I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best power wrapper features?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 01:39PM

I currently have a Pac Bay power wrapper, and have been very happy with it.
I was wondering if any of the other models are quicker to adjust for different rods?
Looks like the Flex Coat model uses v-type supports on a keyed base that would be really quick to adjust.

Are there any other models or features that are helpful?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best power wrapper features?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 02:08PM

In 1979 I bought a Flex Coat DL713 wrapper. At that time the model came with an 8 foot board. It sold for $135. I walked into a sporting goods store and I saw a fellow wrapping a rod with one. It turned out it was Roger Seiders the owner of Flex Coat. He did a sales job on me and I walked out of that store with one. I was doing rod repairs at the time and I paid for it within a week. Roger invited me to his house and we had a long conversation on making rods. I picked up some tips from him, got a business license and went to selling rods. I still have that wrapper; I have replaced the motor once since then. Although retired, I still build a couple of rods a month and have not seen the need to replace the wrapper. I have added another thread tension device, epoxied some short pieces of dowel rods to the V uprights to which I wrap pieces of velcro strips over the rod blanks to keep them from jumping while I am power wrapping. I see no reason to change. A friend of mine suggested that I stick with this tool and same my money for other items.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: May 09, 2007 11:04PM

We have a Pac Bay wrapper that we upgraded to the "Super Chuck". It has a couple of "quirks" that I'm sure you're familiar with:

1) The chuck works loose from the handle or whatever you have in it after a bit. It's been explained to me that the reason is because the chuck opens in the same direction as it spins. I've heard a number of fixes for it but the simples and cheapest it to simply wrap the jaws with a piece of masking or blue tape, nice and tight. This keeps them closed. The same thing is true of their drying motor, or you can replace the jaws with one of the "soft cup" style chucks.

2) The thread carriage (either design) won't move smoothly unless the rail area is really, really clean. We use denatured alcohol to wipe the channel down about once a week. We also oiled the little wheels on the bottom of the carriage. But when it works right it's really slick, expecially for doing underwraps). BTW, the tension device on the older carriage was said to fuzz up the threads but I never noticed it (I guess we didn't use that much pressure) and it's exactly the same tension device as was on the old Clemens manual wrapper I had for over thirt years) (and still have).

OK, enough of that. This wrapper hasa been our primary lathe for the past two years and it has several features I particularly like:

A) The foot control is really smooth, and coupled with the speed control on the motor, is really easy to adjust for the exact speed you want.

B) The drying feature is excellent. Some would tell you that the rotation is slow, but it's generally just right for my purposes. BTW, you can adjust the winding speed to be constant by "clamping" the foot control and leaving it on for as long as you need, thus providing a fater drying speed if you think you need it.

C) The supports are easy to move, and easy to adjust to get the rod level. I'd recommend buying an extra support unit to provide a stiffer support system for rods 7' or so. They do provide a smooth rotation at almost any speed and adjusted properly, they protect the tip at high speeds. ANd the thing can be made to go in either direction. Some other units don't have either the drying feature or the reversing feature.

What else would I like to see? Well, I'd like to see Pac Bay fix the chuck problem, and I'd like to see really big wheels on the rod supports. But that would be about it. I'd like to have some sort of "stuff" catcher (cork shavings, for example) or a shavings ttrap that I could hook a vacuum to but that's really something i should do myself and I don't think any other units have it either.

BTW, Pac Bay support for this unit is just great! They helped us with a bad batch of rubber bands, a free upgrade for the carriage, and a lot of questions. To Bonnie and the crew - many, many thanks!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: May 09, 2007 11:04PM

We have a Pac Bay wrapper that we upgraded to the "Super Chuck". It has a couple of "quirks" that I'm sure you're familiar with:

1) The chuck works loose from the handle or whatever you have in it after a bit. It's been explained to me that the reason is because the chuck opens in the same direction as it spins. I've heard a number of fixes for it but the simples and cheapest it to simply wrap the jaws with a piece of masking or blue tape, nice and tight. This keeps them closed. The same thing is true of their drying motor, or you can replace the jaws with one of the "soft cup" style chucks.

2) The thread carriage (either design) won't move smoothly unless the rail area is really, really clean. We use denatured alcohol to wipe the channel down about once a week. We also oiled the little wheels on the bottom of the carriage. But when it works right it's really slick, expecially for doing underwraps). BTW, the tension device on the older carriage was said to fuzz up the threads but I never noticed it (I guess we didn't use that much pressure) and it's exactly the same tension device as was on the old Clemens manual wrapper I had for over thirt years) (and still have).

OK, enough of that. This wrapper hasa been our primary lathe for the past two years and it has several features I particularly like:

A) The foot control is really smooth, and coupled with the speed control on the motor, is really easy to adjust for the exact speed you want.

B) The drying feature is excellent. Some would tell you that the rotation is slow, but it's generally just right for my purposes. BTW, you can adjust the winding speed to be constant by "clamping" the foot control and leaving it on for as long as you need, thus providing a fater drying speed if you think you need it.

C) The supports are easy to move, and easy to adjust to get the rod level. I'd recommend buying an extra support unit to provide a stiffer support system for rods 7' or so. They do provide a smooth rotation at almost any speed and adjusted properly, they protect the tip at high speeds. ANd the thing can be made to go in either direction. Some other units don't have either the drying feature or the reversing feature.

What else would I like to see? Well, I'd like to see Pac Bay fix the chuck problem, and I'd like to see really big wheels on the rod supports. But that would be about it. I'd like to have some sort of "stuff" catcher (cork shavings, for example) or a shavings ttrap that I could hook a vacuum to but that's really something i should do myself and I don't think any other units have it either.

BTW, Pac Bay support for this unit is just great! They helped us with a bad batch of rubber bands, a free upgrade for the carriage, and a lot of questions. To Bonnie and the crew - many, many thanks!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 07:12AM

Flexcoat DL747call the number below and I will tell you why and the price . My opinion it is the most user friendly wrapper on the market .

Robert

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2007 09:54AM

Thread entry:

The Pac Bay wrapper is pretty quick for changing support locations. Some of the older supports are spring loaded, and some are the "drop down" style. I prefer the spring loaded for quick movement, but they don't hold the rod as well if you are doing long underwraps or any turning.

Thread carraige features:
Needs to accommodate large spools and at least 4 colors. The standard thread carraige is a little weak in this area. Smooth sliding on the base is important. Shouldn't get stuck or jump at the base section connections.

Chuck has been mentioned, but I have little trouble with mine. I always hold the jaws closed with one hand and tighten with the other. I've never had one come loose since I started this.

Reverse feature on the foot pedal.
The entry level power wrappers don't have this. It would be nice if you could do this, especially when you are out on the tip, 10' away from the motor.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster