I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt guide in grip question
Posted by: Phil Richmond (206.39.111.---)
Date: May 14, 2007 06:07AM

I see rods that have extra long foregrips on standup rods. The Butt guide is actually in the foam. How do you do this? Do you make your foregrip in two pieces, putting the first larger piece on, wrap the guide, then put a smaller piece on to make it one grip? Or do you put it on from the butt of the rod?

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt guide in grip question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2007 09:16AM

I haven't seen such a thing but will admit that I don't have time to keep up with all the new products out there. You could easily sandwich a guide between two grip pieces, cut and formed to accommodate the guide in the middle. I don't know what advantages this offers and having a grip that is too long may not be the best thing for the rod, but since I haven't actually seen one I shouldn't comment on that sort of thing for the time being. For all I know it might be the best thing since the free spool was invented.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 11:21AM

Phil can you post any pictures and or can you get close enough to see any seams in the grips? If you can post pics it would be nice to see what your talking about.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 06:41PM

I hope that this link works but I believe that he is referring to a set up like used in the Braid products power play rods.
[braidproducts.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 07:30PM

Bet it catches a lot of Fisherman!

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.cnrfe.navy.mil)
Date: May 14, 2007 08:23PM

Yes, those are the types of grips. Not to give anyone free advertising or say it's any good, but I've seen them on Toadtamer rods [www.toadtamer.com] and some custom rods, but never knew how they were done. I don't know how practical it is, but I guess it would definitely keep your line from touching your grip. Plus it looks cool.

Phil

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 08:52PM

I have seen these types of grip on very heavy offshore rods used mostly on the west coast long range boats. I have also seen some try to duplicate these grips by making into two pieces but they typically do not make a good fit and the seams are quite obvious and amateur-like. I would surmise that these foregrips are installed with the first guide wrapped onto a blank without the reelseat and butt grip. The foregrip has to be installed from the butt end as well as the reel seat and butt grip in that order. This procedure can be best accomplished by taping on another blank, butt to butt and pushing the grip through until it rests where you want it. This is my guess only and I have never tried it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster