I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A couple of guide wrap questions.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 12:23PM

Rather than make several posts I’ll try to ask these in one thread. I’ve suspected for a long time I have too much thread tension on my wraps.

- what’s the minimum amount of wraps needed at the beginning of a wrap to secure the tag underneath? I know I do too many because of the “V” created where the tag goes under the wrap and I snug it up.

- how many turns are needed at the end of the wrap (I usually use the Forhan locking wrap on my sf)? I’m wanting to change to - snug the tag up to the edge, cut the tag and pull through leaving the tag end underneath the wrap. I can never get an exposed tag trimmed good enough to suit me, just wondering how many turns are needed to keep the end from unraveling?

- and for a finish question - I’ve really improved on my wrap finishes since adopting the “drop loaded brush onto wrap, rotate 180 degrees, and then wick the excess off the bottom” method. But on my small sf running guides, no matter how thin I apply my finish, it runs onto the eye stem and creates a little "bridge" behind it. I assume this happens with the guide pointed down while the finish levels on the top side. Would rotating the blank so the guides are only at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock during leveling instead of straight up and down eliminate this? Actually I don’t see it as a bad thing since it does reinforce the guide but it is adding a snitch more weight (and I don’t see the need for the locking wrap with it). Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A couple of guide wrap questions.
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:08PM

> time I have too much thread tension on my wraps.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as too much tension, although others will disagree. I haven't had to make a repair due to it, in my mind that qualifies the statement.

> - what’s the minimum amount of wraps needed at the
> beginning of a wrap to secure the tag underneath?
> I know I do too many because of the “V” created
> where the tag goes under the wrap and I snug it
> up.

5 is preferable, IMO.

> - how many turns are needed at the end of the wrap
> (I usually use the Forhan locking wrap on my sf)?
> I’m wanting to change to - snug the tag up to the
> edge, cut the tag and pull through leaving the tag
> end underneath the wrap. I can never get an
> exposed tag trimmed good enough to suit me, just
> wondering how many turns are needed to keep the
> end from unraveling?

5 once again, IMO. This would apply to standard wraps (single w/o Forhan, double footed). With the Forhan, it is pull through in place during the last pass in front of the guides, one behind, three locking, three blocking and pull.

> - and for a finish question - I’ve really improved
> on my wrap finishes since adopting the “drop
> loaded brush onto wrap, rotate 180 degrees, and
> then wick the excess off the bottom” method. But
> on my small sf running guides, no matter how thin
> I apply my finish, it runs onto the eye stem and
> creates a little "bridge" behind it. I assume this
> happens with the guide pointed down while the
> finish levels on the top side. Would rotating the
> blank so the guides are only at 3 o’clock and 9
> o’clock during leveling instead of straight up and
> down eliminate this? Actually I don’t see it as a
> bad thing since it does reinforce the guide but it
> is adding a snitch more weight (and I don’t see
> the need for the locking wrap with it). Thanks.

Yes, that would help ... but you aren't really going to be scolded for having a microgram of additional weight via epoxy. I will mention that you are NOT gaining any strength by having it there, contrary to your statement. Remember that thread is your strength, epoxy is just a protectant.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:13PM

Tim,

I use five wraps at both the start & end to secure the tags. The way I trim my tags is to pull the tag toward the end of the wrap, pulling just hard enough to create a gap lage enough to get a razor blade between the #5 & #6 threads. I then lay a SHARP razor blade in the gap I created (blade pinning the tag to the blank), then pull the tag up into the blade. Then I push the end of the wrap back toward the center using a burnishing tool to close the gap I created.

I use a lot of single foot fly guides and know exactly what you're talking about with the finish "bridging". I've gotten to where I don't put the rod in the dryer until that quits happening. I use a 1/8" (purple) disposable brush to wick the finish out from behind the ring until it stops building up there. 15 minutes is usually enough time for the excess to quit building up there.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:45PM

I am not being a smart allick but when the thread breaks you are using tooo much tension. The only place I worry about tension is near the tip of some ul freshwater graphite stuff other than that I really put the hammer down but that is just me.

As to the dimple you create when you whip the ends, with a little hard burnishing you can really reduce the appearance. Try pushing out on the dimple and in on either side of it. I am like Mark and use about 5 to 6 threads but sometimes a couple more if I am not paying attention or lose count.(that is if I am wearing shoes lol)

To reduce the bridging I usually blow it out with a tube and pen barrell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2007 01:46PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 01:50PM

As far as the tag ends go, the use of a quality cuticle clipper pretty much eliminates any problems. These run about $15 at a large drug store or Beauty supply store. They have a lifetime guarentee and most offer free lifetime sharpening. (I have used mine for over 3 years and haven't needed them sharpened) [www.rodbuilding.org] I got the tip from from Bill Stevens in Charlotte a few years ago and wouldn't use anything else. I think Bill has two pairs and rotates sending them in for sharpening

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 03:04PM

I am sure the Tweezerman sharpening shop in Chicago will certainly celebrate my demise! Initial cost $ 24.95 - Lifetime free sharpening!

Date: June 09, 2007 03:38PM

What are you cutting with these things Bill? I have had the same pair of flush cut wire cutters for 7years now and they cutt like butter. No fair snipping wire leaders. LOL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2007 03:40PM

Minimum to lock teh thread when you start...depends on blank diameter and the amount of tension you are using. I'm not recommending this, but you can lock a thread in at teh beginning or end of a wrap with 2 or 3 turns. To remove that Vee at the outer edge - if you only have 3 turns this will not work as teh thread might slip out - rotate teh blank fast (foot pedal rules) and press teh edge of something flat against teh end of the thread. IF the blank is straight and doesn't wobble as it turns, this will result in a perfectly straight edge 100% of the time. Same when you apply finish. Cutting the tag end, I just nip it off after teh 1st coat is hard, then apply the net coat of finish and I never have to worry about it again.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 12:19AM

I do like Doc and Mark. I wrap around my pull line about 6 or seven time. Next I put my tag into the pull line and holding the tag secure I pull the tag line threw 2 or three wraps. Next I look at the tag ansee where To cut it off so it well be coverd by 5 wraps . this way when I pull it threw I have no tag line fries coming threw. Next burnish the wrap. some times I take adamp brush and mosten the bump left by the tag and lighty burnish. tworda the middle. I never burnish back an forth.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 10, 2007 12:55AM

Great idea with the moistening Bob. That should really help.

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: June 10, 2007 08:33AM

To clean out the finish behind the eyes use a piece of thread, wrap it around both your hands like you were going to floss your teeth, then slide it behind the eye just like flossing. The excess finish will be soaked up by the thread. I use this method as the final touch after wicking off all exces finish.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 01:20PM

Thanks guys, I'm sure these ideas will help me do a better job.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 05:42PM

Sam that is a great suggestion
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2007 06:15PM

Thanks, Bob & Sam!!! Great tips

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.108.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 07:49PM

Great tips as usual with the above. For that web of finish on the foot, I use a probe or toothpick (something sharp and small) to pull it out and back over to the main finish when it stiffens up, similar to Sam's thread "flossing". How stiff? If you cook, think soft peaks on a merigue. If you don't cook, play with your excess finish. When you can stick a tool in it, pull it out, and a small sharp point pulls up and takes about 10 - 15 seconds to settle back down. If it is runnier than that, the web will just re-form. Or just babysit it as it dries and when you see webs, keep pulling them out.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 10, 2007 08:00PM

I also use a toothpick to clean out the finish behind the guides, works GREAT!

When using a thin slow setting finish, I usually clean behind the guides about 3 times during the thickening process. With fast setting finish's like Threadmaster, I usually only clean once.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster