I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dream Reamer and Acid Rod - WOW!!!
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:22PM

Ok, a post I made a few days back convinced me I should pickup the Dream Reamer set - so when I made my order for some rod components from Acid Rod, I tossed in the Dream Reamer for $59 on sale w/free shipping, and somehow a $59 on sale PacBay rod dryer found it's way into my "shopping cart" as well - imagine that :-) Haven't had a chance to use the dryer yet, but all I can say is my hat is off again to Acid Rod - great prices, super fast shipping, and a perfect order. All I can say is wow - they are one of the best, bar none. If you have not bought from them - do so!

Now - the Dream Reamer. Yeah, I could have finagled my way into a homemade reamer set with handles on it and the like - but I could never find a satisfactory method of making it an accurate power reamer system. I love burl cork, but hate reaming it for obvious reasons. Man, I chucked the second size reamer in my cordless drill and proceeded to ream out two burl/wood veneer/rubberized cork split grip butt ends in no time flat. No fatigue on my part, an absolutely PERFECT fit, and ultra fast. It seems like alot of money for a relatively small tool - but I am so thrilled I can't stand it. This has got to be one of the best rodbuilding tools out there. I love building my own tools, most of my stuff is homemade, but I honestly don't think I could have come up with a better system for power reaming than this - it rocks.

Sorry for sounding like an infomercial - I just had to get it out there :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dream Reamer and Acid Rod - WOW!!!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:32PM

I agree 100% Batson's have a real winner there. I too had sticker shock when they first came out and bought just one. It didn't take me long to order the others!!! Great tool!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2007 11:37PM

Rich CAREFUL I too was a major league believer in the dream reamer but not anymore. After usin the small reamer on about four rods it came to the end of the line. While reaming burl cork the reamer just desintagrated or actually melted. I was reaming slow speed and the substrate on the reamer just gave way and nothing was left but the fiberglass fibers. When I contacted Batson they informed me it had happened to a number of reamers but only the small ones. Then they proceeded to tell me the dream reamer is not really intended to be used with power just by hand!! Thats right they say the small dream reamer should only be used by hand!! So the only way to get a new one was too ship the old one back to them ($3.75) with a $10 check. I just bought the darn (not the word i was thinking) thing. I do agree with you though acid rod is a crediable supplier.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:14PM

I have found the factory grit on the small dream reamer is too fine (I think it is 180 grit). I think it puts too much pressure on the tool and creates heat, as it rubs more than cuts. I stripped mind down and replaced it with 100 grit - what a difference! Overall, don't count these tools out, they are great!

Marc

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:39PM

Thanks Rich!

I'm not a fan of hand reaming either. I'll tell you guys what you might want to try to open up those pesky 1/4" bores in the pre-formed grips. I chuck a rat tail file up in my drill. You have to fiddle with it a little bit because the "shanks" on them are four sided, but you CAN get them centered in the chuck. I have one that's just under 1/4" at the tip and tapers up to about 5/16" in the first 2" of it's length. I'll either go from there to final fitting with a hand reamer, or if I have to open it up much more, I'll go to the next size file up before hand reaming.

Marc's right about the grit size. The 180 will create a lot more heat than 100 grit, which may be what's making the small reamer break down under power. Rotation direction and clearing the waste from the cut is a factor as well. The reamer needs to turn counter clockwise (looking at it from the rear) to clear the waste just like the flutes on a drill bit. Going clockwise, the waste will build up inside the grip creating heat. Enough heat will cause failure of the adhesive and possibly the reamer's body as well.

I honestly don't know if this is spelled out in the instructions or not. I'll take a look and suggest this to the Batson's if it's not there currently.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:57PM

good advice mark and this is NO reflection on you as I have had nothingbut great service. It's just that I was disappointed in the dream reamer. I spent a lot of money on it for me anyway being a small shop. To clarify it was the reamer itself that failed not the abrasive. And the factory guys told me its not made for power reaming which is why most of us would buy them i think! Billy

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 02:06PM

I like the rat tail files also. I cut the shank off to chuck it better. I run them, and all reamers, in reverse on my drill. Having said that, I still like the Dream Reamers but if I was Billy, I would be VERY upset that I had to pay shipping AND a replacement fee for an item that failed.

The Batson press release states that the Dream Reamers are suitable for power reaming with low RPM drills. If that is so, why would they now say that they are NOT intended to used with power but by hand. Hopefully, they will post some clarification concerning this.

Once again, I love these things and haven't had any problem (other than one small one, not related to this problem) and that was immediately taken care of by Karry Batson with no charge! Great service!) I do use them slowly, in reverse and backing up often to prevent overheating and consider them a very worthwile tool. I have also used them on wood and acrylics. Like any good toll, they have limits and you have to work within them.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: June 09, 2007 09:36PM

According to the instructions that came with my set on the front cover it says "Can be used with low RPM drills"
In the Cautions section it states "Be sure to keep loose clothing away from the reamer while using it with a portable drill" It also states "Make sure the reamer shaft is securely fastened to the handle assembly or drill chuck before starting the reaming process" One more place it states that they can be used in a drill "These reamers are designed to operate at low RPM only. Do not attempt to use them with a high speed drill. Operating at a high RPM will generate too much heat and shorten the life of the reamer and the abrasive paper"
So according to the instructions that come with the dream reamer set, they are made to work with a drill as long as it is low RPM and you are carefull.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Doug Schow (---.lagrande.k12.or.us)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:58PM

I have reamed dozens of 1/4 inch handles with the samll dream reamer chucked up in a cordless drill. And I must tell you most of this was done by middle school kids in my progam and they abuse the reamers. I have never had one fall apart yet. one thing I have done is put some extra rod bond on the tip of the reamer to secure the sand paper better.

these dream reamers are great I hope they come out with a couple more in different tappers!

Doug Schow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster