I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DanCraft FTL 906-6
Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.124-84-212.ippool.ndo.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 01:23PM

Anyone built or cast the FTL 906 yet? Looking for some views as i'm about to order either this blank or the 905 FT.

Cheers

Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DanCraft FTL 906-6
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 02:01PM

They are both great blanks but difficult to compare as the FT's have a faster action with a lot of reserve power while I find the FTL blanks more typical in action and power. I use a FT905-4 combined with a Rio 6 WF Nymph line as my main rod fishing the Missouri River in MT. I finished a FTL904-6 for myself recently and have been informed by an acquaintance that lawn casted it that he wants it. My instructions were to, "just send a bill".

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 06:15PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.helmednet.org)
Date: October 24, 2006 06:37PM

I recently built a FT 907 for steelhead and light salmon fishing. I have been casting an 8 wt line with it from shore and drifter with no problems. Stan was kind enough to let me use his FT 905 for a week earlier this fall. Both rods are a joy to cast. I really don't see how you could go wrong with the FT. It's great to see a rod function as advertised.

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: October 25, 2006 03:19AM

Daniel,

If this is to be your alround rod for NZ as per your previous post I would go for the FT. I think it will serve you better than then FTL here. You will encounter all sorts of conditions here. Sure you may lose something in finese in some situations, just maybe, but it would not be many. Your previous post asked about 6 wts. I see the FT 6 wt is listed as out of stock on Dan's site and maybe why you are considering the FT 5 wt vs FTL 6wt. Based on my experience with an FT 9wt you should not have any problems puching a 5 or 6 wt line out with the FT 5 wt.

Cheers
John

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: October 25, 2006 10:41AM

while both blanks are very good,the FT will definately have more power.I haven,t tryed a 9ft 5wt,but have 10ft 5wt and it is an excellent rod ,drys ,weighted, wets and streamers. having said that,I also have an FTL 4wt that is also very sweet,flexes further down blank,very lite and just enjoy it more ,the more I use it.I prefer the action of 10ft FT over 9ft ,but thats maybe just me .they are fastest rod I,ve ever used and better caster might think different.I like 5wt dt onFT and underline 4wt FTL to3wt .Again just my preference. Daryl

Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.126-84-212.ippool.ndo.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 11:12AM

John, my thoughts exactly. I don't mind losing a little bit of finesse as I also have an 8'6 Scott S3 in a #5 to take. Was thinking the FT would give me a greater range of options with regards to wind, distance, very heavy nymphs etc. I'll do some searches on the 905 FT, but I think i've already made up my mind!!

Thanks all for your help.

Daniel

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 07:18PM

If versatility is a factor the FT provides it. The FTL is a pleasant medium fast action rod that I enjoy casting but the FT's are remarkably versatile.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.wsw-online.de)
Date: October 26, 2006 06:34AM

Daniel,
I've just build the FTL905-6 for myself. Fished it a few times I'm more than impressed from this rod.
Although it's a 6-piece it is the lightest 5wt I ever hold in my hand, lighter than the 4 piece SIGV and much lighter than the FT905-4. The action of the FTL is more on the medium fast side but pretty fast in recovery. For me it is a perfect overall trout rod with a crisp casting feel, perfect for dry and nymph fishing.
I also have the FT905-4. Although it is not a problem to do it with the FTL … when it comes to streamer fishing or (heavy) weighted nymphs I would prefer the FT.
I would say if I must choose one of both I would go with the FTL. But if I would have a chance to buy a second one that would be the FT.
Cant tell about the FTL906-6 but I thinks it should a similar overall casting feel to the FTL905-6.
Hope it helps.
Stefan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2006 06:34AM by Stefan Scherf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster