me. I think it looks pretty good lol. Again thanks to all for your help and future help. Much appreciated
Brent Keever

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 02:15AM

Not interested in contributing to another of the many spine debate threads on the net, but I will fess up that im part of the growing minority that still pays attention to the spine. Right or wrong, if you do wish to spine your rods, heres a quick and easy tip to simplify the process....litterally takes 30 seconds. With most of the rods I build, the rear grip has no concequence to the spine or allignment to the seat, guides etc., so I install the rear grip, and locate the spine as I install the seat. Whether the spine is a concern or not, everything has to line up with the reelseat hoods anyway, so if the seat is in line with the spine, everything else will be on spine. Rather than marking the blank and attempting to line everything up from there, I simply install the seat, and before the glue dries I locate the spine of the blank by placing the butt on the floor, one hand below the tip, and push on the mid-section of the blank until it "snaps to attention". Then I rotate the seat into position using the groove on the backside of most graphite seats, or the trigger on casting seats as a reference point . With the blank loaded up, the backside of the seat will be positioned up for a conventional rod, and the hood pockets up for a spinning rod, and set it aside to cure into place. For aluminum seats with no reference point on the backside, I usually just mount the seat to a reel, set the reel upside down on the table with the backside of the reel facing up, and mark the backside of the seat with a china marker. Its a quick, simple, and accurate process thats just built into my regular assenbly routine that has worked well for me.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 02:57AM

Here goes the fire storm. I am not saying if it makes a difference in the rod performance, if the rod spine is on top, side ways , up or down or even off sided to each peace of a 2 peace rod. I do not like my rods looking like a snake. I like my rods to follow the curvature of the blank. With the curve going down. to me it is esthetically pleasing
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster