I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread and grip rpms?
Posted by: Scott Kirk (69.182.21.---)
Date: February 05, 2007 07:16PM

Hi All,

I am new to rod building in a sence of building complete rods. Over the years I have fixed quite a few rods and have throughly enjoyed the experiences and would like to persue building complete rods. I was wondering at what rpms does one wrap a rod and what rpm can one turn a handle? I would like to build a power rod wrapper as I have access to a machine shop. I was considering a combination wrapper - lathe, versitile enough to wrap rods yet robust enought to turn handles. I am trying to determine the type of motor that is needed to handle both operations. I have looked at many of the universal AC/DC motors in the 3000 to 8000 rpm range. and then calculated the pulley rpms and torque. It seem that with a AC/DC motor I will not get torque that I would need to turn handles. I am starting to look at the 24VDC motors that have the speed and the torque. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread and grip rpms?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 07:26PM

You will get a lot of opinions, but you might want to consider a separate lathe/area for turning. Some will differ but I would never turn in the same area that I wrap simply because my wrapping area is FULL of thread, components and who knows what else and when I turn (separate area) It ends up looking like a sand storm went through. On a side note, once you start turning cork grips, it only a matter of time before the wood and acrylic bug bites you!! If I had to choose, I would opt for a wood midi lathe and wrap by hand. I have a wood lathe and powere wrapper, but the power wrapper has never been used for wrapping, I use it for refurbishing cork/EVA grips on repairs.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Kirk (69.182.21.---)
Date: February 05, 2007 07:45PM

Mike,
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortuately I would have gone that route if my garage did not have British cars in it. Running a lathe with all that dust would surely coat the cars. I am limited to space in my fishing tackle room....umm..... u gave me a great idea, maybe I can convince my wife to move her stained glass equipment to the garage........ just a little colder......lol. You have a good point about the wood and acrylic, I may have to create some more space somewhere.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2007 09:34PM

If you are doing the whole thing in your Garage put your lathe on a platform with wheels so you can move it outside when you want to turn grips or whatever, weather permitting.

You might want to take a look at the motors that are used by the Renzetti to get an idea of what is required. Actually a little more horsepower than the 1/10 HP motor would be better if you really want to do grips and don't want to go for a separate lathe for turning them.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 06, 2007 11:04AM

I've done exactly that. I got the small hobby lathe setup from Grizzley and simply mounted the bed on a saw horse. Since this outfit only weighs a few pounds I simply pick up the saw horse and take it outside to do my cork work. The wind blows any cork dust away. This is perfect for me as I detest cleaning up! By doing this outside there is no clean up required.

Jay

Posted by: Scott Kirk (69.182.167.---)
Date: February 07, 2007 10:50PM

I want to thank everyone for their time and insight. I think I will purchase a small lathe. The point of all the dust and and mess that will occur in the wrapping area will create addition work for me and leave less time to have fun. So it's off to find a lathe.
I have spent the past three months reading many of the posts in this forum and find it a pleasure to have so much information at my finger tips. I hope, in time as I become more proficient in rod building I can help others as they have helped me.

Many thanks,
Scott

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:35AM

Scott,
I agree with the others on keeping the cork work and thread wrapping seprate.
I keep the "clean" glue and wrapping in my lower level work shop.
However, I do all of the "dirty" work - sanding and turning in the garage. When, I finish, I vacuum up the dust, and then use the air compressor to blow all of the dust out the door.

I tried doing the turning once in the lower level work shop. Never again - dust everywhere.

TAke care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster