I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which exposed blank reelseat - Fuji or Batson?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 02:17PM

I want to put an exposed blank reelseat on my casting rod project. I was at Cabela's this morning and handled a rod with the Fuji seat. There isn't much of the blank exposed at the underside and wondered how does the Fuji compare to the Batson exposed blank reelseat? Batson has a picture of one in their catalog but most of it is covered up by a finger. Just wondering which one you guys prefer? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which exposed blank reelseat - Fuji or Batson?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 09, 2007 02:23PM

Order both and decide yourself. They're only like $5 each.

Date: April 09, 2007 02:33PM

Normally I would but I will get the Fuji from Binghams since they have the best prices on Fuji SIC titanium guides (only need 3 more), and to order the Batson seat from fishsticks4u I would probably pay more in shipping than what the reelseat costs.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 02:40PM

I use Fuji for all my reel seats. Built a Loomis IMX and a St. Croix SC3 using the Fuij exposed seats and there is more than enough blank on the underside. I did however use a Pac Bay on my 1st rod I built and there isn't enough blank exposed but it still is a fantstic rod and I did hook a nice 3 lb largie on it yesterday. Steve

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 09, 2007 02:58PM

I'd say the Batson's are very close to the Fuji's in terms of amount of exposed blank. If you want more, you could always take a dremel to the reelseat and carve away. But, not sure what you'd really gain - if you can get one finger or 3 fingers on the blank, it's not going to make any difference in how much you feel.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: April 09, 2007 03:30PM

The amount of blank showing on an exposed reel seat will be dependant on the size of your blank. The outside shape stays the same within a reel seat series, but they have many different inside diameters to fit different size blanks. A 14mm ID seat would show more blank than a 9mmID seat.

CUI makes a seat with almost the entire bottom cut away, but I have never seen one in person.

Posted by: Kyle Olsen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 04:21PM

As far as exposed blank seats go, I like the look of the CUI with the large cut-out, especially because I use round baitcasters and sometimes palm the whole reel(I have big hands!).

I own factory rods(Lamiglas) with both the Fuji and Batson seats on them. Both are high quality, but I prefer the Fuji.

In reality, i've never really noticed any real differences in sensitivity between the exposed blank and standard seats. Most of my effort is on salmon and steelhead and I do know that graphite seats can get really, really cold in December, so my next project is going to have a Schaeffer setup with a cork insert on it.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2007 04:28PM

Rich Forhan taught a seminar in High Point concerning "customizing" rod components to fit what you're looking for. It covered this very subject. You may want to try to contact him and get his advice. Just a suggestion.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 05:29PM

I have used both and think the Batson is built a little tighter, they seem to have a better fit and finish than the Fuji. With that said I prefer the Fuji when I build a rod with out a forend. The Fuji doesn't have the extra supports inside the front ferrel and make it easier for me to use my own insert to center the grip and finish the end of it. They both have a place and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 06:59PM

The American Tackle exposed blank comfort seats are pretty nice as well. I haven't tried the Batson seats but like the AT better than Fuji. Randy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 07:01PM

That is why these are custom rods, If you don;t think there is enought blank exposed, make the hole larger ????

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 08:23PM

Rich H. I think you are incorrect on how much more you can feel. I feel a lot better each time one of the "sensitive bassers with their sanded fingers" adds on $ 25 for the upgrade! Seat is whacked up big time, 5/8 inch threads removed for perfect fit up with reel made up tight and a hole in the trigger for the hook keeper. If Kistler can sell subatomic gasses from the moon I can sell Whackit! This all came from Rich Forhan's bag of tricks. For the bass fishermen that can fish without changing hands from cast to hook set/retrieve this is really the way to go. It is fairly uncomfortable for the ones that change hands. Different yes / functional yes / for everyone no!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Date: April 09, 2007 09:30PM

Bill, you are just too funny.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 10, 2007 08:33AM

Bill - gasses from the moon? No wonder those Kistlers are priced out of this world! (sorry).

I like that reelseat job - I was rethinking my original statement, and I can see benefits aside from having more than one finger on the blank. So, for the first (yeah right) time in my life, I'll take back my original statement :-)

BTW - you should be on the road doing stand-up instead of building fishing rods :-)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2007 03:05PM

My point exactly Bill!!! Good word!!! BTW, did you get my email?

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster