I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trim bands
Posted by: Pat Firriolo (---.AlwaysONLINE.net.au)
Date: January 30, 2007 05:49PM

Is there an easy way to do multiple trim bands or is it just time consuming no matter what? I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly or if I'm doing it in the right sequence.

Have a look at the pic

Do I just wrap from left to right? Or should I do the centre block first? If so, with the centre do I go left - right, or start with the very centre blue band? Also looking at the ones I have done, which should continue on under the next band without being cut, and which should be pulled back under itself?

I am fairly new to this so I always say to myself that I will do simple wraps such as all black unders-overs with a silver or gold band at each end. But then I get the notion that these would look like those on shelf rods rather than customs (any coments on that thought?). So I end up going overboard with multiple trim bands.

Thanks for any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 10:28PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim bands
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 06:03PM

Pat,

If you unhide your e-mail, I can send you some info mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 06:04PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 07:24PM

Mike, why do you just send to the person that asks instead of the whole board. I am not trying to be a smartarse or anything, but I see you reply like this often. I know you go out of your way to help people and I commend you on that, but am just curious.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 30, 2007 07:31PM

Most of the people on this board have hidden e-mails and that is the only way to get there attention smartarse

Date: January 30, 2007 08:02PM

In my drunken stupor, I was trying to say, post it to the whole board rather than just an e-mail to one person. Scott, I'm a dumbarse not a smartarse.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:09PM

Pat,
I don't think there is a specific proper sequence, but it does take some getting use to to feel comfortable with the process. If they are nicely-packed, even, and stay together when you pull the tags under, you did it right. I think the key to doing good, consistent trim bands is to find a method you feel comfortable with, and stick to it.

I learned how to do trim bands by reading through L. A. Garcia's book on building fly rods. I begin my trim band, trim the tag after 1, 2, or 3 full passes, begin turning my main wrap; cutting the supply end after 3 turns to ensure the trim band is well-secured. I have wrapped in both directions, so I don't believe there is much of a difference. I think you'll find those situations where you'll have no choice. You'll have to wrap in both directions.

I've also posted a couple of links below that do provide different methods. I like the trim bands you applied. The only thing I noticed is that your black bands are not the same width. I like how you used the silver to define the black and show contrast. Silver & black always look great on a rod.

I typically don't go "wild". Being a little on the conservative side, I "understate" the trim work on my rods, although I do plan to expand my wings a little bit using some St Croix factory seconds over the next few months.

[www.merricktackle.com]
[shop.mudhole.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 08:23PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:10PM

Pat, that looks nice. And yes they're time consuming. I do the inside detailed block, then work to the outside. I try to keep the center block as simple as possible and use a three turn band as a minimum band for pulling a tag end through and having it hold.

"Plain Jane" wraps with a little gold? or spend a little more time and dress up a wrap with trim?....its all up to the builder or end user. Which do you prefer?

Date: January 30, 2007 08:21PM

Jason, There are 1,000's of registered users on this board and I would have no idea how many would even want the tutorials that I have accumulated. Most are several pages (or more) long with photo's. Beside pushing everything else off of the first few pages, Tom has often asked posters to NOT post photo's here on the forum but use the Photo Page. I figure that anyone that wants them can simply e-mail me for them. You're right, I love to help people, but if they can't make the effort to take that first step to e-mail me and ask.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:31PM

The PDF turorial on trimbands that I created is posted on Mudhole's "Rodbuilding 101" page
for everyone to download it.

[shop.mudhole.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 30, 2007 08:41PM

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. I wasn't making a joke with my question, just sometimes I see a question asked and I look to see an answer but you e-mail them to people. If I ever see a question that you chimed in on and would like to see the answer I will ask you to send me an e-mail also. I surely hope I didn't look like I was trying to be a jerk, I have seen that you go out of your way to help and thats what makes this forum great.

Date: January 30, 2007 09:37PM

Jason,

I fully answer any question that I can on the board but if someone is looking for info that I happen to have an actual tutorial on (I collect info and have collected a few turorials), I will automatically send it to them if their address is available.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 10:12PM

Mike I have been wrapping rods since 72 and i learn something every time i visit this board. Now that im retired i have time to read so i will take all the tutorials you can send.

Thanks
Paul
soonercustrod@sbcglobal.net
And Pat you came to the right spot

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 10:13PM by Paul Lindsey.

Date: January 30, 2007 10:51PM

Retirements great, isn't it? Check your mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Pat Firriolo (---.AlwaysONLINE.net.au)
Date: January 31, 2007 01:36AM

Tom
I assume that due to you deleting my link that we are not allowed to post pics from an image hosting site. Mike emailed me instructions on how to upload pics to RBO. I thought the members gallery was reserved for completed works, not for picture hosting for general purpose questions. Anyway the pic is there now, so now what? Can I provide a link to it or insert it straight into the post? Great book by the way.

Patrick
That all makes sense so thanks. The black bands have the same amount of turns on each, I must have packed one too loose or too tight (or both?). I am going to try some different things tonight. The blue looked ok last night but this morning in the day light it looked a little bright. Going to try a darker shade and some other slight changes.

Michael
Thanks for that. I thought about doing it that way. I'm going to give it a go tonight. And yeah I suppose you're right spend a little more time spent now would be more satisfying in the long run.

Mike
Thanks for the emails. Very informative.

By the way the brown looking colour is actually charcoal. When you guys take photos of your wraps, do you reset the white balance on your digital cameras each time? I am having trouble with the colours of my threads not being true in photos.

Date: January 31, 2007 02:58AM

Pat,

If you want to insert a link to a pic on the Photo Page or another thread on the forum, simply go to the pic or thread that you want to link to and copy the URL (address in your browser) and past it into your post.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 31, 2007 03:47AM

Hey Mike,
Any chance of sending me a copy of your trim wrap turorial please? I'm retired too and have the time to learn new things. I'd like to compare how you wrap them to the way I wrap them because your way just might be better then my way.
Thanks!

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Olaf Karsten (---.versanet.de)
Date: January 31, 2007 11:11AM

Hello Mike,

i'm not retired, but will take me the time to read all what you can send to me.

thanks

Olaf

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: January 31, 2007 02:28PM

One of the best tips I ever learned about rod building was using automotive pin striping tape for trim bands. Jesse

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2007 02:35PM

Jesse the 3M tape gave me must not be for use on fishing rods - it is too simple and easy to use! I would love to see the NASCAR paint guys try to use metallic thread!

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 31, 2007 04:02PM

Mike are you sending my tutorial?? If not please send what you are sending to me.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster