I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Label
Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:19PM

I've been using Decal Connection (great BTW) for the decals I've used but I'm planing on using the peel/stick labels that came with a couple of Rainshadow blanks that I'm building out. Anything special in applying them? Does Microsol and Microset work with these (peel and stick) or should I just lay down an undercoat of finish, apply the label, and then coat with finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Label
Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:24PM

Hi Steve,
I've never used these decals but I have seen them applied directly to the blank and then finish over them and they look fine. If in doubt, contact Batson directly. They have a great customer service department and can help with any questions. As you probably konw, they are all custom rod builders themselves so they can offer first hand experience. See lin at left Rainshadow/ Forcast. Have a great day!

andrew

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:30PM

I've read here that you should put a coat of finish on a matte blank, but shouldn't need it on a glossy blank. Several people said you can put a coat of CP on the sticker before epoxy and CP for sure if you are using Permagloss. I think I am going to put CP on to help stick the edges on mine.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 07:13PM

Micro Set works great when applying any kind of decal whether it's a waterslide or a peel and stick. After applying a coat of finish and letting it dry overnight apply some Micro Set to the spot where you're decal will go then peel the backing off of your decal and place it down on the blank. The Micro Set will allow you to move your decal around until you have it placed where you want it. I use a paper towel to blot out the excess Micro Set then let it dry for a couple of hours then apply another coat or two of finish over your decal.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:19PM

Chuck,
Applying CP on top is a good tip.
I could understand the need to using CP before applying PermaGloss. I think it eats through the inks. It ate through and desolved an inscription that I had worked hard on last week.
Never experienced that problem with Flex-Coat or Chrystal Sheen finishes. Do you know if a specific brand of CP is better at this than another? I typically use the Flex-Coat CP.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:45PM

For anyone who has used flexcoat CP over their peel and stick, how long do you let dry before applying finish? I did one with the flexcoat CP and let it dry for about two hours before applying finish. When all was said and done and the finish was cured, you could see a very light cloud around the decal where I applied the CP. The cloud is only slightly noticeable in the sunlight. Did I possibly not give the CP enough time to cure?

TJ

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: January 31, 2007 05:17AM

Tim,

I use Flexcoat CP over all my decals all the time and never experienced any clouding. Just did one within half an hour after applying CP. I normall use a clean 5/8" soft bristle brush, and swipe once from left to right to cover the complete length of the decal. I also make sure that the brush I use is broader than the label width and begin the swipe 1/4" before the label and extend it over another 1/4". Once this is done, I wash the brush, dry it with a tissue, and use it to clean the edges surrounding the label. In 30 seconds, you should not see any clouding. If you do, you should thin the area as it has too much CP. Where I live, CP dries in 10 minutes as our average temperature is 32 degrees celcius.

Anthony LOee.

Posted by: alexander morales (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2007 08:51AM

Hello again everyone heres some decal 101 micro-sol and micro-set were designed for water slide decals in the plastic model industry and have been useing it for years on plastic models and its a great product when used correctly.micro-sol is used first to soften the decal and help it conform to the irregular surface on the model, the micro-set sets the decal on the surface no blotting required remember the surface under the decal must be smooth and glossy in order to avoid whats known as silvering. which is light reflecting through the clear edges of the decal proper surface prep is essential for decal fit and finnish. remember smooth and glossy surface promotes a superior finished product while a mat or semi gloss surface will promote decal silvering and you will have to start all over. just my two cents worth.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 08:34PM

Tim,

I've applied finish almost immediately after applying the decal, and never experienced any problems. The only problem I have run into is if I don't use a seal coat, or I spend too much time leveling out the finish over the decal.
Both situations can cause the inks on the decal to run or smear.

Posted by: Paul Gerdtz (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2007 03:05AM

Ive just finished 2 rods and applied peel and stick decals i had made up from the local sticker maker and applied TM straight over the top with great results
Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster