I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Spools and Casting Distance
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 05:21PM

When I was growing up all the spinning reels had large diameter spools. Then in the 80's or maybe the early 90's, everybody came out with smaller diameter spools and claimed they gave you more casting distance. Now I'm seeing ads for a company that is coming out with large diameter spools and claiming that they give you greater casting distance. I can only guess that everybody will move back to large diameter spools now.

Is the whole fishing industry a bunch of smoke and mirrors and marketing gurus? Which type spool really does give better casting performance? Are we going to wake up in ten years and find everybody has gone back to small diameter spools and claiming that they give greater casting distance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Spools and Casting Distance
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2006 06:37PM

You can easily figure this out for yourself. Take two reels of roughly the same size, but one with a larger diameter spool than the other, load both with the same line size and type, and cast them both on the same rod. Try several rods with both reels, so you get some idea of how butt guide size affects them.

I can tell you which will cast better, but you'll learn more if you go out and do it yourself. Have fun.

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 07:08PM

Just a passing thought. I try to have my first guide at least 1/2 the size of the spinning reel spool, if there was a return to the large spools that would make for a mighty big fist guide.

rhr

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 07:48PM

all of the long distance spinning reels ive seen have a longer spool

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 10:47PM

Take two reels with the same diameter spools and the one with the taller spool should cast farther. For example an older green Penn verses the newer Daiwa Emblem Pro. Similar diameters but different spool heights.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2006 10:53PM

I assume he's talking about spool diameters, not length or height.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:10PM

Here's an old link with some distances and information regarding Chuck Wilson. Chuck held the US championship for several years. Since his undergoing extensive neck surgery his distances have dropped to about 650'. Mark Edwards is the current champion. His best cast that I an aware of is 751'.

Don

[www.hanapaa.com]

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 10:13AM

Tom is right, Ken is talking about spool Dia and it is only common sense that if one revolution emits 5 inches of line and the smaller dia spool emits 3 inches of line the 5 inch larger dia spool will cast farther...up to a point where the line gets low on the spool making the lip an ever growing mountainous hurdle to over come. So at some point the lengt of the spool slot above the arbhor has to come into play, also the diameter of the that arbhor, The spool taper adds to casting length if it is of a larger dia at the base then it is at the spool lip. The slot length has alot to do with how far and how easily you can achived better distance on a cast, in that the amount of line that is held in the widest dia possible on the spool is also a very significant contributing factor, and the slot length will limit things also.. almost as much a spool dia. The fact of the matter is that the spool is two dimensional when it comes to achieving efficient longer casts. The question was posed about only one dimension which is simpole enough to extrapolate an answer....Now, if the slot for the sake of this hypothetical situation, was one line thickness long, in that, each succeeding revloution of the line would be stacked upon the last line coming off the spool even a larger dia would not make for efficient casting distances beyond a certain range, where as a smaller dia spool with more line stacked in a greater dia (near the outside of the spool cavity) could beat out the larger dia spool.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 10:26AM

OK Chris, what did you do with Cliff??????????????????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 01:07PM

Simply put, there's a link between spool diameter and length, and a compromise where they meet that offers the best between both worlds. Too long and you get friction from the line dragging from the back of the spool. Too deep and there's too much friction coming over the spool lip once a lot of line is out. Then on top of all of that you gotta worry about line capacity in case you hook into a beast once you get that record breaking cast out there!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 12:45PM

Mike:

I got Cliff a job, and then did a search on is posts...Hes around lurking, chomping at the bit, but probaly has little left after working for the Man all day

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.110.---)
Date: December 15, 2006 01:20PM

well look at Alvey reels...They are more or less a 5-7 inch wide spinning rod spool specially designed for casting long long diatances...Some of the record holders use them. And I don't think that the spools are very long either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster