I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Choice
Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:16PM

I'm a new builder mostly just for myself, I'm looking for a sensitive blank for bass fishing 7' MH. I want to try and keep cost down so GLX is out of the question, maybe IMX, so if someone can recommend a sponsor and or a sensitive blank I would appreciate it. Thank you. Great Phorum. Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Choice
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:35PM

Hi Steve! We need more info on the type rod you'll be building. How far down do you want to keep the cost? Take a look at the Rainshadow blanks from Batson. Great value!

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 04:37PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 04:43PM

Steve,
Are you in Cali and if so where? If you close I'd be glad to show you some G. Loomis rods I've done to help you decide. Randy.

Date: January 19, 2007 04:49PM

I live in Fairfield, Northern part of Ca. So Chuck the RX7 AND RX8 BlankS are pretty sensitive?

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 05:48PM

Steve - I have used the RX7 in a spinning rod the 822.5 and it has an extra fast action. It's very good as a drop shot rod. I don't know what you are using (spinning, baitcasting) but Batson has a very nice line of blanks in the RX7. If you want to step up in price you may want to look at St. Croix the Avid series. They have a very great action and the price isn't to bad. It's hard to find a bad blank any more so you need to figure out what type of action you need and you should have no problems.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 06:43PM

I haven't tried the RX8 bass blanks yet but if you do a search here you will get good info on them. I think TK has said here that if you stick with the main players it is hard to buy a bad blank now days.

I just finished test casting (in the snow) a CB66M built as a spinning rod. It is "an amazing stick" and I already have another one in the shop to build. Karry Batson recommended it to me when I was looking to replace a sentimental Fenwick that I broke. I want to build the 7' MH as a baitcaster.

The ISB782 is a nice blank as well. (I fish a lot of plastics for bass so I use mostly spinning rods) As Mark said the Avid series (SCIII) are also great blanks for a bit more money.

I have done many searches here on bass blanks and I'll shoot you an email with that data.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 06:52PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:41PM

IMO, the best bang for the buck is the St. Croix SCIII series (i.e. Avid). They're great rods, and you can get some very technique-specific blanks, as both the casting and spinning series include numerous blank options. I'm especially fond of the SCIIIs with the XF tips, and also the crankbait blanks (usually listed as moderate action).

For a 7' MH blank, it would be hard to beat the 3C70MHXF. But without any more specific information about what you'll actually be doing with the rod, it's hard to say for sure which blank you should choose.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 20, 2007 03:05AM

First off I will say that I am sort of a St Croix freak in ways... I LOVE THEIR STUFF! Might just be on account of being raised in WI. But I will also tell you that I have built MANY Rainshadows and have been VERY impressed with the quality, sensitivity, and the people who I delt with to get them. I have not ponied up the money for an RX8 as of yet but I am sure that I will get to it sooner or later..

With that being said, we need a little more information as to what exactly you are looking to accomplish with this rod so we can more accurately point you in a better direction. I can tell you that I have both a 7 foot Avid and Rainshadow in the rod room right now and am very happy with both.. I will also tell you that so far my favorite 7' MH has been the LE that I build a bit ago.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Date: January 20, 2007 09:46AM

Well I should have made myself more clear on the blank part my fault sorry, I mainly use a baitcaster for worms and jigs for bass around standing timber and big chunk rocks, 7'' power worms and 1/4 to 1 oz jigs I make myself. I am in the process of building a St Croix 7' SC2 MH but don't know till it's done what or how sensitive the rod is going to be. I have a 7' MH Daiwa Procaster IM7 Baitcasting rod and I have to tell you this rod can detect the slightest pick up or nibble and feel everything down on the bottom. The reason I want to find a blank that is sensitive as the Daiwa is that 6 months ago my bass boat was broken into and all of my rods and reels were stolen, so I figured I'd just start building my own, a try and recover from my loss. Thanks for all the info you guys have I appreciate it. Steve Bolton

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 20, 2007 10:28AM

Steve,
The blanks graphite isn't near as important as the way it was designed and you build on it, I have an old walleye spinning rod I built on what is now the blank line you chose and you can feel everything that going on around that rod with only an 1/8 oz Gitzit on it, including fish with a case of gas that swim by. Be picky about the important stuff (proper grip length, balance, etc.) keep the weight down as much as you can by using the lightest, smallest, least guides & wraps, you'll do fine. Tape everything up, get on a chair or something that puts you at a distance similar to what you fish from on the water , put on your reel and jig and mess around with everything till you get it like you want it. I think I messed around with my first rod for two days including testing it on the water before I put it together. Word of advise if you're on the water, cut the hook point off before you go play or you'll find just how strong a masking tape guide wrap really is. They hold up pretty well.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 21, 2007 03:31AM

Ok Steve,
First off let me say that Spencer hit the nail on the head by giving you the advice of putting it together correctly ie.... smallest guides and wraps and balance and such.. I have seen and had the displeasure of fishing with improperly built rods. They were built on high end blanks (SHX,SCV and IMX) and fished VERY POORLY. The balance was horrible, handles were not done well at all and wraps although nice looking were far too large.With that being said, as was previously mentioned I think that you would be fine with either the Avid (SCIII) or the RX-7.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster