I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Movie clip of epoxy finish application?
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 06:38PM

There is so much discussion on how to apply epoxy finish, could someone possibly film and post the process via an mpeg? maybe this has been done already, but if not it seems it would help a lot of people. Seeing it done using a couple of techniques, e.g. brush and spatula, would help many who struggle with this. For that matter why not have short clips of other techniques as well. How to start your thread wrap, doing a simple tag wrap, locating the spine, and guide foot preparation all come to mind. Just a thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Movie clip of epoxy finish application?
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 06:45PM

Simple Answer: Buy Ken Preston's Rod Building DVD. Covers all of the above. Should be able to get it from any of the sponsors. Visit his web site, he may have video clips posted. [kensfishingrods.com] Mudhole did have a clip of him applying epoxy with a brush, in their RodBuilding 101 section.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 06:48PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 19, 2007 06:52PM

As far as starting wraps I recently did a tutorial on that and trim bands. Send me an e-mail at Pikapp122@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you on Monday.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:27PM

The new Rod Builders International organization will soon have tutorials and classes in these subjects and dozens of others.

Until then, don't make too much out of applying epoxy. The epoxy knows what to do - just put it on and let it work. Most epoxy finish troubles arise when folks do too much with it.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: January 19, 2007 07:35PM

i think mudhole's rodbuilding 101 has artie's video on applying finishes..

also, Doc Ski's DVD on rod building covers it.. (great video by the way!)

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Anthony Pantuso (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2007 09:31PM

Why don't people just take short videos and upload them to youtube.com. When new techniques are posted on youtube just drop us a link on this message board and we all can go and watch the clips.

Video's can be posted of decorative wraps too.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 09:44PM

There are numerous video's and books available as well as Rodmaker magazine which has had indepth articles on just about every subject you can think of. There are also many tutorials created by people here with pictures. Sharing is one thing, but expecting people to make free video's available when the people that pay to keep this site offer them for sale is kind of a reach!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Darin Travis (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:56AM

I agree with Mike, That is how I learned most of what I know. By purchasing Tom' s and Dale Clemen's books, Putter's videos, Rodmaker magazine, and the wealth of information found here. Most question I have had about rod building has been asked and answered numerous times and can be found by searching this forum. Saves me from posting too many questions and waiting for answers. As for the epoxies, I went through three different brands before finding the one that seems to work best for me.

Darin Travis

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 08:14PM

John G.
Your email address is "hidden" so I can't email you. If you would email me I could arrainge to send you
the only 2 rodbuilding video files I know to exist other than what can be found on the Mudhole Rod Building
101 page.

These 2 video files are too large to send via email but I do know a way to get them to you so email me. OK??

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 08:21PM

You know, I would bet that just about every rod builder, at one time or another, wishes that he or she had access to a video to view and replay how someone applies finish "correctly". I know I did. While I remember thinking about that when I first started, I don't worry about it so much now since I've done it enough times to figure out how I like to do it.

My point is that while it might be helpful to the uninitiated, or to someone who is attempting to build their first rod without an experienced builder on hand to guide them through the process, every builder probably does it differently than the next builder. The best way to learn is to do it yourself.

If you are completely unfamiliar with the process, ask an experienced local builder to show you the basics. There are a number of fine books out there that do illustrate the process perfectly.

I believe the key is to patiently keep at it until a builder is confident in their skills, and he/she finds a particular method they feel comfortable with. That might mean taking an old rod/blank or even long wooden dowels, and practicing your wrapping and finishing skills until you feel confident to actually tackle a true rod building project. Every book or website illustrating the rod building process emphasizes the importance of practicing the craft before attempting a project. That would certainly mean the difference between building a useable rod you can be proud of, versus a rod that is done, fuctional, but will sit in a corner of your garage unused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2007 08:24PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 08:29PM

Patrick is right! What is good for me might not be good for you. No matter what you watch or read, it takes practice to develop a technique. Rodmaker Vol 9 issue 1 has a great illustrated article detailing how to get a perfect finish every time. Back issues are available on the left. (it will still take practice. Click on the Directory at top of page and locate a builder near you. Check out the library above. Use the SEARCH function on this site and type apply finish and select ALL DATES. There is a ton of info available

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.161.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 10:49PM

Quite right. Watching somebody do it isn't going to be nearly as good as doing it yourself and following the basic tips. Different finishes, while similar, act a bit differently.

For similar reasons, a method that works for one, might not for another. I tried Rich Forhan's method once and it was a complete disaster. Other folks use that method with great results. Like any other craft, some things take practice. It's not something that happens overnight. You gotta put in the work. Watching me use a crab fork, Mike using a playing card or Tom using a sable brush, with different finishes is no substitute doing it yourself.

Best advice I can give, is how I learned. Spend a couple of bucks and get a package of finish for the sole purpose of learning. Mix it up and apply it to a pen, a stick, wooden spoon, anything round, and then experiment using the tips that are in here and Rodmaker. You don't need thread or guides. Once you do that, you'll learn good finish in no time at all, especially if you don't have the pressure of ruining a rod. Do it whenever you are bored. Take an hour, sit down with a mix and learn it. How long to let it sag, how to wick it, when to turn it and how often, when to leave it alone. By the time you get through that first epoxy kit, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get a decent finish.

I watched guys do drywall and tile for years. Thought it would be a snap to do it myself until I actually tried. Turns out it is a snap, after I screwed up everything I thought I had learned from TV and books. Sometimes you gotta get the hands dirty a bit to learn.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 22, 2007 12:18AM

Great advice Mick; There are Methods and there are Techniques to the Methods. Technique is a personal thing, something you have to develop on your own, and everyone has his/her own technique of mastering any skill.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster