I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is this guide still made?
Posted by: Don Hansen (---.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 10:04AM

Hi everyone,
This is my first posting. Been looking around this site for a couple of weeks now. Amazed at the amount of information I've been able to pick up.

Have a couple of questions. Years ago I built a few rods using guides that looked very much like the Recoil casting guides except that they had one long leg that placed a foot out further from the eye of the guide. Think those guides were made of chromed brass. Are they still available? Have to do a little bragging here. My wife's biggest Northern. A 24 pounder caught on walleye rod I made for her from a Fenglass blank using those guides.

My second question. Read the FAQs piece about ' Are the high modulus graphite rods brittle'. When talking about graphite rods am I to understand that an IM6 rod would be the best compromise between performance and durability.

Don Hansen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this guide still made?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 10:28AM

Yes, those guides are still made. Pac Bay has some that they call Twister Guides. I believe the older ones are called Non-Fouling guides and I have seen them on another web site, just can't remember where. I guess it would depend who made the IM6 blanks and how they were constructed. I have a couple of IM6 rods that I made 20 years ago or so from GLoomis blanks. I have fished them hard and they are still as good as new. When I sold rods I had to replace several broken IM6 rods that I made using another company's blanks. I never had to replace a GLoomis rod. I also used IM6 blanks from Anglers Workshop that were just as good as the GLoomis and never had to replace one of them either.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 09, 2007 11:10AM

Merrick tackle carries the "foul-proof" guides also.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: April 09, 2007 12:23PM

We still have some of the original Made in USA "Foulproof: guides in stock, here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

We can also special order from Merrick or Pac Bay, since we are dealers for both.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Don Hansen (---.dsl.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2007 01:42PM

From the picture of the non-fouling spinning guides by Perfection on the Merrick site I would have to say those are the ones. Ron, the ones you have in stock appear to set too close to the rod. Although I started this search with the idea of building a new rod, while I was comparing the guides on my wifes rod to the pictures on the Merrick website, I noticed a number of the guides were grooved. Looks like a rebuild is in order.

I've a couple of graphite UL spinning rods I built just to see what graphite was like and I do have to admit they are very sensitive but I'm still not convinced that they are the best when fishing for Northern. I found a place called "Rick's Rods" and he has some of the old Fenwick glass blanks. Think I will email him my specs and see if he a blank that work before I decide what material to use.

Don Hansen

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2007 03:38PM

How durable a rod blank is has more to do with than just the material. The design of the blank plays a major role in this. There are IM6 blanks that are quite fragile, and much higher modulus blanks that are pretty robust, so you can't go by material alone.

Generally, however, you'd want to stay away from the very highest modulus blanks if you're a bit tougher blank. They tend to couple with designs that offer a higher stiffness to weight ratio and therefore have to be handled with a bit more care.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster